Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #106
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post

I tell the v twin guys its a 180* Vee, They look puzzled for a minute.

David

That's a good one.

I've had guys tell me that my old BMW was just a Guzzi with saggy jugs...

I rather the 180* Vee idea.
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #107
GSMotorrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
is the Lo Rider the replacement for R1200c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recht View Post
They may turn out to become highly collectable in the future, like the Edsel.
I just don't see how it can't. People will say it was ahead of its time, when gasoline prices raise enough to create a new market for smaller displacement cruisers. 68 hp is a heck of a lot of fun to me. If i wanted to go fast, I wouldn't ride a "cruiser".

To me, cruising is a relaxing, mellow experience, just enjoying the ride. I've never been an adrenaline junkie, and the R12c is all the bike I need. It feels especially fast after riding the KLR for a while, another bike that is considered to be slow. I like slow bikes.

I'm just waiting for BMW's next cruiser. If they never do another one, the R1200c will be worth even more as a collector's piece. They already stole the "c" designation for that City Scooter thing, that costs more than the 650GS (i think).

That might be a way of telling us there'll never be another "c" like the chromeheads.

Whatever happened to that concept bike that sort of looked like a stripped down chromehead? It was like their Confederate Hellcat, Lo Rider 2008 concept bike. It is supposed to actually be released this year, according to

February 12, 2013, New York Times BMW Concept Motorcycle Is Headed for Production

"Four years ago at the International Motorcycle Show in Milan, BMW presented drool-worthy drawings of a brawny looking cafe-style concept bike. But that bike faded from memory as BMW’s 193-horsepower S 1000rr superbike was introduced in 2009, then the K1600 6-cylinder touring bikes in 2011.

Now, for the 90th anniversary of BMW the concept bike is on track for completion, as a tribute to the original BMW, the R32.

The new bike, which is still being called the concept bike, is likely to be the last new model that will have an airhead-type engine. BMW will start converting its boxer powered bikes to a water-cooled version this year, starting with the R1200GS.

The R32 was born following World War I, when BMW was forced to diversify from making aircraft engines. Many BMWs today still have the shaft drive of the original 1923 R32 and horizontal cylinder heads that stick out for improved cooling. That feature of the design led devotees to dub the design the airhead.

The current boxer engines are called the oilhead, for the addition of an oil cooling system seen on the 1994 R1100 RS. But this year the boxer starts going fully water cooled.

Details are still scarce, but BMW expects the concept bike to arrive in the United States by the fall of 2013. No word yet on final design or price."

Is that the new iteration of the R1200c?

GSMotorrad screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:04 PM
GSMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #108
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMotorrad View Post
... Is that the new iteration of the R1200c?

I thought this was pretty slick. I saw a couple versions in person at one of the bike shows at the time, and liked it. I told the guy that if they built that, but with a Telelever front, I'd be very tempted.

BMW seems to have an amazing talent for almost making bikes that I want.

The C, though, was a bike that I did not want. Not even for a minute. Yuck.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #109
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Historically, BMW has never been much of a leader in any performance category, whether horsepower, handling, etc. Their reputation was for well-built, reliable, and long-lasting lightweight sport-touring machines, with emphasis on the touring. With the exception of a few highlights in their history, like the R69S or R90S, they've hardly been taken seriously at all as a builder of performance sport motorcycles.
I think this is a matter of perspective more than anything. BMW practically owned the 1930s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorc...d-speed_record

I can't get this YouTube video to imbed, but it's worth watching and on topic. http://youtu.be/14dCNL1pzCA

You point out the R69S and R90S, but taken in the context of history (particularly of a company that was in ruins at the end of WWII) those bikes can really be seen as a return to form for BMW Motorrad. The K1200R was the world's most powerful naked bike at it's debut (and still accelerates quicker with a higher top speed than the now more powerful B-King). Aside from the S1000RR, the K1600GT/GTL are often referred to as tourers for sport bike riders.

I don't think BMW has ever "defined" itself as a touring bike or an adventure bike company. The R1200C and the C1 scooter show their willingness to try something different and desire to not be a cookie cutter outfit. But even with decades missed here and there, they definitely have a pedigree in high performance bikes, as well.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #110
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
I just don't see how it can't. People will say it was ahead of its time,
eh... I think it will be known as the Peter McNeeley of motorcycles: brave for stepping in the ring and taking up the challenge, but we all knew it didn't have what it took to go toe to toe. And very few of us were surprised with how quickly the towel was thrown in the ring.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #111
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Personally, I've always thought the R1200C was gorgeous and still do. No sarcasm, no joke. I think it's beautiful in the same way a CB750 is- it has a purity in its design of a classic motorcycle shape, but with an interpretation that's fitting to the era and country it came from. It has the essential lines, but unlike the Japanese clones it has its own distinctive engine. That's one reason I'll always hold this, Triumph triples and Bonnevilles, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, and older UJMs in higher regard than Shadows, Intruders, Boulevards, etc. ad nauseam.

I love the gas cap being off the centerline of the bike and tank. I love the asymmetrical instrument cluster that's made of metal rather than cheap plastic. I love the creamy off-white paint job and the pin striping matched with a brown leather saddle. I love the pillion seat that flipped up to be a backrest. I love rounded square-ish-ness of the first oilhead jugs. I love the sculpted and polished look of the telelever. (I wish the telelever looked this good on my '11 R1200R Classic.)

I test rode an R1200C and I was just too young to be willing to go slow, unfortunately. I was just coming off coming off a Multistrada 620 thanks to youthful exuberance and the de-tuning BMW did to compensate for lack of paralever just left the bike feeling neutered in my quest for adrenaline. I'd rank this bike right up there with a 916 and 1098 on my list of "Prettiest Bikes of the Past 20 Years". It's just a shame it was a gutless wonder.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #112
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
A coupla yrs ago I showed up a bit late to a Beemer group demo ride & a 1200C was my only choice. Geez whatta fugly POS that thing was. It performed lousy too.

But to top it, back at the stealer's they had a 1200CLC in a nasty shit brown color. They prolly hadta give that awful thing away.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #113
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Beauty is in the eye, I guess, and you clearly have something in yours. I can't argue the R1200C is a good performer, it's just plain not. But it is gorgeous, even if in an avant garde way, and I can't believe so many people dismiss it so quickly. Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Beside, clearly the Kawasaki Vulcan with that fairing is the fugliest bike on the road!