User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Shifting while standing

Been ridin' for a few years, just getting into the dualsport stuff and with a 12GSA "easing into it" knowing it is less suited to certain terrain, esp. for a noob....so, how do shift while standing? I've watched the Dualsport riding techniques and plan on going for the BMW courses, but don't recall seeing anything on the vid. or read about it here. Is it something that comes more natural once you adjust the controls for standing and get some time off-road?

Thanks all
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
It's very easy to shift down. Can be a little trickier to shift up, but then as a noob/amateur you usually don't "have to" shift up right at that moment.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,462
I think it just takes practice. Get used to standing and riding and you'll be shifting without thinking about it.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,403
You should be able to ride the bike in almost any terrain while standing so if you're having trouble shifting it may be because you haven't set the controls up correctly for standing.
You should have the arch of your feet on the pegs and the brake and gear levers set readily to the feet. Obviously as you need to shift both up and down the gear lever setting is a compromise, I have mine set in the middle position and tilt the foot either up or down to engage the lever.

Check where your handlebars are set. Are they high enough to comfortably reach when standing? Do they need moving forward or back? Are the hand levers angled down enough to reach easily when standing?
Set the bars and bar controls correctly and you will find standing easier and hopefully the shifting will feel more comfortable.
A last thought; when I began standing I spent a lot of time in an empty parking lot practicing slow speed turns, accelerating, braking and stopping. I needed a bit of time to gain the confidence that the bike was controlable at low speed and in this different riding position, that may be worth practicing.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Sometimes it just takes a bit more knee bend, other times I shift with the toe or heal of my boot and the foot is clear of the foot peg. It just depends.

If you ride standing a lot or wear MX boots, then adjusting the shift lever up some helps quite a bit.

There is only the techinque that works for you.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
I don't even have to think about it.
But I don't use the clutch.
It's in the throttle control, and floating the gears to match.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I consider myself an offroad noob; usually when I need to stand to ride over a section of road there is little if any gear changing. I do occasionally (rarely?) practice figure 8's and emergency stops in a bumpy gravel carpark though and will do a few gear changes there.

And maybe it's just me but my eyes play tricks on me making it hard to see the 'f' in this thread title ...
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
I used to ride trials, and still kinda do, so shifting while standing is really easy. Its just a bit more cramped on the KLR for the shifting foot than on the Scorpa 125...Just takes some getting used to. And +1 for adjusting your controls for upright riding - that is, if you are going to ride a lot standing up as it might compromise your comfort while sitting on the paved roads...

Belgian Waffles

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
Fast Eddie
GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer: 420
Consider switching to a shorter shift lever. Touratech and Wunderlich both make one that is either adjustable or fixed but shorter. I have one of each and like the wunderlich better. I don't reach the shifter tip if my arches are on the pegs and have to slide forward, (size 11 boots). With the shorter lever it's a lot easier. Both of thes have folding, spring loaded front ends that dont break or bend if you hit something. You can rotate them down in front a little on the splines and that also helps.

If Emmanuel Kant, can Ghenghis Kahn?

'05 R 1200 GS
'06 R 1200 GS
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Great! thanks for the insight. At the moment most ridin' is paved with the odd dirt road I may come across while traveling. I"ve tried the body positioning mentioned in the DSRTs video and was a bit cramped. I guess I've just got to find the happy medium on control postitioning and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks again -

For Ben-M (ShiFting while standing) Better?

SCflyer screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 05:43 AM
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer
For Ben-M (ShiFting while standing) Better?
What can I say, I'm just a bit twisted.
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,844
I don't use the cluthc while standing/trail riding. Just get used to shifting cluthcless and it makes it sooo much easier

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
kYLEMtnCRUZr
Got Singletrack?

Oddometer: 59
Ride a trials bike, you have to learn to shift while standing!

stand, place weight on right foot, shift with left, receive cookie lol.
kYLEMtnCRUZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Put some grip stuff on the sides of your tank where your knees go, and get used to clamping onto the tank with your thighs/knees. Once you've got that down it's much easier to adjust your foot while standing, because you can transfer weight to your knee, and then move your foot to shift up or down. I recommend Tech Spec Ice Grip if you want to kinda maintain the look of the bike, otherwise they make other ones that are more obvious, and Stomp Grip has been recommended as well.
...I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand - with impunity and grace.
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Ride a trials bike, you have to learn to shift while standing!

stand, place weight on right foot, shift with left, receive cookie lol.
You also have to learn how to move your foot way off the peg to do so... Most trials bikes have the shifter far enough away from the peg to not be hit by accident in a section. In addition, most riders move the shifter up at about a 45-60° angle to avoid having it hit or come into contact with something while riding a section. A lot of riders will use their heel to upshift too.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote