ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #1501
rj95lss
Been There

Oddometer: 197
I have decided to lay off my Land Rover build as the parts are too expensive and I still have a loan on it. So I picked up my winter project last weekend and I drove all the way to Arkansas to get one with a rust free straight body. Its a 1987 Suzuki Samurai rare "TinTop" with 129k on the clock and its the JX model with all the options. Everything except the gas gauge works which I have a new sending unit on the way.

My fiance and I have already started working on it together. I know what you are thinking and yes she is the coolest chick in the world. (pretty sure a couple of you have met her).

BIG BIG BIG plans for it this winter (suspension, paint, interior, motor swap, power steering, disk brakes, Etc) and I will throw a picture of it up every couple weeks or something.

So far we have cleaned it, put on all new rear and side lens, painted the bumpers and molding, oil change, and plugs & wires. The real fun hasn't even begun.

We are going to take the CJ wheels I got for it off tonight sand and prep them and paint them it a black hammered finish.

Our goal this winter is to accomplish this list:
  • swap a 1.6L fuel injected Geo Tracker motor
  • add power steering
  • custom steel bumpers & winch
  • rear roll cage
  • paint (haven't decided on color(s) yet)
  • switch to disk brakes in the back
  • custom over the top steering
  • SPOA (spring over axle kit) 4-5in lift
  • 1in body lift to ease motor swap
  • lockers and gearing
  • automatic hubs
  • sparco seats
  • momo steering wheel
  • Hella fogs + projector headlights
  • 31x10.5 R15 MT's
That's the plans so far but you know things go so we will see if we stick to the plan...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #1502
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj95lss
Our goal this winter is to accomplish this list:
  • swap a 1.6L fuel injected Geo Tracker motor
  • add power steering
  • custom steel bumpers & winch
  • rear roll cage
  • paint (haven't decided on color(s) yet)
  • switch to disk brakes in the back
  • custom over the top steering
  • SPOA (spring over axle kit) 4-5in lift
  • 1in body lift to ease motor swap
  • lockers and gearing
  • automatic hubs
  • sparco seats
  • momo steering wheel
  • Hella fogs + projector headlights
  • 31x10.5 R15 MT's
That's the plans so far but you know things go so we will see if we stick to the plan...
Lulz

I am having a hard time imagining all that work being worth it just to be steering one of those gutless wonders around

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #1503
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Nice build, need help LMK I used to be BIG into wheelin.

My $0.02 Go with Toyota axles and a 2.0 out of a Vitara/Tracker and at least 33's, but damn they have zero wheelbase and get spooky off road if you get them too tall. Don't be afraid to cut the fenders to make room for the tires.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #1504
rj95lss
Been There

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Nice build, need help LMK I used to be BIG into wheelin.

My $0.02 Go with Toyota axles and a 2.0 out of a Vitara/Tracker and at least 33's, but damn they have zero wheelbase and get spooky off road if you get them too tall. Don't be afraid to cut the fenders to make room for the tires.
I think this year I am going to keep it simple(r) and keep the stock axles and gearing. I thought about the 2.0 swap but its not as easy... I am also thinking about a 1.6 or 1.9 VW diesel as well just not sure.

As far as tire size I think the 31x10.5 looks the best. Anything more and it just looks like a monster truck. This thing only weights 1900 lbs and is tiny...

You can totally come down and help out if you are bored this winter though.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #1505
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Never too big!

My old pile after it's 3rd or 4th build. It got scraped and parted soon after this trip
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #1506
rj95lss
Been There

Quote:
Never too big!

My old pile after it's 3rd or 4th build. It got scraped and parted soon after this trip
NICE... Keep in mind I want to keep this street-able and be able to still go 55mph down the highway at close to stock comfort (as much as possible).
Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #1507
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
NICE... Keep in mind I want to keep this street-able and be able to still go 55mph down the highway at close to stock comfort (as much as possible).
I hear ya. we have no place to wheel around here anyway, so no need to get carried away. It was bad enough when I lived in Kansas City. Mine was streetable just before that pic when it had 33's, 36's, 37's when it was a 4runner....rolled it and it became a pickup there with 40's on it...rolled it a few more times and a friend here in CR bought it but never rebuilt it and I have no idea where it is. Yeah I miss it.

Anyway I am game to help out sometime. My GF lives in Cville right on the NL border so should be super simple to make an excuse to head down for two reasons. Paint and body work is not my thing. I enjoy suspension, axle, drivetrain work and minor fab work though it's been a long time.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #1508
gurutogo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey thanks for the info. I was looking for this exact thing. I'm in Iowa City (east side) and have been riding the B roads a lot lately since they are easily accessed from my house and I have a little Qlink XP200 I just picked up for a fart around bike. Get's the job done but it's no speed deamon.

Best B roads I've found close by are white oak then over to vincent. You can actually put together loop from taft and over to wapsi to vincent over to white oak (over the closed road bridge, this is pretty cool!) and down. I haven't done the full loop yet because I have just been piecing the roads together until now thanks to these maps. Looks like white oak has some other sections down south.

Hit me up if you want to do any riding. Weekday days usually work best for me but might be able to sneak off during the weekend once in a while.

Also the road up by swan lake is pretty decent but I haven't ridden it on the motorcycle yet (though I'm sure I will many times in the future). It goes over to Amana and there looks to be some other curvies over near the river by Amana. Let me know if you know of any other good rides in the area. Thanks Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
Sunday I had a free day with nothing much going on, decided to go for a ride. But where? I heard there was a resource to look up maps on the net, IADOT. This ended up being a good resource, I printed out maps for several counties and used a hiliter to show the "level B" roads. Some counties have only a few, some have many. I noticed Benton county had many of them for some reason (sparsely populated rurally?). So I headed to Benton county. There are some nice roads around Vinton along the river.

gurutogo screwed with this post 10-29-2009 at 09:16 PM
gurutogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1509
rj95lss
Been There

Gina is having her open house today and tomorrow. It starts at noon today and the party starts at 7pm tonight. A BMW rep will be there with the new S1000RR and if its dry he will be riding it on the street in front of the shop. I will be out there pretty much all day today and some tomorrow.

Also there is an auction in North Liberty tomorrow that has a scooter and 4wheeler and some other stuff (tools, furniture, Etc) if anyone wants to go let me know.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #1510
rj95lss
Been There

Quote:

Anyway I am game to help out sometime. My GF lives in Cville right on the NL border so should be super simple to make an excuse to head down for two reasons. Paint and body work is not my thing. I enjoy suspension, axle, drivetrain work and minor fab work though it's been a long time.
I should have all of the suspension and steering components by the end of next week and another set of eyes would be nice. I will will have beer too. I know how you like beer...
Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #1511
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Gina is having her open house today and tomorrow. It starts at noon today and the party starts at 7pm tonight. A BMW rep will be there with the new S1000RR and if its dry he will be riding it on the street in front of the shop. I will be out there pretty much all day today and some tomorrow.

Also there is an auction in North Liberty tomorrow that has a scooter and 4wheeler and some other stuff (tools, furniture, Etc) if anyone wants to go let me know.
I'll be in IC tonight, maybe we will stop by if it's decent out.

LMK on the 'Zuk, I'd be happy to help and payment in beer is always welcome
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #1512
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Somebody just posted a hunk of shit Razz on craigslist today, anybody want to help me pick it up?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #1513
rj95lss
Been There

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
Somebody just posted a hunk of shit Razz on craigslist today, anybody want to help me pick it up?
Yeah what a POS - . I would give him $50 but only after he gets it running and delivers it to my house with a full tank .

JK 30bones-
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #1514
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Cash talks and I can take payment in beer, other bike crap that interests me, chickie cheez tickets and top ramen.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #1515
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
don't worry, it will buff right out. And EL G.... NO.

CT update....headlight is working. Tailight almost wired up today. but it will not power on... getting closer.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote