ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #196
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Excuses Excuses... I got mine running!!! Just kidding buddy, yours is a little more work to fix then mine had... Give me a call when it's up and running.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #197
choochooman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Been "ridin & grinnin"

Looking forward to meeting/greeting other duel sporters. Live in Nevada (Nevaaaaadah).
Cambridge, IA is opening an off rode park this summer. I checked and 2 wheelers are welcome. Rode down there yesterday and work still needs to be done but hope springs eternal...the dirt will be flying soon.
Birds are out, the sun is shinning and the bike works fine...ain't life grand! See you out there...
choochooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #198
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,645
Anyone here **cough**RAY**cough** know what bikes can and can not be registered in Iowa? I know XR650R's area no go.

Guy has a plated KTM 400 motard/dirt in NY he may want to trade for the Dukey....Will anyone at the DMV know anything. I don't want to do this and have an illegal bike I can not register. Worst case I can register it in MO at a friends address, but they have inspections...uggh
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #199
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Anyone here **cough**RAY**cough** know what bikes can and can not be registered in Iowa? I know XR650R's area no go.

Guy has a plated KTM 400 motard/dirt in NY he may want to trade for the Dukey....Will anyone at the DMV know anything. I don't want to do this and have an illegal bike I can not register. Worst case I can register it in MO at a friends address, but they have inspections...uggh
You may have to have it re done like those chopper dudes do. You know... New vin.
Waterloo lodge #105 AF&AM
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
ShrinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #200
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones

Good news is KTM makes a street legal 400... Is this one he converted over or is it street legal from KTM?
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #201
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerDan
You may have to have it re done like those chopper dudes do. You know... New vin.
If it was that easy, why don't people do that with XRR's?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #202
choochooman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
KLR 650's can be registered street legal.....so we can ride to the trails! Iowa is damn unfriendly to the ATV gang....you "ought" to get a DNR tag on the wheeler somewhere for park use, unless it's private land only. I know this sucks as we are legal but to play you gotta pay.
choochooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #203
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

No desire to own another KLR, thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #204
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,798
Iowa DOT says KTM's that are not 50 state legal, are illegal in Iowa. Same for Huskys and any other Jap dirt bike that did not come 50 state legal.

But it depends on how strict your local county DMV is. You might as well forget it in Linn, Johnson, Dubuque, Polk and any other big city county. Doesn't matter if the bike was plated legally in another state, it will not transfer here.

But there are isolated cases where guys have got titles or their local rural DMV has not caught them yet. I talked to a customer today about this. He bought a KTM 200 that had a Iowa title from a rural county and he was able to sneak it through the Benton county DMV. Don't try that in CR or Dubuque, it will never fly. It all has to do with proper VIN and emissions stickers. In this county, if it's a KTM, they will come out and physically inspect the bike, before issuing a title.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #205
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Iowa DOT says KTM's that are not 50 state legal, are illegal in Iowa. Same for Huskys and any other Jap dirt bike that did not come 50 state legal.

But it depends on how strict your local county DMV is. You might as well forget it in Linn, Johnson, Dubuque, Polk and any other big city county. Doesn't matter if the bike was plated legally in another state, it will not transfer here.

But there are isolated cases where guys have got titles or their local rural DMV has not caught them yet. I talked to a customer today about this. He bought a KTM 200 that had a Iowa title from a rural county and he was able to sneak it through the Benton county DMV. Don't try that in CR or Dubuque, it will never fly. It all has to do with proper VIN and emissions stickers. In this county, if it's a KTM, they will come out and physically inspect the bike, before issuing a title.
Thanks for that info. This is all new to me since I just moved back here in the last couple years and was not into bikes in 1994 when I moved out of state.

Just odd since I thought you could register anything here, heard the stories, and having a hard time accepting it.

Chris
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #206
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,449
Pissed KTM license

Yeah don't do it in Hardin county either.

Here's the story, bought a very nice 2001 520 EXC, from Hickman racing down in Des Moines. Had the Baja Designs dual sport kit, horn and all. Street legal had plates and title.

I bought the bike, and when I tried to license it in my name the DOT came to my house and inspected the EXC and also my LC4 640.

The LC4 passed, the EXC's title went bye bye. Was worthless to me because I wanted it street legal to ride in places where the LC4 was too heavy. Sold it to a guy in Minneapolis who made it one heck of a fast sumo. He actually won races on her!

But boy could that bike climb hills down at bluff creek!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #207
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

This irritates me.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #208
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,484
I had trouble plating my KLX400S here! I told the lady it had turn signals and a horn from the factory. Took me two weeks of back and forth with the Mid America dinks in Sioux Falls to get them to admit it was street legal and sign the paperwork so Iowa DMV would plate it.
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #209
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubb
There are a group of riders from the area all non Harley, maybe some Buell, that get together to talk bikes once a month in Waterloo. Nothing formal, just show up anytime from 6-8 Tuesday night. In the summer some get together the Sunday after for a ride. Usually some go to the Crud Run and a number that go to track days.

"monthly get-together at L.J.'s from 6:00 - 8:00.
Stop in, have a bite and talk about the motorcycles that we will eventually get to ride!!
Ralph Longus"

Anyone welcome...have a good time. L.J.'s is a sports bar just off Kimbal Ave and on the South side of town near hwy 20. Let me know if you need more directions.

jw
I went to this last night. It was a good time.
Waterloo lodge #105 AF&AM
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
ShrinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #210
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerDan
I went to this last night. It was a good time.
Good turnout? I can always make an excuse to ride up to W'loo to visit my folks.