ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #2221
YZFBogie
Two Wheels Forever!

Oddometer: 418
Hey guys!! Picked up an extra set off FZ1 headers. Does anyone know anyone in the area who does ceramic coating??
YZFBogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #2222
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFBogie
Hey guys!! Picked up an extra set off FZ1 headers. Does anyone know anyone in the area who does ceramic coating??
VIP cycles can. They farm it out, but unsure to whom.

Rainbow coatings may as well. They are down off 6th St south of highway 30.

Keep us posted as I want to do this to the Husky
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #2223
YZFBogie
Two Wheels Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
VIP cycles can. They farm it out, but unsure to whom.

Rainbow coatings may as well. They are down off 6th St south of highway 30.

Keep us posted as I want to do this to the Husky
I got a quote from Jet-Hot of $235 plus shipping.

never heard of VP Cycles. I will try to contact them and Rainbow to see if they can do it and how much.

Jet-Hot has a really good warranty on their work too.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #2224
YZFBogie
Two Wheels Forever!

Hey Chris or anyone else...............Do you know anyone who does vinyl decals that could replicate the decals on the tank and tail of this bike??

Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #2225
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFBogie
Hey Chris or anyone else...............Do you know anyone who does vinyl decals that could replicate the decals on the tank and tail of this bike??
I can't remember what the name of the place is but it is just off I380 on along H, I or J Ave NE. They did the decals for my boat. I just walked in with a file of what I wanted. They refined it a bit and charged about $30 for each vinyl decal. Yours will most likely be two decals, because of the multi-color. Good luck. Oh ... that was about 5 years ago ... I think they are still there?
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #2226
The Daver
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello from Dubuque

Hey there. I am new the the ADV forum, so not sure if this is correct spot to post. I am from Eastern Iowa (Dubuque). Been having a good time riding eastern Iowa (especially Jackson County).

Holler if you know any good spots out this way or are going riding.

David
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #2227
choochooman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Eastern shore- Clinton

Hey Daver, rode some up in the Mc Gregor area. Had a great time on the great River ride a couple of years ago....I work for the railroad and my run is from Boone to Clinton....perhaps one day we compare notes on riding duel sport bikes. I have a KLR 650 for the duel sport riding....all the best man...perhaps our paths will cross..
choochooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #2228
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daver
Hey there. I am new the the ADV forum, so not sure if this is correct spot to post. I am from Eastern Iowa (Dubuque). Been having a good time riding eastern Iowa (especially Jackson County).

Holler if you know any good spots out this way or are going riding.

David
I plan to be up your way Saturday to the Triumph dealer. Thinking about hauling my bike up there to do some riding. LMK if your interested in an afternoon ride. I have zero plans other than check out the new Sprint
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #2229
J. Thompson #5150
300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer: 213
So what do the local guys recommend? I'm looking for a good starter/intermediate bike. I'm a somewhat new rider, been learning on my brother's bikes over the summer and I'm looking for something for myself. I'm living in Des Moines but I go to the family farm quite a bit and it's in the country, about an hour away and probably three or four miles from the highway. I don't necessarily want a dual sport, but at the same time I worry about riding a Katana or something out to the farm. I learned on gravel so I'm comfortable with it but I'm sure gravel on a street bike is completely different. We've got bikes to ride out there so this is strictly a commuting kind of thing, just want something that will handle highway/interstate speeds, and still be comfortable for me. I'm a big guy so I probalby need a bigger bike but I don't wanna get in over my head.

Thoughts?
J. Thompson #5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #2230
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

V strom, Versys, SV650 to name a few. Just because you are big doesn't mean you need a liter bike.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #2231
choochooman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'm a big guy.....ride a KLR 650...hauls me anywhere I want. My son is also a big man who is young and nuts....he too rides this bike and it will do all he asks...although it makes me nervous! If you are long legged you will love the KLR....happy trails!
choochooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #2232
Cap'n Crunch
Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Anybody go on the Iowa Barn Foundation Tour last weekend? We went to 6 barns. Next year we plan on making a weekend of it. Good excuse to ride gravel roads and take pictures. http://www.iowabarnfoundation.org/index.htm
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #2233
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch
Anybody go on the Iowa Barn Foundation Tour last weekend? We went to 6 barns. Next year we plan on making a weekend of it. Good excuse to ride gravel roads and take pictures. http://www.iowabarnfoundation.org/index.htm
Never heard of it, but looks like a good time to me. I am hoping to do a lot of riding in '11 around NE IA, WI and MN
Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #2234
J. Thompson #5150
300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochooman
I'm a big guy.....ride a KLR 650...hauls me anywhere I want. My son is also a big man who is young and nuts....he too rides this bike and it will do all he asks...although it makes me nervous! If you are long legged you will love the KLR....happy trails!
Sadly, even though I'm 6'3", I still have short legs - like 30" or 32", depending on what clothing company you ask I did some looking around and I looked at a KLR but the seat height wasn't agreeable with me. The KLX my brother has only plays nice because it sits about five inches lower than stock due to worn out suspension. I also looked at the SV650, a 650R, and a 500R. The SV650 and 650R were more up my ally, though brand new they're a bit out of my reach. Earlier this week I took a test ride on a 500R and it seemed to be the compromise I need. Granted, it's old technology, but it seemed to handle well enough to suit my needs as a commuter, and I can still have sport styling without the hunched over, stretched out riding position. I'm also told I should be fine with a set of Distanzia's for my mixed surface commute without sacrificing handling. Unfortunately that particular bike wasn't for sale, belongs to a friend, but they're easy to find for cheap. If I can find a used 650R I'd love to have one but they're not too common to find used just yet.
J. Thompson #5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #2235
YZFBogie
Two Wheels Forever!

Just getting started as the budget will allow but here she is as she sits for now. :rock: