ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #2251
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmboyMotorsports
Dateline Belle Plaine:

OK, so Im the newbie here and this is my historic first post. No bike currently but in the market for an inexpensive enduro. Maybe an older XT500 for example. If you know of anything in the neighborhood, send me an email.
There are/were some XT's for sale here in CR this summer sitting out front of a house I drive by every day. Will look into it.

Street legal a must?
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #2252
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 475
new guy

Hey all, just a new guy checking in.

I'm in Marshalltown.

I've got a 09 Ulysses, and a 98 Sportster.
I'm not too experienced (only been riding 4 years), but I love riding. I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour this past summer on the Sporty with a friend from work, and we're planning on a Black Hills tour sometime next summer. I'm definitely taking the Uly on that trip.

I ride over CR way pretty often, my parents live in Lisbon. I don't know much about rides around Des Moines or Ames, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears (I know there isn't really much though).
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #2253
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Bogie and I are meeting at Dick's Sporting Goods at 11ish Sunday. Ride, eat, ride more. No idea where we are headed. I am unsure what bike I will be on, 'tard or Harley. Either way it will be a slab oriented ride.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #2254
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Bogie and I are meeting at Dick's Sporting Goods at 11ish Sunday. Ride, eat, ride more. No idea where we are headed. I am unsure what bike I will be on, 'tard or Harley. Either way it will be a slab oriented ride.
If all goes good might try to meet up with you guys. Will be on the KTM.

Dave

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #2255
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footprint
If all goes good might try to meet up with you guys. Will be on the KTM.

Dave
Sounds good Dave, I'll likely be on the Husky if I get around to putting my new seat pad/cover on this weekend.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #2256
RFP52IA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I am also new here from Clinton, IA. I'm not a new rider but new to this type of riding. Years ago I had a Buell ST3 and have always regretted the fact I was forced to sell it. After trying my friends Ulysses a few times I got hooked and got an 08 XB12X this summer. It has been so enjoyable to ride I am considering a BMW R 1200 GS to replace my, now dust covered, Cruiser. I know my limits enough to know I am not ready to climb a mountain or even a big bump, but I would like to begin exploring a bit. Are there any groups in this area that would be willing to help a off road virgin out? All of my current riding group are cruiser riders and don't venture off the pavement other than by taking that wrong turn. I would also like to return to Camping after being away from it for over 30 years.

I am a MSF Rider Coach and one of the Rider Coach Trainers in Iowa. Some of you may know the others, Mike and or Bill. I teach Rider's Edge at a HD Dealership and also do Quality assurance for the State and for Harley-Davidson.

And I am an old guy...58...so I don't react or bounce like I used to.

Ric

RFP52IA screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 09:23 AM
RFP52IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #2257
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP52IA
I would like to begin exploring a bit. Are there any groups in this area that would be willing to help a off road virgin out?
Just a couple points ... gravel roads + knob tires = safer rid'n; second point, downhill gravel cornering/stopping will be the hardest thing you'll encounter heading out on the Iowa backroads. Slow down so you don't have to brake in the corners. Or if you want to be aggressive, crank the throttle so you can drift through the corners, but you have to gauge how much your front wheel will wash or push through the loose gravel. Either way, sit as far forward on the seat as possible.

It's the best way to see Iowa, just get out there and do it! Watch this site for local rides, the guys have put together some GPS routes to link up the most scenic and technical routes and all different skill levels usually show up.
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #2258
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Looks Like I will be riding around Jackson county for a while Sunday. If you are interested in joining in be in Maquoketa by 9:00 am as we will be leaving at 9ish. PM me if you want to join in.

craig6785 screwed with this post 11-06-2010 at 08:43 PM
craig6785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #2259
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,906
Is that the secret way to post your phone number, without getting spammed?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #2260
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Is that the secret way to post your phone number, without getting spammed?
I here it helps. I guess we will see.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #2261
RFP52IA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPowered
Just a couple points ... gravel roads + knob tires = safer rid'n; second point, downhill gravel cornering/stopping will be the hardest thing you'll encounter heading out on the Iowa backroads. Slow down so you don't have to brake in the corners. Or if you want to be aggressive, crank the throttle so you can drift through the corners, but you have to gauge how much your front wheel will wash or push through the loose gravel. Either way, sit as far forward on the seat as possible.

It's the best way to see Iowa, just get out there and do it! Watch this site for local rides, the guys have put together some GPS routes to link up the most scenic and technical routes and all different skill levels usually show up.

Unfortunately no knob tires are made that fit the Ulysses. Thanks for the info.
RFP52IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #2262
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Sounds good Dave, I'll likely be on the Husky if I get around to putting my new seat pad/cover on this weekend.
Still hacking up parts of my lung... you guys have fun today.

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #2263
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Question

Just south of dsm here, and looking at a wr250 or a dzr400, but most of what I have been seeing are the 400e with title. Has anyone actually transferred and kept the title in Iowa, or would I be shooting myself in the foot
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #2264
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81
Just south of dsm here, and looking at a wr250 or a dzr400, but most of what I have been seeing are the 400e with title. Has anyone actually transferred and kept the title in Iowa, or would I be shooting myself in the foot
You have to buy the DRZ street legal version to be legal in IA. The dirt only cannot be plated legally. The recent streel legal Yamaha 250F can be titled too. Unfortunately it is nothing like the dirt only WR250F.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #2265
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Nice ride yesterday Bogie! Your bike looks even better in person, makes me miss a rev happy street bike.

Took the HD out later and think it's gonna stay in the stable another season unless I am talked into trading it on a sled