ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #2311
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal View Post
2whlrcr...do you have liners in your studded tires?

I've studded up a set or two before, didn't use liners but just used a set of soft terrain tires that had long knobs, and used screws that were "almost" into the tubes.

Looks like you put quite a few in there.
I learned the hard way that the more screws/studs you put in there, the less chance they will pull out because the force is spread out.

Kinda fun to do a wheelie over a log and then use the back tire like a chain saw and cut right through it!

Normally I like to get out at least once a month like another guy mentioned, but we sure have had a lack of "warmish" (above freezing works for me) weather this winter!
I do not use liners. I have been using 5/8" in the rear and 1/2" in the front. I too think the more the better. But you still have to leave enough edge distance, or else they will rip out easily. I didn't do that on the set I have pictured.

Plus I'm beginning to think the medium or harder compound tires work better. The rubber is harder and doesn't twist as easily, ripping off knobs or studs. But I usually just end up using whatever slightly worn tires I have laying around and I use soft compounds most of time.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #2312
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,439
Yah I don't think I ever tried any in a soft compound tire. I tend to have hard compound/soft terrain tires around, can never seem to get myself to like soft compound/hard terrain tires because we seem to get a lot of muddy conditions and they really plug up and slide.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #2313
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Where can I get studs locally and how much roughly? I have some worn MT-21's I could stud and try to have some fun this weekend
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #2314
2whlrcr
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Where can I get studs locally and how much roughly? I have some worn MT-21's I could stud and try to have some fun this weekend
Any motorcycle dealer can order screws through Parts Unlimited. If you get 1000 of the same size, I think they're around $60-$70.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #2315
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Any motorcycle dealer can order screws through Parts Unlimited. If you get 1000 of the same size, I think they're around $60-$70.
That far exceeded my budget.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #2316
2whlrcr
gooligan

Go to the hardware store and $20 should do the trick. Of course you get what you pay for and they won't stay sharp for long.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #2317
motometal
i like motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Where can I get studs locally
I don't think that's legal in Iowa!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #2318
motometal
i like motorcycles

I'm going to give the screws a try on my mini. The snow is pretty deep on the trails and it gets to be hard work getting the bike un-buried. Plus, there should be less force on the screws so I might not need so many (bike only weighs 160 fueled). Knobs probably are only long enough for 1/2 screws, though.

The other thing I noiced last time I "screwed up" a bike was how much it helped on frozen dirt (of course). They wear out pretty quick but if it's spring time by then, you might just be taking them out and pitching them anyway.

Any activity that gives an excuse to use quality cordless power tools is worthwhile.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #2319
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,394
Talking A little ride yesterday.

Went for a little ride around town yesterday. It was actually a pretty nice day:

That's the ethanol plant in the background.

Wanted to play today but it doesn't look like the sun will come out. No studs on this bike yet.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #2320
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

I put 30 miles or so on the Husky today. Not much, but it sure was nice to just ride for a bit.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #2321
motometal
i like motorcycles

screws are in. About 250 of them, hopefully that's enough, I mostly did the center. This little bike has shorter knobs, 3/8" is about the longest screw I could safely put in. But then, it doesn't have near the torque of a big bike. We'll see if they stay in there or get ripped out. One heat range colder plug and a bit richer on the needle and air screw to account for the cooler temps. Must try to resist the urge to use the bike as a chain saw during log crossings.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #2322
motometal
i like motorcycles

how did it go. Well, it was a good workout, using my leg as an outrigger most of the time. No problems getting stuck but fighting it the whole way. Snow is pretty deep. A couple times I managed to loft the front wheel up out of the snow and it realy took off then, sorta like when you plane out a boat. Will be better when more of this snow melts. Looks like the screws stayed in just fine.

I miss snowmobiles!

I think my winter riding will be mostly limited to DS'ing on back roads. I got some cheap hippo hands/mitts to go with the heated grips.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #2323
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Quote:
how did it go. Well, it was a good workout, using my leg as an outrigger most of the time. No problems getting stuck but fighting it the whole way. Snow is pretty deep. A couple times I managed to loft the front wheel up out of the snow and it realy took off then, sorta like when you plane out a boat. Will be better when more of this snow melts. Looks like the screws stayed in just fine.

I miss snowmobiles!

I think my winter riding will be mostly limited to DS'ing on back roads. I got some cheap hippo hands/mitts to go with the heated grips.

Send linky to cheap hippo hands please!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #2324
motometal
i like motorcycles

the mitts are Tusk brand from Rocky Mountain. I also picked up some cheap First Gear gloves, see below for the part numbers. If you happen to order the gloves too, be advised they run WAY small, as in order one to two sizes larger than normal. They are decent leather cold weather riding gloves for the money.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #2325
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Question

Quote:
the mitts are Tusk brand from Rocky Mountain. I also picked up some cheap First Gear gloves, see below for the part numbers. If you happen to order the gloves too, be advised they run WAY small, as in order one to two sizes larger than normal. They are decent leather cold weather riding gloves for the money.
Looked at the website, do you have brush guards? I have them on both my bikes and am wondering how they fit with mirrors and brush guards?

Photos please!

TIA