ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #2386
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
I'll be at the Springfield Mile turnin wrenches on a Triumph twin that weekend
I have some friends that go there every year. I could go this year but I would rather ride, than watch bikes go around in a circle. I would rather spend my money on gas in my bike than tickets.

I only have 3 day weekends for trips this year. New job at the ethanol plant, no vacation for a year.
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #2387
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
On a side note. I found a local Ceramic Coater here in the CR area.

Cool Concepts Performance Coatings

1053 Johnson Iowa Rd.
Amana, Iowa 52203
Phone: 319.540.1571 or 319.540.1572

Going to take the pipes off the HD and possibly the main pipe off the Husky and take it down next week to get a quote/drop off. Over the phone he said around $120 for the HD junk which seemed awfully cheap. Will keep y'all posted.
So I am going to get my HD slip ons, heat shield, air cleaner cover and the Husky's heat shield from coating today. $155 total. Not bad at all. Dropped off Friday @ lunch, called this morning with the word to come get em
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2388
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Niiiiiiice. I almost bought a 1999 version of that bike in blue but decided to hold out for the 950 Adventure.
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #2389
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Niiiiiiice. I almost bought a 1999 version of that bike in blue but decided to hold out for the 950 Adventure.
Nice bike Orangecicle.

She is no longer clean. What a beautiful day for riding today!

Anybody going to Struthers Brothers open house this saturday down in Des Moines?
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #2390
MikeFromMT
Past Tense
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Not in MT, for now.
Oddometer: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post

Anybody going to Struthers Brothers open house this saturday down in Des Moines?
If I'm not working, if the weather's good, I might.

(bike's all back together and ready to go another season)

ooooo, I see there's a gun show at the fairgrounds too, maybe I'll be too sick to work that day, (sniff-sniff) yep I definitely feel something coming on...
__________________
Tommy, what you ridin' there?
Uh... Roll top desk!


Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #2391
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Thumb Struthers Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post
If I'm not working, if the weather's good, I might.

(bike's all back together and ready to go another season)

ooooo, I see there's a gun show at the fairgrounds too, maybe I'll be too sick to work that day, (sniff-sniff) yep I definitely feel something coming on...
Might see ya there then MT.

I will be on my newly rebuilt 01 640 adventure. Will have TT Zega's for cases.

Might even put on the Renazco sitting in my basement because it's too purty to use!

Another buddy has shown interest in possibly riding in Fort Dodge at the OHV park tomorrow as well.

Whew what to do what to do.

Remember: A bad day of riding is still better than a good at work!
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #2392
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 440
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Remember: A bad day of riding is still better than a good at work!
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3 - 360 - Little Fauss & Big Halsy Flat Tracker
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #2393
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
Hey bud how is the project bike working out?
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #2394
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 440
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Hey bud how is the project bike working out?
Well, here's a story for ya. I live in an old chicken coop, true story! Half is a bar and half is my 'room' that I live in. It's kind of a studio setting. So, in the bathroom I have most of a 1961 Triumph 500 tore down and packed into the corner. In my 'living room/dining room/kitchen' I have a 1967 Yamaha 180 two stroke twin half tore down. And in the bar, I have what is left of a 1990 XT350. I have fun with my junk! So, since I have studio, I let my friends have band practice at my place. It kind of gets crowded with all my junk, all my bikes, and all the band equipment! After band practice last Saturday, in three hours time I had a pile of parts that was once the XT. This week all I have gotten done was order a few parts, sandblast and paint the swingarm, and start to sandblast the frame. I need to tear the engine down to see if the piston or the crank is locked up, or both. I am asking around to a few bike mechanics about going through the engine for me. I have a problem with going over board very quickly, so I thought it would be better to have someone else do the engine for me, and just a stock rebuild.
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3 - 360 - Little Fauss & Big Halsy Flat Tracker
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #2395
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
Well, here's a story for ya. I live in an old chicken coop, true story! Half is a bar and half is my 'room' that I live in. It's kind of a studio setting. So, in the bathroom I have most of a 1961 Triumph 500 tore down and packed into the corner. In my 'living room/dining room/kitchen' I have a 1967 Yamaha 180 two stroke twin half tore down. And in the bar, I have what is left of a 1990 XT350. I have fun with my junk! So, since I have studio, I let my friends have band practice at my place. It kind of gets crowded with all my junk, all my bikes, and all the band equipment! After band practice last Saturday, in three hours time I had a pile of parts that was once the XT. This week all I have gotten done was order a few parts, sandblast and paint the swingarm, and start to sandblast the frame. I need to tear the engine down to see if the piston or the crank is locked up, or both. I am asking around to a few bike mechanics about going through the engine for me. I have a problem with going over board very quickly, so I thought it would be better to have someone else do the engine for me, and just a stock rebuild.
Remind me not to come over for a visit sometime.

Sounds like an interesting place you have. My son lives on Mill street. Probably real close to where you live.

Well I guess you won't be going riding this weekend huh?

Good luck with the rebuild!
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #2396
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Remind me not to come over for a visit sometime.

Sounds like an interesting place you have. My son lives on Mill street. Probably real close to where you live.

Well I guess you won't be going riding this weekend huh?

Good luck with the rebuild!
It's not as bad as you would think. My girls still have enough room to break my stuff!

I am about have way between Iowa Falls and Alden, just a 1/4 mile west of the D15 corner in Twin Hills and a 1/4 mile north of D20, on 125th Street.
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3 - 360 - Little Fauss & Big Halsy Flat Tracker
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #2397
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
It's not as bad as you would think. My girls still have enough room to break my stuff!

I am about have way between Iowa Falls and Alden, just a 1/4 mile west of the D15 corner in Twin Hills and a 1/4 mile north of D20, on 125th Street.
I will find ya someday!

Not tomorrow, it's ridin time in Iowa!
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #2398
MikeFromMT
Past Tense
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Not in MT, for now.
Oddometer: 3,509
I just got back from a long day in Des Moines, I left Traer at 0645 and it was 28 degrees in town, rode to DM for a PGR mission, while there a rider rode past on a snarly sounding bike, sounded like a Ducati but looked kind of like a KTM what can I say, the sun was in my eyes, then went to Strothers for a brat/sandwich then a ride over to the fairgrounds for the gun show (that I left empty handed) followed by another 2 hr ride home. I never did warm up and now I'm missing our old hot tub, even so, I'm glad I didn't work today, I had much more fun.
__________________
Tommy, what you ridin' there?
Uh... Roll top desk!


Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #2399
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,348
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post
I just got back from a long day in Des Moines, I left Traer at 0645 and it was 28 degrees in town, rode to DM for a PGR mission, while there a rider rode past on a snarly sounding bike, sounded like a Ducati but looked kind of like a KTM what can I say, the sun was in my eyes, then went to Strothers for a brat/sandwich then a ride over to the fairgrounds for the gun show (that I left empty handed) followed by another 2 hr ride home. I never did warm up and now I'm missing our old hot tub, even so, I'm glad I didn't work today, I had much more fun.
Mike, I failed ya!

Sorry I didn't show up.

I did this instead! Click on photo for video.




Another buddy of mine wanted to look at a DRZ 400SM at racing unlimited. So we went there. Next saturday we are picking it up.

Then I took the 520 to the OHV park. It was a cold ride this morning. Glad my new windshield came this week.

Anybody know of any open houses next weekend?
__________________
Ride safe!!!!

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #2400
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer
 
ts3doug's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 616



no dual sport yet, but i'm thinkin i gotsta get one.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014