ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #3586
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter noob View Post
Hey all, I am in some need of help if it's possible. Sunday I was out riding some gravel roads and dumped the bike on a B maintenance rd. The handlebars are a little out of alignment, and I thought the right fork was tweaked back a bit, tho it looks even as of now. I rode the bike home from Winterset where I dumped it, and other than the handlebars it showed no probs. Can anyone in the DSM area give me a hand straightening them up? Thanks for any help.
I assume you already tried loosening the clamps and whacking the wheel on a tree/building/solid object until straight? Or is it more of a bend in the bar?

Posted during work using magic

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #3587
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 138
CD Ride

An exciting adventure coverinbg ove 6,500 miles with about 2,600 in the back trails. Almost all of it would be traversable by car or 4WD. Our route was the one by Cannonshot. Many amazing people. keep in mind that the divide part of this route is a popular bicycle route. We would see 5 or 6 riders each day all with stories. Many with over 60 days already into the ride. There was one streach in excess of 240 miles with nothing, not even in sight and you could see 50 miles unless the smoke was to bad. Six flat tires, one cracked or broken rib (we think) and no visits to the emergency room. And the stories go on. In some cases the names give up tails....like Pie Town NM....

Check it out

https://picasaweb.google.com/1184264...eat=directlink
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #3588
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
I assume you already tried loosening the clamps and whacking the wheel on a tree/building/solid object until straight? Or is it more of a bend in the bar?

Posted during work using magic
I haven't tried anything yet as I don't have a good idea as what to do. I figured I better not do anything without someone with knowledge guiding me. I'm still a noob.

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #3589
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubb View Post
An exciting adventure coverinbg ove 6,500 miles with about 2,600 in the back trails. Almost all of it would be traversable by car or 4WD. Our route was the one by Cannonshot. Many amazing people. keep in mind that the divide part of this route is a popular bicycle route. We would see 5 or 6 riders each day all with stories. Many with over 60 days already into the ride. There was one streach in excess of 240 miles with nothing, not even in sight and you could see 50 miles unless the smoke was to bad. Six flat tires, one cracked or broken rib (we think) and no visits to the emergency room. And the stories go on. In some cases the names give up tails....like Pie Town NM....

Check it out

https://picasaweb.google.com/1184264...eat=directlink
Thank's for the pictures, next time take me along.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #3590
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
I haven't tried anything yet as I don't have a good idea as what to do. I figured I better not do anything without someone with knowledge guiding me. I'm still a noob.
Whack it on a tree. If its still crooked whack it again. If you're going the wrong way, whack it the other way.

Of the bars are bent, buy new bars and grips. Don't forget the heated elements for under the grips!!

s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with the new iOS 6 installed with an attached nuclear power station!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #3591
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Got that MX, do I loosen the bolts on the tops of the clamps, or the bolts from underneath the clamps?

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #3592
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Got that MX, do I loosen the bolts on the tops of the clamps, or the bolts from underneath the clamps?
a lot of the time you don't even need to loosen anything. just make sure you aren't hitting your brake disc on whatever you are hitting. that piece needs to stay straight.
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #3593
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
a lot of the time you don't even need to loosen anything. just make sure you aren't hitting your brake disc on whatever you are hitting. that piece needs to stay straight.
I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks to you and M champ for the advice.

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #3594
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks to you and M champ for the advice.
Or just meet me at the Ames Thiesens tomorrow afternoon around 4 pm and I will show you how it's done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with the new iOS 6 installed with an attached nuclear power station!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3595
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Or just meet me at the Ames Thiesens tomorrow afternoon around 4 pm and I will show you how it's done!!

I would, but I'll be on my way to work about that time, I work nights now. Thanks for the offer though.

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #3596
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Hello All-

New guy to the forum here. Long time rider, currently living in the Amanas. Currently riding a Versys or the emergency backup motorcycle cb360. Neat to find a forum with some local folks on it. I'm about the only guy I know that doesn't ride a Harley so it would be cool to find some other local rides. I know the versys isn't a dual sport but I ride gravel every day so I know it will work in a pinch.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #3597
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnen2 View Post
Hello All-

New guy to the forum here. Long time rider, currently living in the Amanas. Currently riding a Versys or the emergency backup motorcycle cb360. Neat to find a forum with some local folks on it. I'm about the only guy I know that doesn't ride a Harley so it would be cool to find some other local rides. I know the versys isn't a dual sport but I ride gravel every day so I know it will work in a pinch.
Welcome usnen2.

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #3598
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
usnen, you're more than welcome to tag along with me sometime. i ride a speed triple, so i spend most of my time on pavement, but i'm not opposed to other surfaces.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #3599
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnen2 View Post
Hello All-

Check out my pages, I just came off a Versys and onto a Concours.

www.youtube.com/korysrides
www.facebook.com/korysrides
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #3600
sledrydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Another new guy checking in!

I am located in Waverly, Ia. I'd been out of riding for several years until this spring. Buddy of mine picked up a leftover 2009 TW 200 and I got the itch. Not real proud of my ride but it was incredibly cheap and has treated me well this summer. I picked up a 2006 200cc China dual sport which had gone through 2 brothers. Well used equip! Anyway I ride mostly gravel in the Waverly area (surrounding towns) and also around Decorah/Waterville. Anybody like trout fishing? Just returned yesterday from Waterville. Rode to Lansing and back and on down to Yellow River. Great riding and outstanding fishing. Not much pressure out in the boonies! Anyway. Neat site. Glad I found it. Troy
sledrydr is offline   Reply With Quote