ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #3976
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Well, now I feel bad for dropping a ton of money at KTM-parts.com! Should have talked to them first. I'll give em a call over lunch. Tried to this morning, but they weren't open yet.

Good thing they open early on Saturdays. I just hope they have my cable - or can get it by then.

Thanks guys.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #3977
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Well, now I feel bad for dropping a ton of money at KTM-parts.com! Should have talked to them first. I'll give em a call over lunch. Tried to this morning, but they weren't open yet.

Good thing they open early on Saturdays. I just hope they have my cable - or can get it by then.

Thanks guys.
I believe they order on Monday and receive their KTM shipment on Thursday. They have a very small inventory on hand. Good people. Small shop.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #3978
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

yup, my new throttle cable will be there a week from tomorrow. Quoted me the same price as what i found online, and was very helpful over the phone. Looks like I'll be visiting them soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #3979
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Ron and Doug are both great. I got my bike from there as well. I'll continue to buy various stuff from them...even though l do ride a BMW. I need to call and see if they can get me a Heidenau K60 rear.

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #3980
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter noob View Post
Ron and Doug are both great. I got my bike from there as well. I'll continue to buy various stuff from them...even though l do ride a BMW. I need to call and see if they can get me a Heidenau K60 rear.
Scooter, the answer today is no, they can't. Doug says the tire is not available through their normal distributer. Maybe some place like Revzilla??? I wanted a K60 front, but they couldn't get it, so I went for the Pirelli Rally.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 05:30 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #3981
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, Rev'zilla has it as well as Bike Bandit and a couple of other online stores. The bike gets serviced on 4/13 at the Cycle Clinic. I'll see what they can do.

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #3982
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

It's Alive!!!

And it's come a long ways:

Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #3983
Fishbonker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Tire question

I have read several tire threads in other forums but Im gonna ask this question in the Iowa Roll Call thread because you folks know the gravel roads we have. Im shopping for tires. My dealer suggests TKC80 front and back but after reading tire threads (mainly in GSpot Parallel Universe) I think Id be better served with TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear. I want to be able to ride Iowa gravel (crushed stone) with some stability as well as some two track, dirt road and mild off road stuff.

I am a noob rider on an F800GS. I want to take my motorcycle turkey hunting and the place I go is on loose gravel. Im afraid with the stock tires it would be like riding on marbles. Plus, like I mentioned Im a noob. My last experience was in the 70s on a 2 stroke Suzuki 185 TC. Im hoping I can regain some of my ability all these years later.

The motorcycle is a 2009 with OEM tires. 9K on the tread and they still look great. I have put 1K on since I became the second owner last September.

So what are some opinions for Iowa gravel tires? I have read many many ride reports and what they call gravel I call dirt with a few rocks thrown on top.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #3984
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Scooter, the answer today is no, they can't. Doug says the tire is not available through their normal distributer. Maybe some place like Revzilla??? I wanted a K60 front, but they couldn't get it, so I went for the Pirelli Rally.

Orangecicle,
Have you ran these before and if so what is your opinion of them? I just picked up a set for myself also. I ran MT 21's on my 640 and loved them not real high mileage tires but worked great. Hope the rally's work as good as the 21's.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #3985
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbonker View Post
Im shopping for tires. My dealer suggests TKC80 front and back but after reading tire threads (mainly in GSpot Parallel Universe) I think Id be better served with TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear. I want to be able to ride Iowa gravel (crushed stone) with some stability as well as some two track, dirt road and mild off road stuff. I am a noob rider on an F800GS. I want to take my motorcycle turkey hunting and the place I go is on loose gravel. Im afraid with the stock tires it would be like riding on marbles. Plus, like I mentioned Im a noob. My last experience was in the 70s on a 2 stroke Suzuki 185 TC. Im hoping I can regain some of my ability all these years later. The motorcycle is a 2009 with OEM tires. 9K on the tread and they still look great. I have put 1K on since I became the second owner last September.
Tough call. TKC80 is a good choice, but it all depends on how well it wears on your bike. No question about it, a TKC80 will not last 9K miles.

I'm hoping the Pirelli Rally will be good on gravel with a little air out. People say the Heidenau lasts incredibly, but they are a little hard to get. Here's a long-term ride report to Alaska: http://www.cjdesignsblog.com/heidena...on-a-big-bike/

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig6785 View Post
Orangecicle,
Have you ran these before and if so what is your opinion of them? I just picked up a set for myself also. I ran MT 21's on my 640 and loved them not real high mileage tires but worked great. Hope the rally's work as good as the 21's.
This will be my first time on the Pirelli Rally. The stock Pirelli Scorpion front is a little scary on deep gravel -- no feel in the front end at all -- and you take your life in your hands in mud. The Rally cannot be worse, that's for sure.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #3986
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's Alive!!!

Nice work! That has come along ways!

I can't do anything until I get my throttle cable since everything goes in on top of that. it'll be the week after next before I have a chance at firing mine up again.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #3987
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Ahhhh, Spring.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3988
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's Alive!!!

She's sounding VERY nice!!!!

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #3989
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Pretty much had enough! Next! Me and a couple of my friends are on the weather whine!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #3990
no_rice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbonker View Post
I have read several tire threads in other forums but Im gonna ask this question in the Iowa Roll Call thread because you folks know the gravel roads we have. Im shopping for tires. My dealer suggests TKC80 front and back but after reading tire threads (mainly in GSpot Parallel Universe) I think Id be better served with TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear. I want to be able to ride Iowa gravel (crushed stone) with some stability as well as some two track, dirt road and mild off road stuff.

I am a noob rider on an F800GS. I want to take my motorcycle turkey hunting and the place I go is on loose gravel. Im afraid with the stock tires it would be like riding on marbles. Plus, like I mentioned Im a noob. My last experience was in the 70s on a 2 stroke Suzuki 185 TC. Im hoping I can regain some of my ability all these years later.

The motorcycle is a 2009 with OEM tires. 9K on the tread and they still look great. I have put 1K on since I became the second owner last September.

So what are some opinions for Iowa gravel tires? I have read many many ride reports and what they call gravel I call dirt with a few rocks thrown on top.

Thanks
well, i ride everything i own(except my S1) down the gravel/sand/dirt/creek/ect all on stock street tires, Pirelli diablo's/super corsa's/michelin pilot powers/ect... and i usually dont slow down much. i can still have fun and make it the vast majority of places. but i do at some point intend to put a pair of the tkc80's on my sm610... id just like to find an extra set of rims to do that with though...

that kind of thing is more about your comfort level then it is about the tire...
no_rice is offline   Reply With Quote