ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #4546
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Are any of you planning on going to the central rally? I cant spend a week but I'm thinking about bombing up there for a couple of days. Is it a good time?
engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #4547
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
The North Country

Just got back from a 3 week trip up north to ride the Dempster. Got rained on (a lot) going up in southern BC and there were still lots of roads/bridges out on the way back through Calgary area. AK, Yukon and the NWT were great weather though. Pics from the Arctic Circle.

VO

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #4548
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Just wondering....Was three weeks enough time? Planning a trip up there next June....and that was our time frame....Love to see more pics and a ride report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincitOmnia View Post
Just got back from a 3 week trip up north to ride the Dempster. Got rained on (a lot) going up in southern BC and there were still lots of roads/bridges out on the way back through Calgary area. AK, Yukon and the NWT were great weather though. Pics from the Arctic Circle.

VO

2012 Tiger 800xc
2008 KTM 450EXC R
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #4549
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
What are you guys all using for tents? I am looking to purchase a 1 or 2 man tent that is light weight for the bike but stands up well to the rain when set up. Thoughts?
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #4550
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Tents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
What are you guys all using for tents? I am looking to purchase a 1 or 2 man tent that is light weight for the bike but stands up well to the rain when set up. Thoughts?
There has been much written about tents! I have a two man and a three man. Both have advantages. If you are going to use it moto camping you can get away with a bigger tent. I would encourage you to buy a good name brand you often get what you pay for. Free standing is also important, you don't always get to set up in a ideal place. If you attend some of the rallies you'll see all kinds. The one that impresses me right know is Big Agnes Wyoming ll.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #4551
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 409
Those hammocks with the bottom entry and rain covers seem to be a great option for moto-travel. I have been looking for one that will hold my fat ass.

I have a couple of tents that work well for moto travel but one is pretty cheap and generic while the other one is a 4 person tent that packs very small for its size. It is very sturdy and pretty nice for what it cost. But I can't see either of my size tents being an option with your limited packing space on the Z.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #4552
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
bike tents

I have a Kelty Crestone 2 man that works pretty well.

It has a durable carrying case if you want to strap it directly to the bike or you can stuff the individual parts in a drybag. It is designed for backcountry camping so its very light and small when packed. It's really more of a 1 man with some room for gear though.

This tent isn't made anymore but they were very popular in the early 2000's so there are still a number for sale. Just google it to find some.

The downside to this design is that is requires stake resistance to hold it up. Part of the main reason it was discontinued - People favor stand alone's. So if you're camping in a place with a rock base you have to get a little creative to keep it upright. Its a true three season though. Never felt like it was too warm in the Moab summer or too cold at 10,000 ft in a Colorado thunderstorm. The rain fly needs to be properly guy-lined or the tent walls will get damp. Its durability and easy of set up is fantastic though.

Overall, its tough, inexpensive, comfortable for 1, and lightweight. Great bike tent.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #4553
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincitOmnia View Post

VO

We need way more pictures and a story
You left us hanging
eemsreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #4554
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
We need way more pictures and a story
You left us hanging
Yeah. That was a horrible ride report. Just horrible.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #4555
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
i bought one of these earlier this year, haven't had a chance to go out yet. crazy busy spring and summer so far.

http://www.rei.com/product/845481/re...me-2-plus-tent

ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #4556
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #4557
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Just Placed an order for my new tent, ended up getting a Teton Quick Tent. Sets up in seconds all you do is unroll the tent from the bag and there is a guideline/drawstring you pull up on and it locks all the poles in place and your tent is set up. I thought after long days on the bike a nice quick tent set up would be something to look forward to.

You just grab the plastic base to steady it and pull up on the line shown in the picture and the tent is set up. The rain-fly buckles in on all four sides of the tent

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #4558
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
tent gizmo

Cool, you'll have to let us know how it works out.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #4559
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Will do! Looking forward to getting it and trying it out. It was purchased for my Lake Superior ride coming up in September.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #4560
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Will do! Looking forward to getting it and trying it out. It was purchased for my Lake Superior ride coming up in September.
Don't ask him about his trip. We are boycotting trip info due to him not inviting any of us.

ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote