ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #691
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,693
Alright Dan's getting a hotel room , let's PM El Guero and tell him to invite all those cute girls from his lab for the party

maybe not Yeti Betty though

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #692
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Oddometer: 1,173
Not gonna happen! I'd end up paying for more then the room. But who is this Yeti Betty though? Is she the chick that likes to show off her pubes?
Waterloo lodge #105 AF&AM
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
ShrinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #693
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerDan
Not gonna happen! I'd end up paying for more then the room. But who is this Yeti Betty though? Is she the chick that likes to show off her pubes?

right up to her belly button.
or so I hear.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #694
DVDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I know they're everywhere, but here's another short TWT ride report. (There may be photos later but the guy with the camera is still out there- somewhere.)
It was 1,132 miles from 3pm Friday to 2pm Tuesday.
Day 1) Left Cedar Rapids around 3 with Scott on his 690KTM, arrived at 2WHLRCR's undisclosed motosport park in Dubuque and hooked up with Richard from Indiana on his KLR. Set up camp, went out to eat, came back and it was raining. Since we had to ford Catfish Creek to get to our camp we were concerned we'd be trapped by high water. 2WHLRCR let us sleep in his horse barn. (its new and no horse had crapped in it yet). Scott got the Red Robin quickstep and decided not to go on the ride.
Day 2) Left in the rain. Richard GPS'd us out of town and into SW Wisc. He managed to find a road under construction with about 6-10 inches of gumbo.
Hosed off our boots and bikes at the carwash and ate breakfast at the River Cafe in Cassville. We followed Chad's TWT track the rest of the day. At around 4, I got a rear flat tire. Richard rode ahead and found out we were about 1/4 mile from Wild Cat Mountain State Park. He was able to get the last spot in the campground. (While I was waiting, I'm guessing about 18 Harleys went into the park, none offering help, one almost running into me. I shouldn't knock the HD's, though. You could tell the good taverns by how many were out front. And, if you happened to see one go by, it was a sure indicator that there was gas nearby.) I had a a 21 inch innertube which I stuffed into the 18" casing. Worked fine the rest of the trip. By the way, no bugs in Wisc. State Parks. Looking at the map, it appeared we hadn't made a lot of progress north. Had a good campfire and Tylenol PM worked its magic.
Day 3) Broke camp around maybe 8. The look of the terrain changed after Sparta. And like everyone says, there's a lot of sugar sand in that area. But some great riding. The day was a combination of forest service roads, gravel and some great winding highways for a little roadracing and virtually no traffic. It seemed like most of it was Amish Country, which might explain the no cars. We saw some quads, no dirtbikes, no dualsports. We camped near, I think, Day Lake, about a 1/2 hour south of Ashton. It was in a National Forest Service for the Criminally Insane campground. No cellphone service, no rangers, just the occasional guy driving thru looking for someone to hang in his shed. But it had the cleanest shitter in the Northwoods. The coyotes barked us to sleep.
Day 4) Rode up to Washburn for breakfast and then into the forests around Bayfield. We quit following the TWT track. Fantastic dirt roads with some ham-sized boulders to keep your attention. Lots of grade changes. Reminded us both of Colorado. Miles of trails, great scenery, and we literally did not see another vehicle until we left and dropped down into the Nebagamon Lake forest area. We decided to dead head down to Chippewa Falls for a motel. We took one highway that rivaled the Dragon for curves, only there were no cars and we could go 50-60 mph. We took a lot of dusty gravel. One stretch in the Flambeau Forest must have been 20-25 miles without an intersection. We rode in a staggered echelon when possible, but slipping out of the sweet spot meant eating big gravel. I managed to break the lenses on my headlights that way. Made it to Chippewa Falls around 6:30 or so. Stayed at the Indian Head Motel. There were some friendly women there that indicated they were happy that someone else was staying at the motel. Oh yeah, one was wearing a nightgown in the parking lot. Richard and I came to the conclusion that we didn't need a meth habit or to wake up in the dumpster without clothes or wallet. This wasn't on Chad's route.
Day 5) Parted ways with Richard. Slabbed it back to CR on bad case of monkey butt but no STDs.
Many thanks to Chad for setting up the trail.
DVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #695
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,624
Very nice! Glad to hear another enjoyed the TWT. Late July is when I am thinking about tackling some or all of it.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #696
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Me and johnny2k went to the bike night at the Vine in Coralville last night. Yes, I am a jackass

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #697
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Way to represent

There was a reason I never went back 2 summers ago, now I have another.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #698
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Way to represent

There was a reason I never went back 2 summers ago, now I have another.
There was a practical reason for this! It was the only way to get out of the parking lot to go west!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #699
CR_TurboGuy
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
There was a practical reason for this! It was the only way to get out of the parking lot to go west!
And it required a running start and trip into the bushes because...?

I went pretty much every week 2 years ago, and even when faced with not having a way out, a leisurely trip across the sidewalk always got me out without having to get a running start.

--JOsh
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #700
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_TurboGuy
And it required a running start and trip into the bushes because...?

I went pretty much every week 2 years ago, and even when faced with not having a way out, a leisurely trip across the sidewalk always got me out without having to get a running start.

--JOsh
Fine, fine, you got me...

I don't know if I'm going to go back. I might swing by when I've got the Magna all finished up, but it wasn't a real exciting time for me. And the food there is really expensive too!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #701
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
And the food there is really expensive too!
Meaning you had to pay for it? Sorry had to.

Is that still Tuesdays?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #702
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Meaning you had to pay for it? Sorry had to.

Is that still Tuesdays?
Wednesdays now. There were maybe 25 bikes there by the time we left, it was a pretty good cross section of bikers in IC - A few cruisers, some squids on KLRs, a couple Duc riders, various other sporty-types, etc etc. There weren't any old bikes though, which I thought was sort of a shame.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #703
CR_TurboGuy
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
I was never really impressed by their food. Wings were decent, but it's pretty hard to fsck up wings. I much prefer my new version of TWT where I grill out & drink homebrew.

--JOsh
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #704
drneo
mmm... delicious

Oddometer: 155
Hmm, I may have to check it out, I just moved here not too long ago and I haven't found anyone to ride with yet. No dualsport - but an 82 GL500, does that count as old??
Old 06-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #705
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Oddometer: 1,173
Bike nights on Thursdays in Waterloo are alot better. Take your pick. BJ's bar and Billiards acrossed from the cattle congress or Screaming Eagle on the corner of 4th and Lafyette are both slam packed. The eagle has got great food.
Waterloo lodge #105 AF&AM
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
ShrinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote