ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #91
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalGirl
Yes, if you are talking about the one that was for sale at King's Motorsports with the KTM bikes. The Suzuki is a nice bike. I've been riding it now around town and on the gravel roads by my house for a few days. It's nice and light and agile, and a good supplement to the much heavier BMW I have for adventure touring. Apparently they had the Suzuki for sale for quite a few months, but it didn't move because it was over winter. Does anyone know anything about changing tires on the DRZ 400 SM? Is it possible to put tires on it that are somewhat more dirt oriented than the super motard tires that are on it now? Thanks!

Michele
I'm sure that if you find the sizes on the tires that are on there you'd be able to find a set of knobbies to fit it. I saw that bike in Kings when I was looking but they couldn't give me prices on the KTM adventure bikes so I decided to take my business elsewhere.
Waterloo lodge #105 AF&AM
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
ShrinerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #92
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about changing tires on the DRZ 400 SM? Is it possible to put tires on it that are somewhat more dirt oriented than the super motard tires that are on it now? Thanks!

Michele
I believe the front on a 400SM is a 17", if it is you should be able to find something suitable. If you don't mind a wider front.

A quick search on 120-17's at the above mentioned DK shows a BS-TW42, Pir.-MT21, or a Ken.-761.

You could find somebody selling a complete front wheel off a regular DRZ400, it has a narrower 21" front it would appear.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #93
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Yes, if you are talking about the one that was for sale at King's Motorsports with the KTM bikes. The Suzuki is a nice bike. I've been riding it now around town and on the gravel roads by my house for a few days. It's nice and light and agile, and a good supplement to the much heavier BMW I have for adventure touring. Apparently they had the Suzuki for sale for quite a few months, but it didn't move because it was over winter. Does anyone know anything about changing tires on the DRZ 400 SM? Is it possible to put tires on it that are somewhat more dirt oriented than the super motard tires that are on it now? Thanks!

Michele
That is a nice bike. I was eyeballing it when I picked up my forks last month and was checking out the KTM motard they have used.

I am thinking of going with TKC-80's and run a 17" rear up front and see how that goes. I will cry the first time I dump it though.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #94
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,419
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerDan
I'm sure that if you find the sizes on the tires that are on there you'd be able to find a set of knobbies to fit it. I saw that bike in Kings when I was looking but they couldn't give me prices on the KTM adventure bikes so I decided to take my business elsewhere.
King's isn't an adventure dealership, that is why you can't get adventures through them.

Same as Motosports in Des Moines. Doug isn't an adventure dealer.

Both those dealers are just competition only. You can get the 450's 530's at both dealers but you can't get the new 690 Enduro.

I tried.

Your best bet, Fun mart cycle in Moline IL or Bak BMW Victory in Sioux City. They are full range dealerships.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #95
GlobalGirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hey guys....thank you SO much to all of you for your advice on knobbies for my DRZ400 SM. I did contact Dennis Kirk today and they helped me find some offroad ones for the 17" rims on my bike. I ordered some Avon tires from them that are 50% offroad/50% onroad, which is more my preference. I had never heard of the Dennis Kirk store before, and they were very helpful and reasonable so I appreciate the leads. Hope to see you all on the gravel soon!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #96
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey guys....thank you SO much to all of you for your advice on knobbies for my DRZ400 SM. I did contact Dennis Kirk today and they helped me find some offroad ones for the 17" rims on my bike. I ordered some Avon tires from them that are 50% offroad/50% onroad, which is more my preference. I had never heard of the Dennis Kirk store before, and they were very helpful and reasonable so I appreciate the leads. Hope to see you all on the gravel soon!

What'd you end up with? Distanza's are spendy and the TKC's are a bit cheaper, but I am a former KLR owner and want $75 sets of tires.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #97
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Quote:

The best part is that your tire will be there very fast if it was in stock, they're just up in MN. I wish they had a Mfg parts fiche. They don't have a ton of parts for either of my bikes, but I think at least 3 of the 4 tires I've gotten lately were from DK.

Oddly, I've requested a dirt catalog everytime I've ordered... I got the newest cruiser catalog a couple of weeks ago
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #98
UnderPowered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
King's isn't an adventure dealership, that is why you can't get adventures through them.
Same as Motosports in Des Moines. Doug isn't an adventure dealer.
Both those dealers are just competition only. You can get the 450's 530's at both dealers but you can't get the new 690 Enduro.

I tried.

Your best bet, Fun mart cycle in Moline IL or Bak BMW Victory in Sioux City. They are full range dealerships.
Where did you get your X?
If I'm in the market for a KTM990 Adventure, then I'm off to Moline ... that's the closest to Cedar Rapids?
Did you do a RR for you trip to MOAB? ... link?
UnderPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #99
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Moline is going to be the closest to CR for the full KTM dealership. I have been to Fun Mart a few times, Kings too and MotoSports too... Where is the one in Sioux City located?
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #100
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

Swap meet is SUNDAY at Hawkeye Downs from 10-3. I know I said saturday before.
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #101
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Swap meet is SUNDAY at Hawkeye Downs from 10-3. I know I said saturday before.
What are they swapping? Anything/everything?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #102
ShrinerDan
Helping kids walk

J&P cycles is sponsoring it. It's a motorcycle swap meet so I don't know what's going to be there but it should be motorcycle related. Hope to score more riding gear there for cheap. If the weather stays nice out might even ride down.
El Kahir Shrine AAONMS
High Twelve Club #46
Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #103
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Saturday 14th... Are we thinking its time to set up a breakfast gathering?
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #104
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
J&P cycles is sponsoring it. It's a motorcycle swap meet so I don't know what's going to be there but it should be motorcycle related. Hope to score more riding gear there for cheap. If the weather stays nice out might even ride down.
What are you looking for and what size are ya? I might have some stuff I could stand to liquidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265
Saturday 14th... Are we thinking its time to set up a breakfast gathering?
Name a time and a place and I will try to be there. We riding after? Dual sport stuff? Reason I ask is the KTM is down and has a well worn rear (street tire)
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #105
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Have any of you been to the CR swap meet before?

I'm guess since it's sponsered by J&P it's a lot of Harley stuff, not that there is anything wrong with that...

Just curious.