Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 PM   #226
squaretire
dumbass on a gs

Oddometer: 135
hey rogue1, i just discovered this thread. man, this is good. i'm on page seven now and got some catching up to do. i'll sure stop more often on my rides after reading your report. i usually blast through pretty roads and keep telling myself "i don' like stoppin' 'cause i like ridin'". but this thread makes me wonder, how many zen moments i'm missing.
thank you rogue1 for posting this. it is a treat.
cheers
Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 AM   #227
jmoore813
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachmaan
There is a german saying.... :
Beer and Wine, I advise you to,
Wine and Beer, let that be...... (doesn't rhyme as well/not at all)

I've done a self experiment and I have to say that it works. I am guessing that you felt a little "ill" after them 4 beers and the half bottle of Red ....
The saying I grew up with is:

Beer before liquor, never been sicker
Liquor before beer, everything's clear

But then, I never mix beer with anything else, so I don't know the validity of that rhyme
jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:14 AM   #228
Flaps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore813
Beer before liquor, never been sicker
Considering how crap I felt on Sunday morning this is true. Seemed a good idea at the time though...
Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #229
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer: 659
I know the routine now and head straight for the immigration office. My friend from yesterday is nowhere to be seen, fine with me. The gentleman behind the desk looks over my passport asks me the purpose of my visit hands me a 180 day visa, no problema.

My Spanish continues to improve, “despacio” works wonders as well… and I am informed that I must pay for the visa at a bank, not here. This, I assume, is a new procedure designed to eliminate embezzlement of funds. I am told that there is an appropriate bank in Mazatlan and that they will be able to accept my payment there, simply present my visa at the counter. Done.

The kindly lady at the window in the other building is here, and that too, is fine with me… she smiles as I explain in Spanish why I am 24 hours late, “Usted aprende el español muy rapidamente!” Hey hey… slow down… “Sólo un pequeño y muy malo”.

I am guided through the course, all of my papers are in order and it’s time to hurry up and wait… on the big line. DMV is the same all over the world.

As I wait, I am befriended by a gentleman named Oscar, a Mexican American “en vaccacciones” visiting family here. He is from Washington State. We pass the time talking about his job (the process for making aluminum is actually quite remarkable) my trip, our motorcycles… and I get a few more words for the vocabulary.

For the most part, the line moves well… the only disturbance… the two American women complaining about how long this is taking. Other than them and myself, there are no other “gringos” to be seen.

A good journey to Oscar, and a thank you to the woman behind the counter that was kind to me, my paperwork complete, my “holograma” in hand, I exit the building con permiso de moto y visa para 180 dias at 4pm.

As per the directions of the bueno senora , I find the ATM on the side of the building, it’s time to get some peso’s. Actually, it’s way past time to get some pesos. The ATM is in a large telephone booth type structure. I swipe my card and gain entry.

I slide my card into the machine, not sure of how the system works, and very aware that once again, unlike the US, there is no choice of English or Spanish… it’s Spanish only (this is not fair) I type in $100… and out pops 100 pesos, roughly 10 dollars US… my card slides back out of the machine and a receipt is printed… ok, amounts are in pesos.

As I slide my card back into the machine, two men are trying to get into the booth. They are tugging at the door and I wonder why they continue to attempt to enter while I am in here… more bad thoughts. Nervously, I rush to enter my PIN and the amount, $900. They get the door open as I pull the cash from the machine, as I turn to exit, they push past me through the doorway, damn!

I turn, and reaching back through the door, I grab my receipt and walk briskly toward my bike, feeling like I just came very close to having a big problem.

Back with Silver, I light a smoke and refit Rose to her mount, having locked her away in the top-case for safe keeping. 75 feet away, I see the men exit the ATM booth, watching them out of the corner of my eye; they head around the building and disappear. Just nerves I tell myself, people are the same all over the world and predominantly good. I have to shake this idea that everyone is out to get the gringo.

Peso’s in pocket, papers in order, Silver loaded and ready, Rose confused as hell (she indicates me as being 800ft away from the road I’m on) I am ready to tackle Mexico… I think.

Out of the parking lot and into the checkpoint, “Papel de permiso” I show my new papers, “Bueno”… the NYPD patch on my tank bag again elicits questions from the guards… “Tu Polizia?” No, me familia y amigos” “Hmm, bueno, proceda.” No search... the patch will apparently be a benefit in Mexico as well.

And that’s it; finally; truly, I am in Mexico.

There was much rejoicing!

More to come...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Frank Herbert , "Dune"

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

"Remember the face of your father." Roland the Gunslinger

http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"T.A.L.R. Redux 2007" HAS BEGUN!!! Visit the "I once was lost..." Website
Rogue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #230
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Nice report, really good narration

Really nice report Roughe1. Nice to see someone who really explain their thoughts and feelings.
Just like to thank you, and letting you know your report is read all over the world, even to the very distant Sweden, on the very north part of Europe.
Cheers.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #231
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,161
You know how fighter pilots used to put a picture on the front of their plane for every enemy aircraft they shot down?

You should do that on the front of the GS, but with a picture like the one below:
Attached Images

12bridn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #232
username
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 242
im going to get one of those freakin' NYPD patches, they seem really handy.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #233
Damyanqui
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Wicked Need more!

This report is great, keeps my mind going in the right direction. My only problem is that I need more. Starting to get the shakes , help a guy out. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks again.
Damyanqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #234
squaretire
dumbass on a gs

wada read!!!

this thread should be required reading for all budding advriders. seriously, somebody pin it for everyone to see!!!
rogue1, dude, you mention somewhere that you are pushing fifty? in the pics you look really young. that explains it. i thought a twentysomething was writing this good, that can't be!
cheers
Old 06-22-2004, 12:54 AM   #235
L.A.
Regular Guy

Oddometer: 1,305
Simply awesome!

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 AM   #236
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
Laugh

Fifty?! I don't think Rogue1 is pushing fifty.....
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #237
Pawk

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
Maybe he was referring to the 50 ladies he met during the trip....
Old 06-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #238
squaretire
dumbass on a gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
rogue1:
I left my job in October and spent the next five months trying to figure out what the fuck I was doing with my life. Some how or another I blinked and had time-warped from my late twenties, with all the time in the world, to my late thirties. I was shocked to realize that all those dreams I had were still just that… dreams. It was time to stop BSing myself and face facts; I wasn’t any closer to achieving my goals than I had been 10 years ago and if I didn’t get my lazy ass moving I’d blink again and find myself facing 50 with the same problem and even less opportunity to fix it.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #239
ktrjc
Displaced Yooper

Oddometer: 3,619
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaretire
rogue1:
I left my job in October and spent the next five months trying to figure out what the fuck I was doing with my life. Some how or another I blinked and had time-warped from my late twenties, with all the time in the world, to my late thirties. I was shocked to realize that all those dreams I had were still just that… dreams. It was time to stop BSing myself and face facts; I wasn’t any closer to achieving my goals than I had been 10 years ago and if I didn’t get my lazy ass moving I’d blink again and find myself facing 50 with the same problem and even less opportunity to fix it.
From reading this and looking at Rogue1 my guess would be in his 30's.
ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #240
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thumb A week later...

and still no update... *sigh* Rogue 1, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this story. I've been a lurker here for about a year or so, and this is my first post. This story is just so good, I couldn't resist telling you how much I've enjoyed reading it. It's really made me think about my life as well. It's made me think about certain things I've always wanted to do but just said "I'll do it someday" and then I end up never doing it. I've even told my brother about your story and it's inspired him to do the same. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens in Mexico! If you went to Cabo I hope you had a Waborita at the CaboWabo!

dito

Tiras
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote