Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #31
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer: 659
Bluhduh Things start to get interesting...

To see all the pics from the Odyssy to date: http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait." An anonymous helmet sticker, purchased in a bike shop in Las Vegas.

Hello all, it's me again. By now, a few of you are probably wishing you had not given me your email addresses... well... you know where the delete key is. To the rest of you, my attentive and loyal readers, welcome to Odyssey Update #4

Steve Z is out of danger and has a long and painful rehab ahead of him... keep saying those prayers.

Once again, thanks to all of you that sent and continue to send, letters and voice mails of encouragement and support. To quote one of the members of this list, Rob A. (quite a "supporter" in his own right, chuckle) "It does my heart good."

Rob, the hotel clerk that gave me the pop tart is a retired FBI agent, asked if I could get him one of those NYPD patches you gave me... let me know if you are able to help.

No fanfare... lets get right too it...

Thursday October 10th

I am up and at the hotel breakfast bar at 8am; biscuits and gravy (just a taste), a pop tart, coffee and I step outside to see what I could not see last night.

Damn! I still can't see anything.

8am and the fog is still as thick as the crowd on the downtown IRT #6 local during the morning rush.

It's surreal and beautiful beyond description. The sky above is obviously clear, as the sun, low on the horizon, is shining through the thick, low mist that stubbornly clings to the earth.

8:20 am

Everything outside a 25 yard radius is blurred, beyond 50 yards, invisible, cloaked in a white out. The moisture condenses on everything, including skin, yet it is not so cold that I am uncomfortable in my shorts and fleece jacket.

It's gonna be another beautiful day on the road.

Remember that eerie Dead End sign from last night? (scroll up to last report) some difference now...

Being hunched over a set of handle bars in the cold, wet and fog for 11 hours has taken a toll (as you all well know, can I get an Amen!)

Back inside, I take advantage of the hotels Jacuzzi for a ½ an hour. Too bad BMW doesn't offer this as an accessory. The effect is only a temporary fix for my aching body, but it is a welcome one just the same.

For those that have interest in the GS knobbies by Continental: tire wear at just about 5000 miles.

If it wasn't for the bad, how could we appreciate the good? On this journey, the tough parts have given me a greater awareness and appreciation of the, well... not so tough parts... and if everything was always perfect, this accounting would be pretty boring (don't even think it!).

In addition, almost every seemingly wrong turn and bit of bad luck I've experienced has turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as you have previously read and to which this next bit will avow.

Silver is loaded and I'm checked out of the hotel. Outside, a local is relating his history and his tale of how he came to settle in this area, transplanted from the East Coast.

His last words to me are, "You just head west another mile or so and you will understand."

The view of the interstate at 8:23 am... White Out.

By 10am the fog has dissipated enough for me to head out... almost a mile to the tenth later on I90, I crest a hill that leads into the Missouri River Valley at Chamberlain, SD (check your maps).

The valley and the river are still covered by the white fog, dissipating even as I dismount to take it all in. The sun, still low and rising at my back, burns the mist away while I watch, revealing the wide, still, navy blue waters below. The local wasn't wrong, I understand why he stayed.

Do I believe in luck/fate/karma/divine guidance? Absolutely! One more exit bypassed in the fog, 3 more miles traveled, and I would have ridden right through this last night, without ever knowing what I had missed (in the mist).

See the fog burning off? It's like watching a giant cotton wrapper being peeled back.

Deeper into South Dakota, I am entertained by the never ending stream of roadside advertising (most of which are for a town named Wall Drug). These serve to relieve the monotony of the landscape, flat and bare, as after the 1st 50 miles, it loses its western adventure charm.

The weather is clear and crisp at speed, comfortable at rest and getting warmer. The forecast calls for mild and unseasonably high temperatures (unheard of to date on this ride)...this is going to be one of the good days!

A roadside stop featuring state and local attractions shows a picture of Badlands National Park and I am sold, damn completely forgot that that was on the list!

Mt Rushmore isn't going to happen today. I reach the park entrance, pay my $10 reduced motorcycle fee and head in with the video camera rolling. (mouted on the GS crash bars)

The first part of the reserve is severe alien landscape, twisty mountain roads through almost white giant stalagtite type peaks. I enter this and scrape some of the edge rubber off Silvers tires in the turns, torn between checking out the scenery and challenging the road. I can see why outlaws of the old west chose this area to hide, literally millions of crags and gullies for concealment.

I catch three big cruisers on the road and on tape; at a quick stop I meet Bob, Dave and Martin... "Distinguished" local riders that call themselves "The Geezer Gang" {or something like that... sorry guys, I am sure you will remind me upon receipt of this text}.

I dub them the "Badlands Bunch" and promise to forward them a copy of the tape. They tell me I have to check out "Needles Highway" in Custer State Park after I see Rushmore and we go our separate ways.

Out of the canyons onto the high plains, surrounded by ragged drops down sprawling cuts into the earth.

I am confused at one point to actually hit a small traffic jam. As I sit behind two cars on my side of the 2 lane road, and another blocks the opposite direction, it takes me a moment, but I can make out the cause of the delay. A rattle snake is sunning itself on the double yellow line, 20 feet from me!

Suddenly aware that I don't have a big steel cage around me, I shout too the woman manning the video camera that I would prefer not to sit here waiting to become a target.

The opposite side car moves on and I cross the line to pass the snake on the left, it turns away from the tasty video lady towards me, coiled, mouth open... JEEEZ! I shoot by unscathed but am later informed they can spring up to 15 feet!

Lets not do this again.

A long way home...

WOW Bob! You weren't kidding when you said it was a difficult Par 3!

This is one of my altime favorite shots
THE LITTLE OUTHOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE

The park road has a loop that heads back up towards I90 into Wall SD.

"Don't bother, tourist trap."the Park Ranger at the gate informs me in answer to my query) but my plan is too take the road less traveled.

An unpaved trail runs west and south from the St240 Park Loop. Known as "Sage Rim Road", it twists through 40 miles of back country, hills and mountainous land to a small dot on the map named Scenic.

Rarely traveled and promising another adventure, I hang the left as every one else turns right and north.

Signs give fair warning of the condition of the road and the lack of ANYTHING HUMAN! Sounds perfect.

I am not disappointed. No cars, no pickups, SUVs and NO Winnebagos! Not another vehicle is seen during the whole run.

The view is great no matter which way you look.

I find 100's of penned up buffalo. Mean bastards, they head butt the fence and growl at me as I slow to check them out.

I stop at a marked Prairie Dog Town and read the history. Apparently, someone tried to settle here 100 years or so ago and was driven out by the PD's. The sign says the population is greater than that of New York City...hmmm... no transit system but they apparently have quite a subway, burrowing miles and miles of intricate tunnels.

I imagine a lone horseman crossing here before the modern age, a thin horse trail, created by only a few previous riders. I am very aware of the pure isolation, pure solitude. The effect is liberating.

On the other hand... if I have a mishap out here, I don't think Triple A is going to be much help (and that adds to the feeling of freedom as well).

The road is rutted and loose, and even though my off road talents are improving, between stops for reflection, pics and simple navigation, it takes me almost 2 hours to reach the exit, tired and exhilarated.

I advise anyone that has a chance to make your way to this area. Rarely do you get to see this much unspoiled natural beauty.

As I pass the "Leaving Badlands National Park" sign, a sedan enters in the opposite direction. Driven by a woman, I see a young boy in the back seat, maybe 13/14 years old, focused intently on a handheld video game.

"Look up kid; you don't want to miss this."

Another ½ hour and I am almost at Scenic, heading for Rapid City... waylaid by a giant hand painted sign atop a beat up old panel truck reading "BEER & GAS." An arrow points into Scenic. Okay... It's Miller Time.

If there is such a thing as a "One Horse Town" left in this world, Scenic is it. On my left, a beat up building houses a general store/gas station. Past that an abandoned one story building.

On my right, a bar right out of the Wild Ones and past that a line of closed, run down, unidentifiable businesses. The building all look circa 1910. (or older)

Notice the sign... "INDIANS ALLOWED"

A ratty looking Native American sits outside the Longhorn Bar, holding a case of Bud. He asks me to buy him some potato chips in the bar as the flies light on and off him. (I didn't get it either).

A cowboy on horseback crosses the street near me, a dog at the horses heels, as I mosey into the Longhorn.

Wow... It's right out of an old cowboy flick. Stools made from steel tractor saddles and milk cans. 5 inches of sawdust on the floor keep bottles from breaking when dropped and puke, blood, spills and other assorted fluids clean up easier.

Two pool tables in back and single dollar bills with the names of customers from around the country are stapled to the walls. This place is the ultimate prototype for the classic biker bar. Photographed by Iron Horse and Easyrider, this place is a zoo during Sturgis Bike Week.

This woman loves her work!

I meet Lee Anne the bartender and as I drink a much deserved ice cold Corona, I see the cowboy thrown from the horse!

We run outside and the panicked pony charges right at me up onto the porch, he rears up right in front of me, hooves flying 2 feet from my face! I'm thinking I'm gonna die like this??? (what a time not to have a helmet on)

He turns at the last minute (I've heard horses will do almost anything to avoid stepping on a man), and comes down on the defenseless metal oil drum next to me, crushing it! (and those oil drums are thinck)

He tries to bolt through a tree too my right (you can see the green on the left side of the Bar pic), fails and does a 180, running back out onto the street. He turns away from a hand and trots out of town... Damn!

The cowboy gets up, limping, holding his side and walks to the back of the building. Lee Anne tells me they are breaking in the new steed and he's a little jumpy... a little jumpy!

I finish my beer and exit Scenic... a lot of excitement for a little town.

I make Rapid City at sunset, stop and buy a bottle of champagne, and grab a room at the Days Inn. Cinda at the front desk has nothing left but suites with Jacuzzis. Man, lifes tuff on the road.

She gives me a great rate and I bed down for the night.

Great day! The temp was near 75 at one point, 300 some odd miles of adventure riding (and drinking). Awesome sights and roads and people... and perhaps, just a little of the magic I am searching for.

More to follow...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Frank Herbert , "Dune"

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

"Remember the face of your father." Roland the Gunslinger

http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"T.A.L.R. Redux 2007" HAS BEGUN!!! Visit the "I once was lost..." Website

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 12:59 AM Reason: GD F***ing bugs...
Rogue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #32
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer: 2,869
[QUOTE=Rogue 1][b][font=Times New Roman][size=3]

A ratty looking Native American sits outside the Longhorn Bar, holding a case of Bud. He asks me to buy him some potato chips in the bar as the flies light on and off him. (I didn’t get it either).

A cowboy on horseback crosses the street near me, a dog at the horse’s heels, as I mosey into the Longhorn. Wow… It’s right out of an old cowboy flick. Stools made from steel tractor saddles and milk cans. 5 inches of sawdust on the floor keep bottles from breaking when dropped and puke, blood, spills and other assorted fluids clean up easier. Two pool tables in back and single dollar bills with the names of customers from around the country are stapled to the walls. This place is the ultimate prototype for the classic biker bar. Photographed by Iron Horse and Easyrider, this place is a zoo during Sturgis Bike Week.
QUOTE]
Nice report Dude,
I waited out a rainstorm in that longhorn bar playing pool, drinking beers on my way to AK in '99. In that town they will let you camp in the middle of the town, and the store there has quite abit pawn shop material...
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
But i still hate you. As long as that's clear, you can have your cheese
ARRRGGGHHNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:58 AM   #33
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

A few just for you ARRRGGGHHNUT

[QUOTE=ARRRGGGHHNUT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue 1
[b]
Nice report Dude,
I waited out a rainstorm in that longhorn bar playing pool, drinking beers on my way to AK in '99. In that town they will let you camp in the middle of the town, and the store there has quite abit pawn shop material...
The Bar!

And the town... if you look dead center you can just see my would be assasin trotting away...

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 03-18-2004 at 12:59 AM Reason: change a word
Old 03-18-2004, 07:44 AM   #34
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Great story! Just couldn't stop. And real great pics, pro shots!

Richard
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #35
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Thanks Richard... appreciate it.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #36
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Great its only 9:24pm and I don't go to bed until 11:30 what am I supposed to do now! I love the stories and pics, keep um coming.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:50 AM   #37
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,208
Keep it coming.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:46 AM   #38
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Talking More midnight reading...

"Thank you for your support" - Bartles & James

Parking for Silver at the Hotel in Rapid City

The forecast on the Weather Channel is grim...

Am I scared of a little snow in the mountains of South Dakota? Hell no! (well maybe a little)

Tracking through the Badlands

Friday October 11th

miles on Silver, the weather is cold and cloudy. The Weather Channel says the rain will hit at 3pm, snow will follow soon after and it' getting colder... uh oh. I have to make some time south. First its on to see Mt Rushmore, 17 miles away.

panorama

First View

Nice, tight, twisting roads and climbing elevations. Pine valleys and mountains lead me to Rushmore. The pictures don't do it justice... it is truly an amazing human feat along the lines of the Sphinx. The Plaza leading up to the main viewing area perfectly frames the view of the mountain. Walking through the Hall of States with the likenesses of Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln ahead of me is inspirational. "Good morning gentleman, I have waited along time and come a long way to make your acquaintance."

I have no doubt that many of you reading this have been to the monument and the rest have of course seen pictures. I only post these so that I might in some way share the awe I felt while approaching.

See it if you can.

I purchase some post cards and stamps and send them off as quick as possible. A park ranger has checked The National Weather Svc. for me and the snow is coming fast from the west. It's due to begin at 3pm (at this elevation) and I can see the darkening sky in that direction. He gives me a map of the area and directions to Custer State Park and Needles Highway and I follow the twisty back roads towards it. It is fall here, and the foliage is brilliant, the stands of Birch fiery against the deep green of the Pines.

From behind the Monument...

Foliage and a motorciclists "HAVE A NICE DAY" sign.

Great roads for a motorcycle, but the deer are out in force and speed is not prudent. A large doe bolts across the road if front of me and my heart skips a beat as I grab the breaks (thank you ABS!) Stopped, digging for my camera, the doe waits to my right. "Where is your friend, honey?" Ahhh, there he is, a four point buck stands right behind me! Grab a photo and continue, once again on full deer alert, as my elevation climbs to 4000ft.

I enter theBlue Star Memorial Highway leading to Needles Highway. The road climbs at and exterme degree and hairpins up the mountain. As my elevation increase the weather continues to dergrade with the requisite drop in temperature.

Blue Star Memorial Highway

You can see the road drop away step by step below.

It's colder now, the clouds are thickening and grey and it's starting to drizzle. I reach the Park Station for Needles (4500ft) and pay the reduced MC fee of $5. The Ranger assures me it is not cold enough for snow... uh huh! Sure feels cold enough to me!

Onto Needles Highway, I pass a couple from Plattsburg, NY in a white SUV traveling with there dog. They left NY on Sept 15th and have done a similar amount of mileage, seems I am not the only one doing this. I'm just the only one crazy enough to do it on a motorcycle.

Needles Highway in Custer State Park

The road continues its twisty climb, and at 6500ft (damn cold here, and raining) I see the first rock formations for which this road is named. 30, 40, 70ft towers shoot skyward from the earth at the top of this range. The road winds in and out of them, the views to the east and west alternate as the path finds its way to either side of the peaks.

The famous "Eye of the Needle"

At one particularly spectacular point, while stopped for pics, the rain turns to snow/sleet. Damn! I can't feel my fingers and the camera is barely functioning due to the cold. I have to run like hell to get down in elevation. 20 minutes later, and less 1700ft, the snow becomes rain again and the temp rises a few degrees to just bearable.

Yup... that is snow

I hated to have to blow through there so quickly. I would have liked to spend more time studying that area, perhaps I will return someday when it's a little more weather friendly.

Still on deer alert, I pass signs that red "Large Wildlife on Road, 13 miles" ... and "Buffalo Are Dangerous, Do Not Approach." From what I saw of them behind the fences back in The Badlands I have no doubts of the validity of those statements.

At one point, a white tail doe runs through the bramble to my right, pacing me for a full minute. I can see her leaping gracefully through the thicket. Eventually she turns deeper into the wood and is gone. Thrilling to have that experience.

My speed is steady at 30 out of respect for the weather and the wildlife. I stop at a large prairie dog town during a break in the rain, the silence is magnificent in the still, moisture heavy air. No vehicles along this road either. In fact, since leaving Rapid City I have probably seen less than twenty cars outside of Rushmore proper. 100 yards further up the road, a giant buck and 5 doe (way to go dude, these bucks know how to live, chuckle) are grazing on the edge of the PD field, on the right side of the road.

I climb back aboard Silver and slowly, quietly, with my lights off, I move up the road towards the small herd. The buck is watching me carefully and at 15 feet, he has seen enough. He bolts, leaping high into the air, first along side the road and then sharply turns and crosses in front of me, the doe follow and they head up the sparsely vegetated hill on my left. As I pass, even with them, the doe in the rear suddenly stops and turns to look at me.. our eyes meet and for an extended heartbeat, I see beauty and intelligence in her gaze. What can I say, we had a moment... wow.

2 miles later, the road is overpopulated with large goats, like tough kids on a tough street, they are cool in there countenance and oblivious to passerby. Further on, sheep, fat, furry and ready for shearing as winter approaches, run along side me.

The buffalos "piles" on the road are becoming increasingly more hazardous and as I break free of the mountains and into the open plains I see the herds everywhere, and the occasional loner, off by him(or her)self for whatever reason.

I take another short break, rain be damned, at the edge of a valley that has recently suffered a fire. Low charred stumps share the renewing landscape with the saplings of new growth. I scavenge a few perfect pine cones to bring home as a reminder of the scene. Alone with my thoughts on this grey, wet day I wonder what the valley once looked like as the cycle of nature continues to renew itself. All this pales in comparison to the battle I am waging to find one freaking dry cigarette and to retain some feeling in my frozen water pruned hands. OK... nicotine definitely screws up a persons priorities. (just kidding... mostly)

Recently Burned Valley

The Beast meets her match... and then some!

I round a turn, and am confronted by a formidable road block. A loner, 7 ft high at the head, stands nonchalantly in the middle of the road, dinking water from a puddle that has formed on the double yellow line. After careful consideration, I determine that Silver is no match for this 2 ton hamburger and deem it best to wait for another vehicle to guide me past. I inch Silver as close as I dare. When the Buffalo looks up and takes a step toward us I call it quits on the approach and settle in.

Hmmm... exactly how close dare I get?

Beast vs. Beast (but his insurance won't go up)

He occasionally looks up at me, looks me over, as if daring me to make a move. Time passes. I shut off the engine. I discover that my voice echos nicely in the silence and I run down the Yankee batting order. A full a ½ hour passes before a red pick up arrives.

"Hello, I've been waiting for ya!"

They laugh and tell me I did the right thing. More likely than not the big guy would have charged a bike. We approach slowly and he moves for the truck without hesitation (buffalo are apparently smarter than deer). As I pass within 8 feet of him, he looks right at me and we have a moment as well as takes the biggest dump I have ever seen! "I crap bigger'in you!" his eyes say. I'd swear he knew exactly what he was doing.

The weather seems to be clearing as I head south. Open plains, the sky grey with high cloud cover. I pass more buffalo; need to wait one more time for an entire herd meandering on the road... more deer and more prairie dogs.

I've made Hot Springs, SD my destination for today and 20 miles north of the town, the wind picks up and I can see the storm clouds coming fast.

Hot Springs was once a major health destination at the turn of the century for its namesake. A small river runs right through, fed by 170 natural hot springs which cause the water to maintain a constant 87 degree temperature year round. Pools created to capture the water run at 102 degrees. During the 30's, as peoples ideas of whats healthy changed, the booming town quieted and is now just a nice place to visit.

Clever Mailbox

... God does good work...

I get a little cabin next to the stream at The Wayside Motel ($30).

It's heating system consists of a small 20 year old electric space heater.

Management responds...

The woman at the desk tells me that during Sturgis Bike Week, the riders just jump right into the stream. I walk down to its bank, test the water and am tempted to follow their lead. Steam rises from the waters surface as ducks swim past me without a care in the world. I decline when I think of what I'll feel like when I get out.

A great bowl of stew at a little place called "Elkhorn Ron's" followed by a so-so Jack Daniels Steak and I head back to the cabin for a shower and some well deserved rest.

I catch one of the funniest shows I have never seen on the local TV station. "The Red Green" show has me laughing out loud for its full ½ hour run. I'll have to look for this when I get home.

ZEN RIDER STUFF
I am aware that it has become difficult for me to keep track of the days. Things I did and saw yesterday seem like a week ago. I've had so many new experiences. Time is different on the road.

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 11:10 AM Reason: yeah... thats right... pest control
Old 03-23-2004, 01:17 AM   #39
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Great report and pictures. It is always fascinating to see a journey through another person's eyes. You have a great eye for detail and it has been a pleasure to armchair travel with you.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #40
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

The saga continues... (new and improved)

I screwed up a bit on these last 2 postings and the font colors are messed up again... if you are having trouble reading, change the "skin" at the bottom of the web page. "fish" seems to work best... sorry...

(oh... and I know how to spell motorcyclist... it's a typo )

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

ZEN RIDER STUFF
I am aware that it has become difficult for me to keep track of the days. Things I did and saw yesterday seem like a week ago. I've had so many new experiences. Time is different on the road.

Saturday October 12th

The weather channel says snow is still coming, and everywhere I plan to go over the next couple of days is dark blue (cold), this however is a nice change from the usual green for rain.

At 7:30am it is dark and cold. 37 degrees, 23 with the wind chill. I pack Silver slowly, waiting for the sun to warm things up a bit. The plan today is US385 south to Northport/Bridgeport Nebraska, Check out Chimney Rock NHM, west to ScottsbluffNE then south on US71 to I80 west into CheyenneWyoming. I hit the road at 11am. It is 45 degrees.

The Black Hills of South Dakota are tremendous (the thesaurus is running out of new adjectives). As I leave them behind and enter the plains, I can see them rising in my rear view mirror. I have no words for how amazing this sight is.

Crossing the state line into Nebraska I can't help but smirk as I read the welcome sign. "Welcome to Nebraska, Home of Arbor Day."

Wow, now that is pretty impressive. It is a given that any state whose biggest claim to fame is it's birthing of Arbor Day is going to be pretty much a bore of a ride

Nebraska
is everything I've ever heard, namely, nothing. I thought I'd seen a lot of corn, I was wrong. On the straightest road I've ever been on (385 south, if you look at a map, it looks like someone drew it with a ruler) I am pulled over at 78 in a 65. Nebraska, the most boring state in the Union to drive through, also has the lowest speed limit in the west!

I'm cold as hell and heading due south to warmer climates and it's not like I'm doing 100. The State Troopers black Camaro passes me from the opposite direction and laser tags me WHILE WE ARE MOVING and I see him slowing for the u-turn. I pull over to wait for him (no sense pretending I didn't see him).

"License and registration please, NY, huh? Touring the country?"

He invites me back to his car to sit and warm up. This looks promising. I find out he and all his pals ride motorcycles while he runs my plates and license. He even keeps a pic of his bike on the dash! This looks very promising! My licence is clean. Trooper Clint seems like a nice enough guy, will I get off??? C'mon, for a fellow rider?

NAHHHHH! He writes me at 75, saving me $50, the ticket is $57 and I'll get a point in Nebraska. Ok, my first speeding ticket, after 5500 miles and all the times I got away with 100 plus, I figure I was due. Hey Clint, you still could have let me off!

One for mom...

The mood is good (I did get to warm up a bit) Clint takes a snapshot of me "assuming the position." He gives me some advice... it would be very bad to go over 65, his partners out there and he will write me as well. We trade emails and I am off again at the "I am going to fall asleep" speed of 63. Boring as all get out but my gas mileage goes WAY up.

At a gas stop in Bridgeport (getting an amazing 50 miles a gallon now) I'm told by the clerk that Chimney Rock is not as high as it used to be.

"Erosion?" I ask.

"Well, there is that, but the Army shot most of the top off of it for target practice back in the 40's." You have got to be kidding!

I pass Chimney Rock... not bad... but like Clint had said, "It's a rock sticking up out of the ground."

On to Scottsbluff. I find a little computer store called "Bytes" and am let in after closing time by my latest saviors, Chuck and Todd. At this point I have maxed out all of my memory cards (3/4's of a gig of memory) and need to download and burn. They set me up at a lightning fast Dell work station, (I have to admit, XP blows win98 off the map) supply me with all the blank CD-Rs I need and an hour and a half later I ready to hit the road. Chuck and Todd wont take a dime from me, I can't thank you guys enough... I trust you are well and great. So many wonderful people in this world.

It gives me hope.

... more good God work...

They have advised me to keep to the speed limit until I get to Kimball NE and catch I80. I cross the Wildcat Mountain Range with another amazing sunset on my right as I head south. The views are spectacular. Full dark now, I finally reach I80 and start making time west towards Cheyenne.

Windmill fields at sunset just North East of Cheyenne near the Nebraska/Wyoming State Line

At a BK rest stop for a hot bowl of chili to fend off the cold, I meet a young counter person from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn who can't wait to get back to NY. She is out here to take care of her mother and really hates it. She tell's me where I can find her later... and I forget the name of the place... ARRRGGGHHH!

In Cheyenne, Rose finds me a room at the Cheyenne Motel for $38 and my plan is to spend the evening writing in the journal.

I fail.

Miserably.

Seems there is a big MC Toy Run at a local bar and the call of fellow motorcycles passing outside every 2 minutes is irresistible.

I climb aboard Silver and follow the roar of Harley's to a cliche classic roadhouse called The Eagles Nest. The temperature has plummeted and is near freezing as I dismount to head in for a drink and some human contact.

Hey c'mon... ya get lonley on the road.
...and thirsty...

The temp drops fast...

The bar is packed with leather clad, bandana sporting... ahh well, you know the type... a band is pounding out classic rock and the mood is "festive biker". I have a shot and a beer and purchase a commemorative doo-rag to support the kids. The place is a sausage fest, The few women present are obviously spoken for so I take my leave and head back to the motel.

On the way back I spy a little place with a friendly looking crowd outside and it takes me all of two seconds to decide one more drink won't kill me.
Inside I am not unpleasantly surprised to hear the band playing swing!

I peruse the small room and spot... OK... this is not that kind of report so I'll just say I had a great night and I really enjoyed visiting Cheyenne Wyoming...

I get back to the room late (read 3am) and exhausted. (and with good reason)

Sleep comes immediately (Ok, I basicaly pass out).

Here endeth Update #4. Keep those e-mails of support coming and I'll get the next update out as soon as possible. I'd like to continue, but there is a cleaning lady trying to throw me out of the room... lol.

Health and happiness to you all... get out there and go after those dreams!

~~~~````=o&o> Rogue1

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 11:27 AM
Old 03-23-2004, 01:29 AM   #41
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Thanks a bunch kokopelli... glad you are enjoying the ride

Old 03-23-2004, 03:14 AM   #42
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Nice style Rogue 1...I'm really enjoying your journey.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 AM   #43
Peachmaan
Boneless chicken

Oddometer: 429
Thumb

Good report, so far. I was getting worried that sth happened to you...
(shame on you) letting us wait sooo long..!!
But as long them reports and the great picts are comming, You'll be forgiven.

Good Cop

(Sort of)Bad Cop

Let's hope it was the worst cop that you'll have met.

And thanks also for letting us participate, even though we are stuck at work/another country/wife won't let you go/whatever reason.......

Take care.... Laterz

--------------------
"It has been said that "Life is a sexually tranmitted, fatal disease." You're born. Sometime later, you die." -Flash412
Peachmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:36 AM   #44
hooligan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Man Rouge1, sounds great, I know the feelings! Wishin I was OTR, great read, keep it coming. BTW I've got the same bike, she holding up pretty well?
03 Honda Ruckus (SOLD)
02 KLR650 (ON LOAN)
96 Honda XR650L (SOLD)
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #45
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan
Man Rouge1, sounds great, I know the feelings! Wishin I was OTR, great read, keep it coming. BTW I've got the same bike, she holding up pretty well?
The bike is holding up very well... aside from the normal little glitches... 24k and rising