Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #76
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Wonderful trip report, Rogue. Brings back memories of the coast-to-coast I did in 2000 on my 1983 R100RS AirHead. Spent May heading east along the southern USA, came back along the northern route in October. I loved the pictures of the Longhorn Saloon. Scenic, SD, what a treat.

Not trying to hijack your thread, I'd like to extend and invitation to you and anyone else to check out some cliks of my westbound leg at:

http://homepage.mac.com/wanderscribe/PhotoAlbum19.html

Did you check out the Crazy Horse Memorial when you were in the Black Hills of South Dakota?
Thanks for the compliments Buckaroo... and thanks for sharing those pics
Was that last on the Judge?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Frank Herbert , "Dune"

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

"Remember the face of your father." Roland the Gunslinger

http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"T.A.L.R. Redux 2007" HAS BEGUN!!! Visit the "I once was lost..." Website
Rogue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #77
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Looks like Rogue's exceeded the monthly storage limit. 4Gigs of images in one month! Way to go, man!!

Great pics, great narrative!!!

This could be the start of a new career. Some of these photos, like the one in Chicago somebody's already using as wallpaper, belong in a magazine.
JEEEEZ! I can't believe I exceeded the 4gig limit... ok... upgraded so the pics are back up...

I had approached White Horse Press with this but they politley declined

Anyway... if anyone actually would pay me to do this I take the job in a second... (who among us wouldn't, eh?)

More to come...

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

Old 04-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #78
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,723
What!?!

This is classic material if I ever saw it, and I've read a lot of classics...

Back in the day, I was spurred to ride by Mister Bloom, of Rider magazine...
Today, in this stinking little cloth-covered cube, it is you! Rider being a shadow of it's former self.

A little editing by professionals and this is "P" prize material. I'm sure. Better than some drivel about socail injustice...

Bed time for me now, as I have some sort of stupidity to attend to come the morning...
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:56 AM   #79
wandrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Yep, great story. Makes me want to ride. In fact, I rode into work today almost certain it's going to rain, which is something I normally wouldn't do, probably not anyway.
wandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 PM   #80
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Just a short one...

Downtown Moab... gonna be a great day

Five minutes outside downtown Moab... some guys have all the luck.

Tuesday October 15th

The sun is shining at 7:30am and the sky is completely clear, the wind chill is 30 degrees. Once again I wait for it to warm up a bit and Silver and I take off at 10 am.

The sun causes the red canyon walls that surround Moab to glow like embers from a fire. I see a sign outside one of the many bike/camp stores in town that reads "Free Filtered Water."

I'm constantly thirsty now. All the pamphlets in town stress the need to consume massive amounts of water. I have noticed that there is no dew on Silver in the crisp morning air, man its dry here.

I enter the shop and am pleasantly surprised to hear Pink Floyd. Everywhere I've been since Chicago has played country music (save that one bar in Cheyenne where I danced to a swing band, yup, that's right, swinging in Cheyenne).

I fill my empty bottles and hit the road.

Today's plan; check out The Arches NHM then North on 191 to Salt Lake.

I'm at the entrance to Arches National Park and find myself 40 cars away from the entrance, 5 minutes and one car length closer to the ranger station; I decide that I don't need to see the Arches that badly; they are easily viewable on very license plate in the state.

North on 191, the road is open, hilly and the scenery is similar to what I saw coming in. I cross I70 and continue on to Helper/Price Utah.

I stop in West Price for gas and lunch and check out a Western Outfitter shop in search of a replacement for my black deerskin gloves, now not much more than a memory.

The young ladies are flirtatious and helpful (in that order) and I find a pair of deerskin gloves in tan (perhaps this color will be better in the rain) for only 12 bucks. The 2 girls hint that I should hang out in Price for a while.

The exact quote was "The girls in this town are very friendly."

Am I in Mormon Land? Yes they say, but when Brigham Young came to Salt Lake, Price is where the naughty people moved too. Well I'll be damned, and according to B.Y., so will they... wink.

As I am leaving the shop, they ask me if I am taking 191 over "The Pass." When I respond yes, they warn me to be careful. 'I've lost 4 friends on that road in the last 2 years. Oh, and it might be snowing."

Goody.

"The Pass" is treacherously twisty and I can see why some call it dangerous but Silver and I get through with out any difficulty whatsoever (and not a hint of snow).

191 leads me to 6 and onto I15 North and this highway really moves. 6 lanes plus an HOV (7 total) and I'm cruising at 80/85 in the 5th lane from the right. I notice that I am the ONLY vehicle in this lane and decide that this must be the "Go Directly to Jail Lane." (I find out from Mike later that I'm right)

I meet Mike at his place of business, a rock climbing facility and the reunion is sweet and long overdue.

Okay, let's call this a wrap... More adventures to come and I once again wish you all the best of health and happiness!

~~~~````=o&o>

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 11:47 AM Reason: ummm... bugs
Old 05-01-2004, 08:44 AM   #81
Pawk

Oddometer: 598

I am wondering about the premise here...
Are you still on the road, or are you updating this thread as you find time from home?

I guess it really doesn't matter.
You covered an amazing amount of land and I am super jealous.
However, I cringed when I read you just blasted through Colorado on I-70 and skipped Arches and only spent a night in Moab. I guess its a juggling act between seeing a little of a lot of stuff and seeing less but spending more time at any given spot....

No matter.
Brilliant adventure.
Pawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #82
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawk

I guess it really doesn't matter.
You covered an amazing amount of land and I am super jealous.
However, I cringed when I read you just blasted through Colorado on I-70 and skipped Arches and only spent a night in Moab. I guess its a juggling act between seeing a little of a lot of stuff and seeing less but spending more time at any given spot....

No matter.
Brilliant adventure.
Thanks Pawk... I know I missed alot... but I saw alot as well... this trip was about seeing all the places I always said I wanted to see but never did... while on the road I found places I didnt know about (like monument valley) and I have learned of many more since (that I will make destinations as opposed to passing through) and many more that I wish to return to one day to examine more closely (like Custer and the Dakotas)... I had to start somewhere... there are still 11,000 miles of story left... read on my friends...

What you are reading are the email trancriptions of my written journal that I sent out while OTR to update my family, friends and all the great folks i met on the road that wanted to follow along...

Old 05-04-2004, 05:00 PM   #83
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Talking SLC, UT (not much riding/good info on dealer and MEXICAN M.C. INSURANCE)

When we left off one of my dearest friends that I have not seen since he left NY a few years back and I are having a reunion. Mike, who has earned the title "Best Customer" at BMW of Salt Lake (having bought umpteen bikes in the last 3 years), calls their service department for me and suddenly I am golden.

They will take Silver in immediately, do all the work she requires, install the tires "No Problem" and if they do not arrive in time, they will pull a pair out of stock for me and keep the set coming in from Capitol BMW in Raleigh. Wow.

We drop my gear at Mike's other office (Pusher and S7, they manufacture climbing gear and clothing) and one of Mike's crew, Dan, leads me over to BMW of SLC.

Tarik and Chad in the service department are two of the nicest guys you could hope for. They patiently go over the long (and sometimes frivolous) list of ailments, real and imagined, and take Silver in under their professional care.

The dealership is pretty amazing... BMW NA must love these guys...

Dan gives me a lift back to Mike's office; we pick up my gear and I follow Mike back to his house in the mountains outside Salt Lake central.

Mike takes "The Back Way" and I can see why he moved here... best commute a motorcyclist could ever hope for. As we break free of the traffic and into the twisting hills, Mike rolls on the throttle and puts some quick distance between himself and Dan and I, leaning hard right into a sweeper, knee waaayy down.

(I see your skills have improved young Jedi, Obi-Wan has taught you well)

At his home I am reunited with his better half, Kirsten and I am welcomed like a long lost brother. Their children, Sasha, 4 (whom I haven't seen since she was a wee baby) and Jack, 2 are fantastic. I expected nothing less from these two. I am also introduced to Mrs. Anderson, Kirsten's mother, a teacher, blunt honest and strong. No BS from this lady.

Mike gives me a quick tour of the 8000 sq ft castle he and his family call home and all I can say is wow. Downstairs I am shown into the guest room (read Guest suite, this place is bigger than my apartment) and I get to settling in.

The house is remote and overlooks an unspoiled canyon on protected land. The moon is high and approaching full... very bright in the starry night sky. I hear the cry of an eagle off in the distance... while I stand silent, just taking in the fresh air and enjoying being alive, truly alive, I hear a stag stomping in the clearing below. I can just make out the beast in the moonlight. He is wooing a female, also barely visible. They are less than 75 feet away. No words.

The back way... how would you like to have this for a commute???

Off to bed, asleep at 10pm. 268 miles today, 6499 total on Silver to date. Mike and Kirsten have made me feel totally at home and all is right and perfect in my world.

Wednesday, October 16th

It is cold and clear in the morning, warm and balmy in the afternoon. SLC proper sits at 5000ft, Mike and Kirsten's place at 5800 and the temperature difference is noticeable.

I wake up at 4 am fully rested, see Mike off at 5am and wait for the rest of the house to rise. On the porch, the eagle is still calling. I sit on a chair in the dining area, off the huge, well appointed kitchen and quietly watch the light of the false dawn spread across the top of the canyon through a monstrous picture window.

A morning star appears on the horizon and as I watch it rise, as the light slowly grows, I become surrealistically aware of the earths rotation. In another Zen moment, it's almost as if I can actually feel the earth spinning towards the star and the sunrise instead of the feeling of it rising to us. (Or it could just be the coffee, wink)

At 6:30, the house starts to stir (read the kids wake up) and the moment passes.

Mike has left me the keys to his Suzuki Hayabusa (Japanese for "2 wheeled rocket ship") and as afternoon approaches I mount it to follow Kirsten into the Valley and run some errands.

The bike feels small and foreign to me. It's been 5 years since I've ridden a rice racer and I am not comfortable at all.

Whithin one hundred yards away from the house I decide that discretion is the better part of valor and signal Kirsten to lead me back to their garage. I have no desire to reacquaint myself with this style of ride on roads that I'm not familiar with on a bike that is not mine and I can't afford to replace.

Pick a bike, any bike... ok... not the BMW... take the Suzuki
Now you know why BMW SLC loves him... (there are 2 more)

I get infected with laptopitis...

Kirsten drops me at Mike's and I set about my errands. First order of business, you guessed it, dump the pics off the memory cards and burn them to CD. What's this? Mike U. doesn't know what a burner is let alone have one???

Ahhh Mike, you have changed! ... just kidding baby.

This is where I make a big mistake...

Best Buy is across the street and I take a stroll over to look at voice recorders, to make it easier to keep road notes as I sometimes end up going a couple of days without journaling.

Next to the voice recorders, I see CD burners. Uh oh... next to the burners are the laptops... and among them is an amazingly small Sony Vaio, model R505GL. The salesman lets me know its zero percent interest for a year and I run like hell.

Back at Mikes place the thought of the luxury and convenience of having a laptop has me in its grip and is squeezing me hard. I do a little internet research and find out that the Sony is exactly what I need (aside from the Mac at twice the price). Give me strength, I can't afford this!

The work day ends and I ride "bitch" (ask your biker friends) with Mike back to his house. Kirsten produces another exquisite meal and we call it a day at 10pm.

Out on the deck again, as the house goes to sleep, the moon is bright and high over the canyon, throwing long shadows across the clearing below.

I here a yelp on the mountain and it turns into a howl. Another voice joins in, and then another... the coyotes are howling at the moon! This place is too much.
J

Thursday October 17th

Sunny and warming up. Around noon BMW of SLC informs me that Silver should be ready by 3 o'clock. Kirsten drives me into the Valley with Sasha and Jack (these kids are a riot) and Dan gives me a lift over to BMW.

I find Silver and don't recognize her at first. Whats this? She's CLEAN! And purring like a kitten! Thanks guys! After a slight adjustment, she runs at least as good as she ever has. Hey Mike (BMW SLC owner) you have a great crew, kudos.

Chip at the parts counter owns a custom yellow 1150 RT and I notice an amber headlight shield... all the bikes in this area have headlight shields as broken ones from kicked up rocks are common and expensive, but they are all clear, not amber.

Chip lets me know he has one set in his possession that will fit Silver. He parts with it willingly (thanks Chip, the effect is awesome) and I warn him that when Mike sees it he's going to get a call, chuckle (he does).

A fellow rider/service customer and I chat for a while and, on hearing my intended itinerary, gives me some recommendations on great roads to travel on. He also stresses that if I can find a few spare hours, that I should not miss a run on The Burr Trail, out of Boulder, off 12south.

I meet Todd, the former owner of this dealership, now the very satisfied (and successful) sales manager, great guy, very down to earth and comfortable with himself.

Mike, the owner welcomes me and sets me up with a coffee or a latte or whatever out of a very complicated looking machine, friendly and personable, it was a pleasure to meet him (and the coffee was excellent).

To the whole crew at BMW SLC, great job and great meeting you all. Thanks.

My Laptopitis gets worse... and I discover that Comp USA sucks!

On the way back to Mike's office (Pusher/S7), I stop in at Comp USA to check out their laptop section and prices. This was not a good experience. At the front, I ask a clerk, if I purchase a laptop, will you let me load the software disc from your demo Creative MP3 player? (This should be a non event)

He talks to the store manager for 5 minutes, comes back and says, and I quote "Due to the danger of virus contamination and warranties, Comp USA does not want to be responsible for any damage, but my manager says that if you purchase the laptop with our extended warranty he will let you use our Creative Install software."

What a crock of bullshit!

"You know what that is?" I ask the clerk, "Thats flat out extortion."

How the hell would i get a virus from your install disc and what would you care if i did?

Back in the laptop section, I find that their prices are, in general, higher than everyone else. Comp USA replaces K-MART on the "This place sucks" list.

Back at Mikes Pusher/S7 warehouse, Mike tells me he has got something for me and tosses me an acid fleece climbing pullover that they produce.

This thing is awesome and I am instantly enamored with it. Thin, light warm and easier to pack, my Mountain Sports Fleece goes into the purge for shipment home pile.

Mike's got a school/kids thing with Kirsten so I head back into the hills on my own. I'm having a little trouble getting around now, I am keenly aware that Rose, back at the house, is an invaluable asset when navigating new cities.

Laptopitis goes terminal... i succumb to the cure...

Oh look, there is a Circuit City right in front of me... lets check them out.

As most of you have figured out by now, I broke down and bought the damn laptop and I am glad I did (monetary donations will be accepted when I return home... chuckle)

No more searching for computer shops to help with downloads, CD burns, email, internet access and DCA card programming. I will attest though, I have met some of the nicest people during those stops, you know who you are.

Jason at Circuit City won me over instantly because he knows his sh**. I buy the laptop at zero percent financing for a year and make my way back to Mike and Kirsten's place.

On the way, I pick up a few bottles of wine and arrive to find Mike and Kirsten setting up a steak dinner ala outside grill. Kirsten has picked up some Portobello Mushrooms for me after hearing me mention how much I like them grilled.

Dinner and wine and good conversation make for another great evening. Retire at 10 (the coyotes are howling again) to my room and check out the laptop. Everything is great and it fits perfectly the saddle bag.

Friday October 18th.

Good info on finding insurance for Mexico (Found a great Ins. Co.)
http://internationalpro.com
http://mexpro.com

I sleep late (up at 8am) and zip down to BMW SLC for that slight adjustment.

Todd sets me up with internet access while I wait and I go online to locate an insurance company that will write a policy for me in Mexico. This is not as simple as I thought it would be. I have contacted Sanborn Insurance, recommended to me by Cameron here at BMW SLC. They have been a mainstay for BMW motorcyclists (and others) for insurance south of the border for years. Their policies have changed (for reasons unknown but the possibilities add to my fears) and they will not write a policy for less than 5 (count 'em, five!) bikes.

More searching leads me to a site that lists possible candidates and I check some of the links, heartened by one in particular, I play phone tag with International Insurance Group/Mexico Insurance Professionals (internationalpro.com & mexpro.com) over the next few hours.

Eventually I speak to a wonderful woman named Nancy and its smooth sailing from then on. The quote is $276 for $20k worth of coverage for 22 some odd days (my window is Oct 27th through Nov 17th). I thank her and will contact her on Monday to close the deal.

I spend the bulk of the afternoon purging my gear and prepping for the next leg.

Mike has supplied me with more lightweight clothing and anything that I haven't used for more than two weeks goes into the pile to be shipped home to NY.

I repack my bags, the load lightened significantly (as a newbie to "The Long Ride", I have made the common mistake of bringing much more than I needed) and get Silver ready to leave early tomorrow.

Dinner out with Mike and Kirsten and we finally get to really talk (sans children and the need to get up for work).

Off to bed. Tomorrow I am back on the road!

6649 Miles on these Conti Knobbies... not too shabby...

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 12:14 PM Reason: two guesses and the first one doesnt count...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #84
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Great... Keep em coming!

Aaron
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #85
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,429
Amazing pictures... Love this one.

Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #86
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Saturday October 19th

After a few days here my batteries are fully charged. The sun is shinning and it is super chilly as Mike and I ride out together at 8:30 am.

A quick stop at his clothing warehouse and I pick up a woolen cap. Another stop at BMW SLC, goodbyes, a few pics of Silvers old, worn tires for historical purposes and the 6k service stamp in my owners manual.

There is a brand new bright yellow H2 Hummer in the parking lot, the property of a very proud manager at the shop. When he hears of the route I'll be following south into Zion, Bryce and the Escalante Staircase he jokes that he will keep his eyes open for me as he will be taking the same loop in the opposite direction. I tell him that I will see him first in that yellow monster.

I'm heading South on I15 at 10:15 AM after a hard parting with Mike. Sunny and crisp, I exit I15 back onto 6 and catch 89 South. Beautiful country, stunning in fact, mountain twisties, perfect roads and the air is pure. I pull over and install the Blue Iridium shield for my Arai Signet. I have been carrying it, unused, for the last 6000 miles. I figure the bad weather is finished and I can now use the tint. Yeah! Looks hot!

Hunting season opened today and the hunters are out in force. Kirsten had suggested an orange vest to avoid getting mistaken for a very fast moving deer but I choose to forgo that particular safety device. I am a big fan of safety gear, but those guys that ride with those neon safety vests on just crack me up.

Property Values are sinking in this area...

Great roads, inspiring views...

Diggin the shield...

I stop at an outfitter; buy a couple of cans of chili con carne, a small mess kit and some chemical hand warmers... yup, I am finally going to camp.

89 will get me to Bryce Canyon National Park, but the rider back at BMW recommended the "Scenic Back Way" (a new term for my touring vocabulary, main roads, scenic byways, with which I am familiar, and now I find the real "off the beaten path," the scenic back way).

I find the off shoot and head south on 12. Man, this is some fine piece of country.

If you want to ride here as well, here are the co'ords

I'm just rollin' in it... lifes a bitch, huh?

Mankind messin it up

This is what I call "layering"

Can you believe this is all one day?

The original GS

I enter "Dixie National Forest" at 7pm. The sun is low and once again magic hour works its charms. The rock formations have a life of there own and the fire within them glows in the late day sun.

I stop at gas station/Subway for campsite directions.

The woman behind the counter is on the phone with a customer that is convinced that his bread is not fresh. She looks at me helplessly, explaining to him that they bake there bread fresh 3 to 4 times a day and letting him know if he'd like, he can come in and they will gladly refund his money.

Just like home. Poor girl, I guess people are the same everywhere... glad there are more of the "good" ones.

She hangs up, smiles at me and we shrug it off together... whatreyagonnado???

Singletree Campsite, a Nat. Park Service run area, is about 20 miles further into the park and up the mountains.

I'm warned, "It's going to be cold... it was 17 degrees when I got up this morning and you're going to be at a much higher elevation."

Another ominous gas station comment. What is it about gas stations?

"If they find a motorcyclist dead of hypothermia tomorrow, tell my family I love them."

Outside, I pause for a moment and gaze longingly at the Days Inn next door, however I am determined to start camping (even if it kills me) and I head deeper into the park. As I climb the twisting mountain roads the sun sinks below the horizon and the cold comes quickly. I reach Singletree (elevation 8700ft, oh boy) and rush to set up camp before the light is gone completely. I don the wool cap and silently thank Mike because it really helps.

My tent set up and the cold shakes nominal, I breakout the Miller Light 40's and my MSR stove to whip up some dinner. While it is not much, just the act has the chili tasting pretty special.

As I eat, the moon rises high and is almost full... so bright it is, that it casts solid shadows and everything is visible.

Like the sun on a dimmer switch.

Behind my tent, through a thin stand of trees, a short, brush covered plain drops away into a valley that I cannot see. Beyond, a snowcapped mountain range is framed by the black, star filled curtain of the night.

My God it is inspiring. There are some moments when you truly feel life... when it all makes sense and you just want shout to the stars for how lucky you are. It makes the beer taste better.

The temperature keeps dropping and I climb into the tent to warm up and do a little journaling. I settle in and exhaustion gets the best of me, about 8:30 I fall fast asleep.

I wake up at 9:30 shaking like a leaf.

I cant feel my hands. Man oh man is it COLD! Out of the tent, jeeeezz! I grab my balaclava, my thick thermal socks, my Thermax glove liners and the second, thicker fleece pullover Mike gave me. Back inside I transform into the little brother in "A Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out).

The night is long and cold, I can't feel my toes and when I roll off the Therma-Rest pad the chill stops the circulation and wakes me up again and again.

The moonlight is overhead and so unbelievably bright it makes the tent glow. If I had the inclination, I could probably read in here. I am cocooned in the sleeping bag, the draw string pulled tight over my head, my mouth the only exposed area so I can breathe. Sleep comes and goes, the night passes.

More to come...

Thanks for reading...

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 12:37 PM Reason: yeah yeah yeah
Old 05-06-2004, 02:05 AM   #87
Peachmaan
Boneless chicken

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue UNO
Thanks for reading.........
My/Our pleasure!!!!

--------------------
"It has been said that "Life is a sexually tranmitted, fatal disease." You're born. Sometime later, you die." -Flash412
Peachmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #88
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
Thumb

Sah-weet! My only subscribed thread right now! Thanks Rogue_1. Can't wait for the "run to the border".

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #89
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
This is the greatest thread EVA!!!! Very cool.....makes me wann go out right now!
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #90
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
What!?!

This is classic material if I ever saw it, and I've read a lot of classics...

Back in the day, I was spurred to ride by Mister Bloom, of Rider magazine...
Today, in this stinking little cloth-covered cube, it is you! Rider being a shadow of it's former self.

A little editing by professionals and this is "P" prize material. I'm sure. Better than some drivel about socail injustice...

Bed time for me now, as I have some sort of stupidity to attend to come the morning...
Dude you're makin' me blush...

Thanks Head... that really means somethin' to me...