Oddometer: 14,504
so much for my Honey-do list
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #932
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer: 659
Mexitaliano

I move Silver to the proper door and, as I unload, the occupants of the adjacent room emerge. Of course, it is the two girls who occupy the grey sedan.

Dark haired and somewhat stout, olive skinned with beaming smiles, they enthusiastically approach and greet me in clear English with a thick Italian accent.

I meet Simone and Leona. They are on an odyssey of their own; visiting the U.S. from Italy for a few months, they were staying in San Diego and decided to rent a car and drive down to Cabo San Lucas (and back). I am awed by their bravery and instantly see them as like souls and kindred spirits. We laugh and recall all the times we passed each other and how we all knew we would eventually meet. It was like we already knew each other.

They are heading out to dinner at a local restaurant in a higher end hotel close by and ask if I would care to join them. I agree enthusiastically and hurry to toss my gear into the room and make myself presentable.

They drive.

Upon arrival at our destination, I am a bit out of sorts due mostly to the hotels level of sophistication. This is a damn nice place! It is likely only about three stars, and granted, I only left Cabo four days ago (and La Paz but two), but between sleeping on the beach last eve, and the ongoing warp of time, I feel as if I have not experienced ‘fine dining’ in a very long while. That, and if anyone had told me an hour ago I would be needing a jacket and tie I would have fallen on the floor laughing.

The Maitre ‘D seats us and, after a quick glance at the drink menu, I am thrilled to see that they stock my favorite tequila. I immediately order a Negro Modelo and a Herradura Anjeo.

Simone, Leona and I swap stories about the road, beginning with the wind that has plagued us for the past two days. They tell me that they have worried for me when the wind was at its worst and wondered how I handled it. We talked about the places we have seen and the people we have met in Mexico as well as the U.S. over a continuous flow of food and alcohol. We talk about our homes and 'other lives.' The evening passes quickly and enjoyably into night and eventually we become aware that the restaurant is closing and the employees would like to go home. We split the bill and head back to the motel.

The girls flash memory cards are full and they have been deleting for two days just to squeeze in a few irresistible shots. I have a few spare blank cd-r’s and volunteer to burn the files and clear their cards. Just as was done for me back in Chicago, the wheel goes round again. They join me in my room and we trade more stories and share photographs from our respective trips until we can barley keep our eyes open. They become my adopted sisters and I their long lost brother. God only knows what time it is when they head back to their rooms.

We all hug and say our goodnights. The girls leave and I fall backward onto the bed after locking the door behind them. Exhausted? Are you kidding? My war with Ehecatl (the Aztec god of wind) would have been enough to wipe me out for a week without all the other experiences of the day plus the tequila and beer and food. It is almost inconceivable to me that only eighteen hours earlier I was watching the sunrise over the Sea of Cortez from my little palapa on the beach. Date palms, Shangri-La’s, soldiers and check points, papers and palapas, Italian girls and Mexican beers, changing scenery, killer winds and desert sands that tickle the skin.

I snap a photo in the dark for the time stamp: 12:45 A.M.

(yup, thats the room in the dark)

Another week lived in the span of a day. Rogue 1 out… cold.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Frank Herbert , "Dune"

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

"Remember the face of your father." Roland the Gunslinger

http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"T.A.L.R. Redux 2007" HAS BEGUN!!! Visit the "I once was lost..." Website
Rogue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #933
CanadaGS650
Mad fool

Oddometer: 280
I just found this three days ago.. i havent gotten much done around the house after work..
CanadaGS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #934
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

How to turn a whole BAR on its EAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Don't know for sure how the sign got like that. It's been the "Ear" Inn for at least 15 years. By the way, it's the oldest continuously serving pub in NYC. The edge of the Hudson used to come right up to the side of the building. They still have the boat moorings in front of the place (which you can see right behind the rear wheel of my Rossi Replica)!

later, barry
NYC Trivia:

The "Ear Inn" got its name as a result of the strict laws/rules enforced by the historic preservation society in the SOHO area. The sign was (obviously) a neon BAR sign, put up before the advent of the law regarding preservation of storefronts.

When it was sold, the current owners were not allowed to put any up further signage (eg name of the bar) and could not remover the existing sign either...

So they put electrical tape over the 'B' Turned it into an 'E' and called the place "The Ear."

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #935
DirtRoadDave
I am Iron man

Oddometer: 2,120
07 1200 GSAdv
06 KTM 950 adv sold
DirtRoadDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #936
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

I just REALLY love this Pano

Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #937
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,770
Welcome back, Sean. Great to read you again.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas

Johnny Dakar screwed with this post 08-06-2007 at 07:28 PM
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #938
dziner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thumb

Ok, I think I picked up this post around page 30 or so when you went through the Pennsylvania area. I haven't closed my browser since because I didn't want to lose my spot! This could easily be a book.

Oh yeah, if you're looking for any cool Mac software, check out http://www.versiontracker.com. You'll find lots of helpful shareware/freeware that can help you with your AVI - MPG conversion.

Anyways, I look forward to readin more of your adventure.
dziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #939
SteelCity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Rogue, now that you are able to post video's embedded in your story, are you going to put some videos from earlier parts of your story in this thread? The video's really do add to this story and glad you figured it out!
SteelCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #940
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity
Rogue, now that you are able to post video's embedded in your story, are you going to put some videos from earlier parts of your story in this thread? The video's really do add to this story and glad you figured it out!
I had wanted to put them in from the very beginning, but it seems that technology (both available and intuitive) has only recently caught up with my desires. I think to go back through the thread and insert them at the appropriate points would be prohibitive from a time/effort POV. It would also require anyone interested in them to hunt them down by retracing the thread as well.

After much thought and careful consideration of the options (well, not really) I plan to place the vids at the end of the story with notes providing details... works for me anyway

Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #941
CHROMEKID01
Banned

Oddometer: 370
Rogue1 what happened to silver seems like your pics show a different GS now? with different hard cases and all.
CHROMEKID01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #942
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHROMEKID01
Rogue1 what happened to silver seems like your pics show a different GS now? with different hard cases and all.
Here you go Chrome : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156325

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-07-2007 at 08:27 AM
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #943
CHROMEKID01
Banned

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue 1
That makes it all much clearer now
Hey me and the wife will be riding to NY NY for our once a year long trip know anything we should not want to miss as tourists?
CHROMEKID01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #944
SteelCity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
I had wanted to put them in from the very beginning, but it seems that technology (both available and intuitive) has only recently caught up with my desires. I think to go back through the thread and insert them at the appropriate points would be prohibitive from a time/effort POV. It would also require anyone interested in them to hunt them down by retracing the thread as well.

After much thought and careful consideration of the options (well, not really) I plan to place the vids at the end of the story with notes providing details... works for me anyway
Good idea to post them at the very end. Thanks again for updating this story again too!
SteelCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #945
Junkyard
ADVrider Lifeguard

Oddometer: 374
Pissed What!!!!!!!

Quote:
Um Er,
I was assured that this tale would never end. Maybe a short hiatus while
you are doing more "research" but that's it. There will be NO ENDING only
a transition to the next phase. If you want to put vids at the end of a
CHAPTER that's ok with me .
Happy Tuesday
Junkyard
Junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote