Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #91
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Oddometer: 659
Huh?... ah'm alive!

Sunday October 20th

I wake up and am not sure if it's day break or still moonlight. A check of the watch confirms that I have survived, it's 6am....

Man I gotta piss. I spend another 45 minutes bundled within the tent and sleeping bag... unwilling to leave the semi-warmth... All the while my bladder is screaming like a marine drill sergeant to GET UP AND GIVE ME EMPTY!!! Eventually, the call of nature is too great and I exit for relief... COLD COLD COLD!

Another lesson learned; keep an empty water bottle in the tent!

Count the deer...

These guys are alot more fun when I'm not riding the bike...

The gentleman at the adjacent campsite walks toward me holding a steaming hot cup of joe with a big "isn't roughing it great" smile on his pudgy face. He happily informs me that the temperature dropped down to 7F degrees last night. He has a camper!

"Morning!" he says heartily... and I return the hail with a smile and a shiver...
"Weren't you cold?" He asks.
"Uh... yea-uh..." I answer.
"I got a thermometer on the camper...18F right now... yowser! Nice bike. Have a great day!" He turns and walks back to his site...

Doesnt offer coffee...

As the sun rises over the mountain and valley behind my tent site, I count fourteen deer, 100 ft away, grazing calmly on the plain, serene in the dawn light. The hunters have all broken camp and headed off to their stalking points and the deer are here. Guess they aren't as clueless as I thought, pretty slick. I walk towards them, the check me out and deem me harmless, returning to their breakfast.

Madre de Dios! Eeeeess fargin cold! Umm... is it bad when you don't feel em?

No mist, no dew, the air is dry, which adds to the cold.

As I break camp, the feeling disappears in my fingers and I crack open the chemical hand warmers only to find that they are useless.

I attempt to start Silver and the cold has drained her battery, c'mon baby, kick over. She coughs twice, and comes to life, stalls and then fires, rough but alive.

I leave her to warm up, my new deerskin gloves, placed one on each of Silvers cylinders, set to warm as her engine heats up. I finish packing, and Silvers engine is now a wonderful source of heat. I rest my hands on the boxer twin, and as the feeling returns to my fingers, they begin to ache sharply, a good sign.

Silver (now at 6900 miles) and I exit the campsite at 9 am, my gloves toasty from the engine heat.

At this point in my travels, I am on constant scenic overload, The Blue Ridge Mountains, The Smokeys, The Rockies, The Badlands, The Black Hills, Monument Valley, Moab, Mt Rushmore, Needles Highway, the list goes on and on.

Everywhere I go, stunning, awe inspiring, religiously moving examples of the beauty and power of nature. I have run through every adjective in the book twice and I am still unable to describe the sights, scents and sounds that I am experiencing. (I've given up on sending pics; I'll figure that out when I return home)

Route 12 is of course fantastic. At the summit of the area (9800ft) the panoramic view is incredible. The air is crisp but the sun is shining and the mercury is oh so slowly rising. It feels like it will be a comfortable day.

40 miles on, I see the turn off for The Burr Trail in Boulder, UT. I have the time to spare (as is the purpose of this trip) and head towards it. The signs at the entrance read, "No Service 75 miles", "Steep Grades", "Unpaved Roads." "Dangerous Curves", "Proceed at Your Own Risk".

Sounds great! Let's go!

Heres some for the Road Sign Thread

What would you do?

For shits and giggles 'cause ya know this would be... as if!

Oh Lord what a run this road is... can you follow the ribbon!

Hours... and no other signs of life on 2 legs...

Hmmm... what could this mean?

That's right kids... we goin' canyon carving Utah Style!

I'll try to condense my description of this run; 8 miles of alien landscape through the back side of The Escalante Staircase lead to a canyon drop into another 12 miles of extremely tight road inside the canyon.

As I take the blind right hand turn to begin my decent, of the road is blocked by a giant boulder that has broken loose and crashed onto the path. Sphincter Factor at 10.9 I grab all the Brembo I can like a pregnant woman crowning the head.

Thank you ABS. A tree, whose roots were the final straw in its escape to freedom, lies atop the boulder, surrounded by smaller rocks of assorted sizes.

Man... I didn't know you could turn dingleberrys into diamonds!

Falling Rock Zone

Where's J.L. when ya need him?

Gotta get some o' that!

Whatever it was, it was huge! Boot prints follow it as it was being tracked...

On the canyon floor, the road leads me along the now dry riverbed that created this place. 20 story sheer cliffs rise above me 50 yards apart. For the first time in my life, signs that say "Watch for Falling Rocks" have meaning, real meaning. I scan the cliffs and can identify areas that will eventually be trouble, no event today. It takes me an hour and a half to get 18 miles in and I have to turn back because the road leads me in the wrong direction.

I mount the video camera onto Silvers engine guards and head back the way I came, now familiar with the road and its hazards, I am able to push it a little. It takes me only 20 minutes to get back out. The video is amazing.

More to come... again... thanks for reading

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Frank Herbert , "Dune"

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

"Remember the face of your father." Roland the Gunslinger

http://rogue1.smugmug.com

"T.A.L.R. Redux 2007" HAS BEGUN!!! Visit the "I once was lost..." Website

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 02:00 PM Reason: sgub...
Rogue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:40 PM   #92
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,912
What an incredible thread this is!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:37 AM   #93
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
How the hell did I miss this one!?!?!?!

AWESOME, R1!

Blew me away when I saw the pic of Mike/Spartacus/ossi/Cheesewiz. That boy do get around...
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #94
Peachmaan
Boneless chicken

Oddometer: 429
LINK to VIDEO, pleeaasseeee...
Peachmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #95
Pawk

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue 1
Thanks Pawk... I know I missed alot... but I saw alot as well... ... there are still 11,000 miles of story left... read on my friends...

So about 15,000 miles total?
Nevermind what I said, I didn't know what I was talking about...

Keep it coming man!!!!!
Freaking Brilliant.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #96
zero-zero
Horny Horned One

Oddometer: 2,378
=====THIS IS A STERN WARNING FOR ROGUE1=====

Should you, in a moment of boredom coupled with ill judgement, decide to quit writing this ride report, leaving it unfinished and us all hanging, I will personally take it as a matter of priority to assemble a posse of disgruntled readers from Flugistan to Fishworld, with me as representative of the Yurrupean chapter, to find you wherever you might hide, and to instill some better decision-making into your head by the simple means of repeated, violent impact with a two-by-four until the desired effect takes place. You have been warned.

As you were.

Signed:

Zero-Zero
Fascist moderator

www.zero-zero.com
zero-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 AM   #97
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-zero
=====THIS IS A STERN WARNING FOR ROGUE1=====

Should you, in a moment of boredom coupled with ill judgement, decide to quit writing this ride report, leaving it unfinished and us all hanging, I will personally take it as a matter of priority to assemble a posse of disgruntled readers from Flugistan to Fishworld, with me as representative of the Yurrupean chapter, to find you wherever you might hide, and to instill some better decision-making into your head by the simple means of repeated, violent impact with a two-by-four until the desired effect takes place. You have been warned.

As you were.

Signed:

Zero-Zero
Fascist moderator
FER CHRISESSAKE ZERO !!! Ya nearly gi'mme a heart attack!!!!
I signed on and saw that 6 foot tall shite of a warning and was like HOLY F'IN SHIT WTF DID I DO WRONG????

JEEEEzzzz Zero-Zero... man... I don't know when I'll feel good about goin' back in the net and writing more...

"I never drive faster than I can see... other than that it's all in the reflexes..." BTILC

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 05-11-2004 at 09:03 AM Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #98
zero-zero
Horny Horned One

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
I don't know when I'll feel good about goin' back in the net and writing more...
(Assembling posse now...)

www.zero-zero.com
zero-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #99
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Please don't stop! I need more! Usually a ride report with that much pavement wouldn't hold my interest, but your descriptions and pictures are incredible. I've ridden the motocross track in CO that you spoke of, great fun, and traveled parts of I70 west of Denver, but I haven't spent any time in Utah. After seeing the pictures, I can't wait. Maybe I'll change my travel plans for the return trip from Ouray to include Utah instead of Wyoming.

Keep up the good work!
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #100
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-zero
(Assembling posse now...)
Feeling better now... palpitations have subsided...

... call off your dogs of war...

Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #101
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,261
I'm tapping a fresh vein as we speak....

I have truly enjoyed reading this tale............now hurry the F#CK up and post some more..

Sorry, I had slight withdrawl symptom's for a moment...
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #102
ktrjc
Displaced Yooper

Oddometer: 3,620
Thumb

This thread is great, keep writing, I can hardly wait for the next exciting chapter of "Took a little ride". I envy you for having the time and money to do this. Keep the story coming.
ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #103
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Riding makes ya hungry!

A quick steak & eggs at the Boulder Mesa, a family run roadside just off 12 leads to them insisting on taking a picture of me and Silver. That's a new one! Great food, fast service with a truly home style feel (they do substitutions with a smile) this place is a great stop on your Burr Trail run.

Straight ahead...

Back on 12 south, I hit the main section of The Escalante Staircase. Out freaking standing! The road winds along the very top center ridge of this amazing mountain range (similar to The Blue Ridge Parkway, but the lack of vegetation allows for an unobstructed, 200 mile visibility, 360 degree panoramic view).

Looking Left...

Looking Right..

Don & Mary Alice... they wanted to feed me... Rangers wouldn't let 'em...

At a scenic turn out, I park next to a shiny, new, gray BMW R1200C, decked out for touring and meet Don & Mary Alice on the road out of Salt Lake. We chat, they offer me lunch, which I graciously refuse as I had steak and eggs an hour earlier at a little place outside The Burr Trail.

We trade road advice and I let them know that Burr Trail is a must, as well as 128 near Moab, if they have the time. We trade email info, and they let me know that I should say hello if I'm ever in the Salt Lake area again (which I may be in January for Sundance). Then they really hook me up, having just passed through 2 National Parks that I'm heading into, the give me there "no longer needed" already paid for park passes for Bryce and Zion!

This will save me $40 dollars (and these days, every penny counts). Thanks so much guys! (I received your email, glad you felt the same as I about Burr Trail, let me know your impressions of 128)... safe journeys.

Best not to look at the view while vehicle is in motion...

Out of Escalante, I reach the entrance to Bryce at 4pm. Stop at an outfitter for a tent base tarp, a stuff sack for the Therma-Rest and as an after thought, a different brand of chem. pack hand warmers.

Before entering I (as is my habit) remove the video camera from its mount and stuff it into my tank bag for safe keeping (still a NYer at heart).

Shopping for supplies complete I exit the store and move to remount the camera for the run through Bryce... Hmmm... let's take a quick look at that amazing footage on the Burr Trail again.

What the? Why won't it work! SH**! I should not have left the camera on the mount for the whole ride between Escalante and Bryce! Something is broken, vibrated loose and rattling. I can't even get the damn tape out of the machine.

OK, I'll deal with it later.

I pass through the ranger check point, no problem, flashing Don & Mary Alice's Park pass. Deer everywhere, unmolested here, they have no fear of humans.

The road twists perfectly for motor sport riding and I am scraping the new tire edges, breaking them in nicely. I follow this awesome road up to its termination, Rainbow Point, Elevation 9200 feet. I wont even attempt to describe this canyon to you (the pictures will go a long way)... suffice to say it is spectacular!

This shot was taken by a German tourist... mostly Germans and Asians visiting at this time of the year...

My first Hoo-Doo!

Thor's Hammer

The incorrectly named Natural Bridge

Once again, the sun is low and I want to get as far down in elevation as possible before I make camp. Another night like the last at Singletree might kill me. I really push the big GS on the road back out of Bryce. Oh man what a great run! High velocity twisties on perfect pavement. Scraping Jesses!

Dear everywhere... full alert... and apparently Bryce is not a hunting area so these particular specimens have no fear of man and ignore me as I stop and take this shot.

Back onto 12south, I run through Red Rock Canyon as the setting sun lights up the rock faces like amber neon.

St 12 runs into 9South. I stop at a KOA on the honor system with 8 to 10 deer gathered in the parking lot. One is a buck, and a young one at that, a bunch of females and at least 2 or 3 little ones. I am tellin' ya, the animal kingdom knows how to live!

The place looks a little shabby, the elevation here is 6700 feet and the road slopes down hill, I'll take my chances and keep going.

5 miles further on, at 5700 ft, I find Bauer Campsites and make Mr. Bauer's acquaintance. A friendly man, he shows me the apple orchard where I can set up anywhere I want, gives me a can of fuel to start a fire, shows me the woodpile and points out the showers facilities.

"Might get down to 35f tonight" Mr Bauer tells me with a concerened look on his face.

"35f? ... " I ask... I'm dancing a jig!

Cookin' by the Chuck Wagon...

Hot fire, beans, beer

... and good people to talk with...

Tent up, chili cooking, fire blazing, feet, toes and fingers warm and toasty, I am in heaven. The only other campers, Dave and Julie from Rhode Island, join me by the fire. They are kind enough to share their beer with me and we chat for an hour or two. Nice kids... heading to California the looooong way, we trade map and road info, email and promise to keep in touch.

Asleep in my tent, 35 degrees feels like summer.

Well, time to end this chapter. Untill next time, follow your dreams!

`````~~~~=o&o>

These boots are taking a real beat'n...

Again...Thanks for reading

Rogue 1 screwed with this post 08-12-2006 at 02:21 PM Reason: bugs
Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #104
tribeless

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
beans, beer [/size][/font][/b]
Note to self, add Rouge 1 to list of advriders always be riding in front of.

Does Julie have a sister? There's this guy I know upstate has been in the market for a while...

Your story just gets better. Good On Ya! thumb
tribeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #105
Rogue 1 OP
Walking Nike Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeless
Note to self, add Rouge 1 to list of advriders always be riding in front of.

Does Julie have a sister? There's this guy I know upstate has been in the market for a while...

Your story just gets better. Good On Ya! thumb
I can't believe I found a "smart filey"!!! hic

Thanks Tribless

See ya Sunday