Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #1501
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
any luck? if there's any chance that it's compression related you'll have to get a leak down tester (they sell some at harbor freight) to check the compression. not a bad thing to own anyways, yet i still don't have one. i wish i had more time right now cause i'd fix it for yuo but i haven't even had time to put a clutch in Ashley's DR or spokes in her TW. she might be a little pissed when i fix my bike before hers.

if you end up putting up a thread on TT send me the link, i'd like to know what other people have to say. i still think it's the stator but without l;ooking at it there's no way to tell. the compression issue could be what's wrong but i think you would have seen more gradual signs of it failing...like hard to start at times and having to turn the idle up all time once warm. atleast that's what happened to mine.

i get a leak down tester and check that and if that is ok then check the stator/igntion pickup. did you also check the plug at the cdi box?
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #1502
rippinitup
Suzi KLRista

Oddometer: 204
Does that engine have compression release to help it start easier? May account for seemingly low compression.

Wet clutch is generally only bothered by polymers in the 5w and lower oils (5w40, 5w50, etc). Alex may know more, but I would recommend 20w50 oil due to the heat down here. I know lots of guys that run the regular car castrol gtx 20w50 just fine. I tried the rotella and wasn't impressed, seemed pretty watery when it came out. I try to change the oil every 1000 miles or so. Lately I've been running the mobil 1 20w50 full synthetic (which is a marketing term meaning it's a synthetic blend but what can ya do) and I don't notice any difference in the clutch and when its time to change the oil its still pretty thick.

There are tons of oil threads about which is best and after reading alot of them I decided to just use car oil and change it often because thumpers with wet clutches destroy oil quickly. Most of the tests I've seen for motorcycle oils don't show them as being that much better in these kind of engines but ymmv.

rippinitup screwed with this post 05-18-2010 at 07:08 PM
rippinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #1503
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

i just try to use a good 50w oil in my bikes. i was running Motul 5100 15/50 and now Amsoild 20?50 mc oil and next i'm sure will be Mobile1.

damn stator for my bike still isn't here tho, i want to ride!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #1504
pg350
n00b

Oddometer: 5
oil

Thanks, I got some mobile one motorcycle oil from a friend so thats what Ill try first. Thanks for all the info. I got to do a little trail riding the other day. So far I love this bike, been averaging near 60mpg with lots of full throttle. Maybe when everyones bikes are running and there is time we could all meet up somewhere local. I usually have of sat - mon.
pg350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #1505
W33ZL3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Alex, here is the thread that I had started on TT about my issue http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...starting-issue.

I haven't had much time since the weekend to look at it, probably wont get to have at it again until this weekend. I'll probably be working on it up in Page Field, so if you ever get a wild hair and want to help a brother out I'd buy lunch and beer. =)

Otherwise, the GSXR is running and up to date with maintenance, ready for a ride.

On another note, do you know anything about Brit bike electrical? Luke has that Triumph bobber that hes been trying to wire up, real simple design but we couldnt get power to the lights.
W33ZL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #1506
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZL3
Alex, here is the thread that I had started on TT about my issue http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...starting-issue.

I haven't had much time since the weekend to look at it, probably wont get to have at it again until this weekend. I'll probably be working on it up in Page Field, so if you ever get a wild hair and want to help a brother out I'd buy lunch and beer. =)

Otherwise, the GSXR is running and up to date with maintenance, ready for a ride.

On another note, do you know anything about Brit bike electrical? Luke has that Triumph bobber that hes been trying to wire up, real simple design but we couldnt get power to the lights.
i'll check out the thread.

if i get my bike running (hopefully the parts will be here by THIS weekend) and i am out test driving it i'll stop by.

which Luke? if it's charging wire them up off the battery with a relay.

on a side note: anyone have a xrr or XRL that they want to trade with me for a couple days? i'm thinking a less aggressive bike might be in my future.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #1507
1camwonder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad
i'll check out the thread.

if i get my bike running (hopefully the parts will be here by THIS weekend) and i am out test driving it i'll stop by.

which Luke? if it's charging wire them up off the battery with a relay.

on a side note: anyone have a xrr or XRL that they want to trade with me for a couple days? i'm thinking a less aggressive bike might be in my future.
Alex, talk to Jason about his bike and see if its what your looking for
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #1508
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Woo hoo my parts are here!. If anyone wants to ride Sunday let me know. Gonna start on it now.

Adam next time you talk to Jason see if he wants to trade bikes with me for a few hours so I can try out a xrl.

Edit: that's one fried stator

But I'm charging at 14.3 volts, woot!

DualSportDad screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 05:55 PM
Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #1509
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Reserve has been met on my feebay auction....Looks like I'll be bikeless soon...

On a good note, I've got a contract on a house and it should close mid June, and then I'll be bike shopping again..

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1510
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet. What are thinking about this time around?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #1511
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Don't know yet...Lighter and with knobblies I'm sure....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #1512
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc
Don't know yet...Lighter and with knobblies I'm sure....
sweet!

we're going to have fun teaching you to ride sand. i say dr350, or dr650 if you want to be able to still do long trips.

thinking about riding to Felda Sunday if anyone is interested.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #1513
pg350
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Felda

I dont know the lee county area that well, so whats in Felda? I might be able to do something Sunday afternoon.
pg350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #1514
DualSportDad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Felda is Felda, Fl. there is a forest there, i call it the "Ok slough" cause i have no idea how to spell it. you can google search "forest in felda" and you should get something. it's legal for dualsports to ride there.

i plan to go in the morning and stop by my buddies house in the early afternoon and home by no later than 5.

if you want to meet up just let me know and we'll set somethig up. Felix you still reading this thread? if so you want to ride Felda as well? Adam, Jason, John, etc...anyone?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #1515
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad
sweet!

we're going to have fun teaching you to ride sand. i say dr350, or dr650 if you want to be able to still do long trips.

thinking about riding to Felda Sunday if anyone is interested.
A DR650 might be nice, but really have my heart set on a 125 Zuma.....

2011 Connie 1400