User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #1
John2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Help me decide..

I have test ridden the f800GS and like the bike but there is 1 test that I have only performed with the KTM 690R and Vstrom. And that is picking the bike up after laying it on its side.

Does anybody have trouble picking the bike up solo after a nap? Also have you picked up the bike with travel gear and do you think you could lift the bike easily 5 times in a day?

1 area to me that bike reviews lag is the energy needed to lift the bike as bike layouts could drastically change these numbers.

All the questions because the single cylinder is not my favorite and there are is only 1 single dual sport that has efi and ABS to the best of my knowledge presently being made.

Thanks
John2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #2
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I am an average strength guy. Maybe a bit above, but not a bodybuilder or anything. The f800 is tough to pick up, but doesn't kill me. Mine took 5 or 6 naps in one day and I was pretty darn tired after that many pickups. Its a heavy machine.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #3
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2 View Post
I have test ridden the f800GS and like the bike but there is 1 test that I have only performed with the KTM 690R and Vstrom. And that is picking the bike up after laying it on its side.

Does anybody have trouble picking the bike up solo after a nap? Also have you picked up the bike with travel gear and do you think you could lift the bike easily 5 times in a day?

1 area to me that bike reviews lag is the energy needed to lift the bike as bike layouts could drastically change these numbers.

All the questions because the single cylinder is not my favorite and there are is only 1 single dual sport that has efi and ABS to the best of my knowledge presently being made.

Thanks
I'm a relatively skinny dude and have no troubles picking the bike up. There are good ways and bad ways of picking the bike up. As with everything else, use your legs, not the back. There are good video's out there.

Strongly recommend that you ask for help anytime a buddy is around. No need to pull your back trying to prove one's manhood. But if you cannot pick up the bike on your own, when needed, that is a sign...

The amount of extra weight (and it's location on the bike) will have an influence on how "easy" it will be to pick up. Panniers actually make it a little easier as the bike is closer to 35 or so degrees off the ground. If you have luggage that can easily be un-clipped from the bike in the event of a fall, then you will work less of course.
El Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #4
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,195
Help me decide..

As another inmate here can confirm, I have experience at this. The F800GS can be picked up with ease, like most bikes of equal or less weight. However, if you really want it easy at this weight, buy a boxer with a pair of MachineartMoto valve cover protectors. You can even spin the bike around on a slope to get the wheels downhill!

I have both. The boxer wins this particular contest.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #5
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
You can even spin the bike around on a slope to get the wheels downhill!

Fred
Cylinders are not for pirouettes.

Unless you have your Klim Tutu on.

Even then, just learn how to ride wudya.
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #6
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,195
You're just envious.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #7
John2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for your input. No doubt the Boxer has a incredible unique advantage.
John2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #8
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 579
It's not an easy bike to get up when in a bad spot. It will be easier if you remove any luggage/storage from the top or seat area.

4/5 times in a day will be draining…I did it 3 times in one rock garden alone, and two other times that day.

If you get this bike stuck, you have to have the equipment, ingenuity or help to get it out.

BTW, I would have been stuck more often with the boxer…or I'd have to be luckier at picking routes through very large mud puddles.

Still love mine
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #9
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
I think I've dropped mine 14-15 times. Sometimes it was really easy to pick up other times not so easy. Since the bike is pretty tall it is important to be in the right position before starting to lift it. There seems to be an awkward point when the bike is at about a 45 degree angle that is sometimes tough to push through. Attempting to lift up the bike if the wheels are uphill seems about impossible for 1 person.
A bad lift attempt just wastes energy and may damage the bike so I will walk around, look at the bike and think a little before picking it up with a properly planned attempt. I get my feet as close as possible to the bike, back to the bike one hand on a handlebar and the other on the passenger hand grab. Use my legs to lift.