User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #1
Vandal 62 OP
Mouth Breather

Oddometer: 678
New Suspension

Gents, a quick and dirty review of my new suspension on my '13 800. I'm running Pirelli scorpion rallye front and rear. This winter was a wrenching winter in my newly heated garage. Like most I was unhappy with the stock suspension especially off road during spirited riding. After months of research and convincing my wife I got the green light. I picked up and installed the Ohlins NIX FKA105 front end cartridge kit. In the rear went a touratech expedition shock. Front and rear and fully adjustable.

So, after I spent a little bit of time getting the sag and pre load set up it was time to ride.

Wow, what a difference. At first it was hard to tell because I had also put on a Renazco racing seat, arrow exhaust and was raising in new alpinestars boots. Combined with the fact it was my first ride in a year, due to our winter.

yesterday was a good test of single track, rocky trails mud and playing around in some quarry's with a couple of klrs. The difference is incredible. It feels like a new machine, my confidence has gone through the roof. When I got home I noticed that the front end only compressed about 6" where as the stock would have been close to bottom.

This setup is absolutely brilliant. I do notice however the same front end noises that persisted with the stock forks. The infamous gs clunking on certain types of terrain and certain speeds. I believe this has to be the floating discs. That's all I can think of ,thoughts?

Guys if anyone is thinking of doing suspension do it if you can. It is absolutely worth it. I have fallen in love with my GS all over again after a period of resentment.

I will be glad to answer any questions anyone has with any of these parts. Once i pull my finger out and figure how to post pictures I will get some up of my filthy bike sometime.

Best of luck, Paul.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #2
ianblomeyer
ianblomeyer

Oddometer: 24
Nice. I did mine as well and am very happy.
ianblomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #3
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I'm looking at changing front and rear suspension this summer. Thanks for the info. Still doing research on what I want. Looking into the touratech cartridges for front. Konflict is now a Touratech (Tractive) auth maintainer.

Ya, the clunk is the floating rotors.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #4
Vandal 62 OP
Mouth Breather

Oddometer: 678
I talked with Alex at Konflict for a while on the phone and he helped me immensely with my decision. Couldn't be happier with my setup.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #5
valMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal 62 View Post
I talked with Alex at Konflict for a while on the phone and he helped me immensely with my decision. Couldn't be happier with my setup.
+1 on that
valMoto is online now   Reply With Quote