ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.17%
No 151 26.22%
I have not but I want to! 285 49.48%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #5341
Nutmeggah
Pilot

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
3 seconds in and "FUCK THAT"! That's bananas. maybe with a reserve parachute.
Fuck that! Can you imagine sliding down that cliff and with a 250 lb bike!

Splat factor is too high.

"Cut me Mick . . . so I can See!" Rocky Balboa....
Nutmeggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #5342
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
All that mud reminds me of last year's Hoot's!

I've posted this video before but it warrants reposting since the event is just around the corner. As painful a ride as it was it was some good times, and left me with memories I'll never forget. At the start of this clip is Sparrow in front of me on the blue Yamaha. Jcalis on the white Yamaha on the left. Redbeard is behind me, around the corner, on his KTM: he was not enjoying himself but stuck with us until the end. I think that was my first time riding with motogo1 and sledstorm. Motogo1 made a big splash that day early on and I think cracked a rib toward the end. Sledstorm took a spill that fractured his ankle and took him out of the race. I believe nobody was there too, though he left before us and made it farther to the end than we did. Ecrane99 showed up wwwwaaayyyy late but made it farther than all of us. Pretty sure he has footage of himself crossing the strong current of the flooded stream on the last sections. These rides are always adventures!

Wow,I don't remember this ride being that bad.Great ride,good times...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #5343
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
I think it was just that one hill. It's a tough ride all around but that hill was bad. The ruts were deep and the mud was greasy. This year ought to better given the lack of snow and rain so far.

sparrow screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 03:56 PM
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #5344
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
I think it was just that one hill. It's a tough ride all around but that hill was bad. The ruts were deep and the mud was greasy. This year ought to better given the lack of snow nad and rain so far.
That ride was GNARLY! I remember in that rut section from hell, coming around a corner and facing a NASTY looking rut. I just stopped and kept thinking 'I can't go in there, I'll never get out'. As a sat there thinking what the hell to do, some riders with an apparent disregard for danger, came by me, slammed into the rut, gassed it and were gone. So, I too went and made it. Two years in a row that ride has Kicked My Ass. Maybe this year I'll finish it,,,,maybe.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #5345
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Last year wasn't as bad as the first year. Doing miles of first gear single track with temps in the mid 90's is brutal on both bike and body.

I did see a crusty old veteran on a KTM 950 enduro take a 20ft vertical granite rock in stride.
Me and about 6 other guys were sitting there looking at this behemoth of a rock wondering WTF we were going to do and this guy comes up the trail hesitates for a milisecond and just HITS it. He blasted up the face to the top never got off the gas and was just gone. I looked at one of the other guys and said "what was that" the guy says "that's so and so. He's 65 yrs. old".................. I hung my head in shame
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #5346
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,072
i am glad you posted up that vid........ I had begun to talk myself into looking forward to doing that ride again this spring.

That ride kicked my ASS!! but I think I want another shot at it this year...........

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5347
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Hoots ride is usually pretty easy....... except for last year. All I can remember is MUD everywhere! I was helping a friend in our group put his chain back on the the third time in Darius' video clip at the muddy corner from hell.....

I keep having flashbacks to this part near the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHHQAIlnGlM
The event "staff" on quads saying something to the effect of "You have to walk your bike across...... everyone who tried to ride across was washed downstream and died" You can hear me laugh as he said this..... we made it across and lived to tell about it.

This year pray for no rain, and the course will be easy (and fun). Don't miss it!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #5348
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,363
I hear it's a hoot. It would be my first.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #5349
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

I didn't make it to that water last year but I used to ride those power lines all the time about 10 years ago. That little river can get huge. As in 6 feet deep and about 60ft across.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #5350
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,363
Weather looks very mild through the weekend. I'm definitely going to be there on Sunday morning. I can't wait.

I did go assist some parachute jumpers that landed at an event once. I don't know the exact name of it, but it was very close to (or in) Ellington CT. It was a HUGE event. So the point is, it went off perfectly. The large crowd was silent while the Star Spangled banner was playing and as soon as the song was over, the jumpers were landing. The jumpers had a BIG flag hanging. The crowd cheers and a hundred bikes or so immediately start up. Yea, that was pretty fucking cool.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #5351
nobody
motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
I didn't make it to that water last year but I used to ride those power lines all the time about 10 years ago. That little river can get huge. As in 6 feet deep and about 60ft across.
It was chest high when I got there probably the 4th or 5th bike at that point
We were not able to go through,no one went through at the time.I was pissed they didn't preride the event
Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #5352
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I was pissed they didn't preride the event

Not as pissed as Gary.

Here's Ed's view of the water crossings. Like jcalis, he made it look easy... http://youtu.be/4WTMx6eiWIY?t=6m14s

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #5353
nobody
motomaniac

Quote:
Not as pissed as Gary.

Here's Ed's view of the water crossings. Like jcalis, he made it look easy... http://youtu.be/4WTMx6eiWIY?t=6m14s
Gary pissed naahh,never heard that I only heard happy KX Storyes from him!and as always IM strucked by no luck with a severe groin muscle pull so no Gary's enduro for me,
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #5354
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Not as pissed as Gary.
Yeah, I had to go to anger management classes after that event. I'm all better now...

Hey, good luck to Ed, Rob and anybody else riding the Snow Run this Sunday. Ironically, it looks to have less snow than the Snow Run last August,,,???
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #5355
craftyboy
Ed

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Weather looks very mild through the weekend. I'm definitely going to be there on Sunday morning. I can't wait.

Are you running studded tires for the snow run? I may see you up there (without studs).

edcrane.com
craftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote