ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.04%
No 151 26.08%
I have not but I want to! 288 49.74%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #5896
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
:lol. You sound like a bike pimp.
I suck at humor!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #5897
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Tyre Range - Motoz - Dual Sport tires, Neumáticos De Enduro ...

I know a very accomplisged rider who swears by these. Says they are better than the MT16/59 combo. I'm not sure which model.

I don't know about sanctioned events but I have been pulled over 5 times since last Sept and never once was there a peek at the sidewalls for ratings.

just sayin, maybee the DOT rating is overated!

MAKE THAT 6 TIMES!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #5898
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
MAKE THAT 6 TIMES!
What the hell? Why do they keep pulling you over?
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #5899
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
MAKE THAT 6 TIMES!
Again? Was the old man there clubbing you with his cane while the cops were working you over?

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #5900
Happy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
What the hell? Why do they keep pulling you over?
I dont know, starting to piss me off! This time I was going to meet Al and got pulled 1/2 mile from home by Westbrooks finest! He saw the plate but said He didn't see the headlight. Said my plate was mounted wrong but then said there's no place else to mount it! Never said a peep about blinkers or anything else. Didn't pull my ID. Then told me about a bike he used to have! I think once they realize I'm not a kid they change their first instinct.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #5901
Happy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
Again? Was the old man there clubbing you with his cane while the cops were working you over?
I have not seen him again. All the riders in the area now know about him though!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #5902
akarob
Green Cantern

Yea, its best to keep a cool head at first and talk calmly to them. Maybe they'll eventually get to know you and start giving you some slack. Maybe start waving to all the cops you see so they know you as "that guy that waves". If they ask about the wave, then you can tell them about the excessive "protection". i
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #5903
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
I have not seen him again. All the riders in the area now know about him though!

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5904
V8
_

Oddometer: 9,076
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #5905
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Fixed....

Quote:

I think once they realize I'm just a big kid they change their first instinct.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #5906
Happy Seal

Quote:
Yea, its best to keep a cool head at first and talk calmly to them. Maybe they'll eventually get to know you and start giving you some slack. Maybe start waving to all the cops you see so they know you as "that guy that waves". If they ask about the wave, then you can tell them about the excessive "protection". i
I was in Chester and a statie was coming the other way by Cedar lake. I waved and he just stopped and stared, then he kept going the other way. I've been trying the waving thing. I always carry my license now!

Good one Thad!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #5907
mpellet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
I was riding the loop last month on one of those 80 degree days. It was about 4PM, I was solo, coming up to Wayassup Lake on the road, I decided to cut the corner and took a right on that little road called "Armstrong Pent" (private but you can't really see the private sign if you are making a RIGHT onto the road) . I was going very slow down the road, 15 mph (or less) and my DRZ is not real loud. I was approximately 3/4s of the way down the road when out of the corner of my eye, I spy this maniac sprinting across his front lawn , arms waiving , yelling. He is on a heading resulting in constant bearing with rapidly decreasing range to my track line, we WILL be occupying the same position on the road in seconds.

Guy was averaged size and I would say in late 50s. He jumps out in front of me and is clearly in GO MODE. It was either run the the guy over with the bike or stop. Mind you a second earlier I was as calm and relaxed as one could be riding a motorcycle about 50 miles into the Pachaug Loop. The guy is nearly frothing at the mouth and honestly given his level of aggression, it would not have surprised me even a little if he was carrying a concealed weapon. I am not small by any means, and given when and where I grew up, no stranger at all to a street fight, but that was the LAST thing I was looking for. I was out for a dirt bike ride NOT to be dealing with the police trying to explain why I had to beat this man in his own front yard or dodging .40 cal rounds when this guy pulled the piece that he might have had.

Honestly the guy surprised me so badly I really didn't even have time to get pissed, this encounter went from 0 to 100 in a flash. He was screaming " NO BIKES NO BIKES" sort of jumping up and down. He calmed down a bit when I pulled off my goggles and realized he was looking at a nearly 50 year old man and not a kid, then went into a speech how there were " No Bikes Allowed On This Road" that there was a sign and how his last dog had followed a motorcycle and been run over.

As mentioned the last thing I was looking for was a "beef" and I just nodded spun a 180 and headed out the way I came in.

At the top of a the road, I did note a small sign, that I had not seen when I took the initial right hand turn onto Armstrong Pent that said "Private" .

I guess I was probably wrong to go down the road, but as mentioned it was easy to miss the sign. It all happened so fast I was already back in the trails when I started to get pissed off at what had just happened.

If you find yourself riding the loop and have a witness or two along and a video camera handy and your looking for a law suit or just want to reaffirm that you can still street fight , turn on Armstrong Pent . My money says this guy will come out to "greet" you.

Might be a good idea for one rider to trail the pack with the GoPro Camera ON. The video of the encounter should provide helpful evidence in the court room to justify why you had to beat this guy in self defense OR might be helpful in the civil case you take out against this guy after he knocks you off your bike.

Ride safe..............MP

mpellet screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 05:22 AM
mpellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #5908
akarob
Green Cantern

Been there. I was leading a group of 4 or 5 bikes and was turning in there when some guy in a car starts freaking the fuck out saying something about a private road and all that. I'm not too shy to argue, but I decided it would be best to keep the peace and just go around.

About that guys dog, it sucks, but it's his responsibility to keep his dog on his property. What if the dog went out of his yard to bike someone. I think they all know that we're just there to cut through, but we COULD be visiting someone on that road - at which point I'd have to calmly as him to fuck himself.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #5909
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
we take that shortcut all the time, have never noticed the sign. be interesting to see if the road is kept up by town/state funding or not, to see if it is truly "private".
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #5910
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
That guy has a cousin at the west end of Central Pike...
Claimed he owns the road... checked with town... and it was BS...

He rode up on me with his two sons frothing all on ATVs... and he was packing a rifle...
jgormley is online now   Reply With Quote