ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.13%
No 151 26.17%
I have not but I want to! 286 49.57%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 577. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #811
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,374
Not sure if I'll make it but I wouldn't mind camping at CCC on Saturday. Apparently it's cool, just no water or electric hook ups. Thats ok though, my tent didn't come with hoop ups anyway.

If I have anything else to say about the event, I'll put it in the Rock Ride thread.

I should be at the NETRA lot this Sunday by 9:30. A little rain in the morning isn't going to stop me this week either. My pig's got a taste for mud - can't keep her away much longer.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #812
gks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Camping at Pachaug Rock Ride T.R.

We'll be camping Friday and Saturday nights in the field above the clubhouse. Plans are for good food and a good campfire.
BTW- there is an unofficial guided dual sport ride on Sunday as well. We can accomidate V-Stroms, big GS's and passengers with a nice mix of tar, gravel and easy woods roads.
gks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #813
lateapex31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzEaEiWnGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbV2wGnwod8

Clips from today's ride. akarob skillfully leading through the CT woods on his XR.

Plugged carb vent hoses suck!

lateapex31 screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 08:42 PM
lateapex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #814
akarob
Green Cantern

That was pretty incredible that those guys in the pickup came along the exact moment we needed help - and they were going back to the NETRA lot! Stuff like that just doesn't happen. So lucky, it would have taken a while to get you out of there otherwise.

My XR repairs wont be so easy. Planning a teardown sometime very soon. It's smoking pretty good now.

There were a lot of bikes out there today. I think a lot of them were "helping" with the trails in preperation of next weeks Turkey Run.

This is a video of the water crossing.

And here's a picture taken shortly after. We ran into a guy on an old Yamaha. It was in nice shape.

akarob screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 04:21 AM
Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #815
lateapex31
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually they were going to a dirt lot that was about a mile up the trail. I showed them where the NETRA lot was on my GPS and they were like 'ohhh, that's a long ways off'. So they took me out to a road which was still a huge help as there were some steep climbs to get there from where the bike died. The bike fell over whilst in the bed of the truck (pretty much upide down) which got the crap out of the jets and allowed me to see the underside of the bike and the carb vents plugged solid w/ mud. I got the bike refired and followed the GPS back to the NETRA lot. I actually hit about 5 more miles of trail on the way back (from the farmers field back to the lot) and the bike ran OK as long as I wheelied over the water holes. Water up to the carb vents and it would die. I'm going to re route the carb vents to the airbox and seal the airbox itself better this week. Lesson learned!

It will be interesting to see what is worn in the XR engine once you tear it down.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #816
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,216
Looks like some great riding on Sunday, Nice Videos.

What happen to the six-fiddy Rob?

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #817
dirty joe

Oddometer: 154
rock ride

Have not heard much about Rock Ride is there a thread and who is going
dirty joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #818
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
What happen to the six-fiddy Rob?
My motor sucked up some dirty water and junk through the case vent. I think it'll be ok, but I have to test it out tonight or tomorrow. Fresh oil, oil filter & spark plug and I also adjusted the valves. It's smoking a little now and I know I'll have to put some new rings in sometime, I'm hoping it'll be ok for the rest of the season.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #819
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob

Hey.. I bumped into you guys Sunday..I was on my dualsport,at the pond...I reconize the older Yamaha..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #820
lateapex31
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm
Hey.. I bumped into you guys Sunday..I was on my dualsport,at the pond...I reconize the older Yamaha..
It was nice meeting you! Maybe you can show me the ropes this winter.....it still sounds crazy to me but I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #821
mpellet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I rode the loop today. The wind and rain has kicked the $hit out of the leaves and lots of them are down. Light rain on and off throughout my ride. The rain combined with all the downed leaves made for MUCH slicker conditions then I had last week but still a lot of fun......
mpellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #822
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,723
Just got back from the "Rock Ride". The event was amply named--rocks galore! This was my first turkey run and if this is an example of what other turkey runs are like this will be my last...I'll stick with the dual-sport runs . I knew I was in over my head when I saw that dual-sports like mine were the minority. I had actually done the "loop" with akarob about a month back and that was relatively easy compared to this run.

I hooked up with a group experienced riders from L.I. who had one n00b like me and they basically kicked my ass all over the trail. Granted I was on a stock DRZ 400 with DOT tires and they had 3 KTM's, a Husky, a KDX and a WR450 but there was definitely a level of skill there that I doubt I'll ever achieve. Somehow I ended up behind the sweepers, twice.

Below is Eric (stuck) and Bob the n00b. Eric eventually dumped the KTM sideways in the big bog and took on water. He got it running but lost his connection to the rest of the group and headed back to CCC.

Here's Eric, Mike the Mechanic (from the Berkshire Trailriders club), Brett and Bob. I did learn a new way to conserve energy on the trail: in situations like this, if you pull out a camera and start taking pics, you don't need to help pull the bikes out )

I think I was the only one to actually ride my bike to the event (from Milford, about an hour and a half away)...guess the 39 degree weather in the morning was too much for everyone (it was actually too much for me, but I wasn't turning back).

All in all it was a good day, especially since I didn't get hurt, and I enjoyed the run but it was just a little too extreme for me at my skill level and age.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #823
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Darius, that is highly unusual and HARDCORE, to ride your bike to a Turkey Run, ride the course and then ride home! Do you have to work Mon AM? You deserve an Iron Butt award! The Rock Ride actually was pretty typical of New England turkey runs as far as terrain and conditions. That is why you see mostly plated enduro bikes, lighter weight, better suspension...etc. Don't get discouraged too easily, ride with similar bikes and similar levels of experience. Most of all have fun, when that stops, its time to quit!
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #824
MINI31JBC
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Darius I will ride with you anytime you want to ride(mostly weekends). I was going to ride the turkey run. I ride a stock drz and i usually ride with two other stock drz's. I would like a nice casual ride through the loop
MINI31JBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #825
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
yeah, riding the loop on a DRZ would be challenging. Stick with enduro bikes as they will just be more fun and less tiring.