User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Gernick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Tell me about mid 90's BMW K1100 LT's.

Yeah. I know. I've done the search. I've read what I could find. I need moar!

Lets see....hot. Heavy. Top heavy. Hot. Great wind protection. Heavy. Uh....what else? Ah yes. Tall.

Now. What else can you folks tell me? Personal experiences appreciated.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
K1100lt

Great bike. A lot lighter than a K1200LT!
Smooth and powerful tourer, it will run with the best. Typical K bike top heaviness but not a big deal. The electric windshield is fabulous.
The 4 valve engine will use a little oil between changes whereas the 2 valvers rarely did/do.
95 to 100 HP and 638 lbs and a gvw of 1100lbs.
Another advantage is bias ply tires. Better tire life and lower replacement costs. There are some radials, namely Avons, that will fit, but not a major difference in handling.
93 was first year of K1100LT. That year had the 450 W alternator and "some" customer complained about foot peg vibrations. 94 had the police 700w alternator upgrade and a rubber mount for the foot peg mounts. So 94 to 97 are pretty much the same. If you get a really good deal on a 93, don't fret. It's still a fantastic bike. 450 watts will run pretty much all your electrical needs if you ride solo.
K1100LT with low miles can be found for 5 grand or less. You won't be sorry.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
CrashBar
Just Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 133
93 K1100 LT Owner

I have a 93 K1100LT. Bought it in 2000 with 30K miles - just broken in. Now at 92K Miles and still going strong. Uses 1/2 quart of oil or less every 2500 miles. Mine has always been very smooth, and above 85 it "hunkers down" and really wants to go.

Tons of storage - I have the trunk and tankbag (expensive but convenient) and can carry Mrs Crash and a weeks worth of stuff including camping gear. I have an 4" oversized windshield (6 ft even) and the wind protection is awesome - no buffetting due to the electric adjustability. Also put highway pegs on the stock crash bars and bought a Russell on ebay - 800 - 1000 mile days are "easy". I have not had a problem with heat (I ride mostly in the northeast) - sitting in traffic the fan comes on and it does get hot, but certainly not as bad as my buddy's 2000 Electra Glide.

I do almost all my own maintenance, pretty straitforward once you get the hang of it - some silly things like having to take the bodywork apart to change the air filter and taking the motronic out to replace the battery. Had the valves checked at 40 K and 85K more out of guilt than anything - no adjustment needed at 85K, which is pretty amazing. Every year I have the shop do 1 or 2 PM items - stearing head bearings last year, front wheel bearings the year before. I've never lubed the splines, changed the clutch, or touched the final drive other than fluid changes (I will at 100K just to be safe). It needs a good battery, however - if you leave your lights on and kill it, get a new one. It will not bump start and is not keen on running after a jump start (don't ask how I know this...). Been in 25 states and it has NEVER failed to get me home on time. I have made a bunch of other small changes - PM me if you buy it.
Attached Images

1993 K1100 LT (132,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T
CrashBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
Gernick OP
Beastly Adventurer

What have you folks done for the heat issue? I'm not terribly concerned about it since I really don't care for riding when its really hot out but I'm still curious. Its my northern blood. The colder the better.

I won't be using it as a daily rider. Its going to sit a bit. Probably use it for out of town shopping and really long rides. Maybe use it to take to work when its kinda cold out. That will probably affect the bias ply tires a bit won't it?

Dig that red by the way.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Compared to the ST1100?

Alright, but how does it compared to its contemporary, the Honda ST1100? Roughly the same size, weight, and power.
The main differences that come to mind is that the BMW has fuel injection and electric windshield. The LT is supposedly a "tourer", and the ST a "sport tourer", but in practice they seem about the same.
I haven't ridden either - I'm working my way up to riding bikes this size and weight.
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Anyone want to add anything else?

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
What have you folks done for the heat issue? I'm not terribly concerned about it since I really don't care for riding when its really hot out but I'm still curious. Its my northern blood. The colder the better.

I won't be using it as a daily rider. Its going to sit a bit. Probably use it for out of town shopping and really long rides. Maybe use it to take to work when its kinda cold out. That will probably affect the bias ply tires a bit won't it?

Dig that red by the way.
If it is going to sit a bit, don't forget a battery tender.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Gernick OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did. The battery still went to crap. Ah well. Time for a new one.

I'm also going to end up selling it this year. I really don't want to but I've got too much in the stable and I need to get a little ahead this year. Soooooo.

I know I'm going to regret doing that. I just know it.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Great bike. A lot lighter than a K1200LT!
Smooth and powerful tourer, it will run with the best. Typical K bike top heaviness but not a big deal. The electric windshield is fabulous.
The 4 valve engine will use a little oil between changes whereas the 2 valvers rarely did/do.
95 to 100 HP and 638 lbs and a gvw of 1100lbs.
Another advantage is bias ply tires. Better tire life and lower replacement costs. There are some radials, namely Avons, that will fit, but not a major difference in handling.
93 was first year of K1100LT. That year had the 450 W alternator and "some" customer complained about foot peg vibrations. 94 had the police 700w alternator upgrade and a rubber mount for the foot peg mounts. So 94 to 97 are pretty much the same. If you get a really good deal on a 93, don't fret. It's still a fantastic bike. 450 watts will run pretty much all your electrical needs if you ride solo.
K1100LT with low miles can be found for 5 grand or less. You won't be sorry.
Oil usage varies by bike, not by the number of valves. (I've owned 14 or so classic Ks of various types.)

Only a few of the early ones have tranny mounted pegs. Most 93s have rubber mounted pegs. My 93 was built in 10/92 and has rubber mounted pegs.

Easy peasy to upgrade the alternator on a 93.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
duck
Banned

You can add a layer of insulation under the tank and side panels to cut down on the heat. Or add some Baker Air Wings.

Windscreen is great. Get an aftermarket one(Parabellum, Cee Baileys, etc..) tailored to your height. I'm 6-2 and a +4 is perfect for me.

AWESOME bike for hauling ass without a helmet. That's the main thing I love about mine. (Flame suit on.)

Switch from bias ply tires to radials. (This is a must do unless you ride like a granny.) I run a K1100RS rear wheel so I can run Pilot Road 2s and it handles A TON better. I think only Avon makes a radial rear for the stock LT rear wheel. I ran Avon Azaro radials on the stock rims - even that was light years better than bias ply.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 5,327
The LT costs less than the RS.
Read over at K11Group forum. Good guys!
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
The LT costs less than the RS.
Read over at K11Group forum. Good guys!
Before it turned into a tea party.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Before it turned into a tea party.
Read old posts.
The info still stands.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Read old posts.
The info still stands.
I know. I posted most of it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
owrstrich
F O T G

Oddometer: 192
i posted about peeps easter candy and the royal wedding and that thread has gone 80 pages deep in a week...

j o
owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote