Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #196
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
I did a search and found this thread. Barring anything coming up in the next couple of days, I'm picking up a 2001 Gen1 with 66k miles for $1200 from a riding buddy who grew bored of it after getting a new Super Tenere.

It's mechanically in excellent condition but cosmetically needs some work.. new fairing, paint, and some TLC (polish, cleaning, etc), tires and some carb work. He put in an Ivan's kit and it hasn't run right since, so I'm going to tear everything apart and go back through it. That failing I will put a new rack of carbs on it. Both ends of the bike have been redone by Traxxion and he has both a Sargent and Bill Mayer seat for it that he's including, along with other spare parts and a service manual.

I rode it and except for a stutter (caused by the carbs), it runs really nice and is more comfortable than my 2010 Z1000 that I let go a few months ago. I'm looking forward to fixing it up real nice and doing some asphalt touring on it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #197
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I did a search and found this thread. Barring anything coming up in the next couple of days, I'm picking up a 2001 Gen1 with 66k miles for $1200 from a riding buddy who grew bored of it after getting a new Super Tenere.

It's mechanically in excellent condition but cosmetically needs some work.. new fairing, paint, and some TLC (polish, cleaning, etc), tires and some carb work. He put in an Ivan's kit and it hasn't run right since, so I'm going to tear everything apart and go back through it. That failing I will put a new rack of carbs on it. Both ends of the bike have been redone by Traxxion and he has both a Sargent and Bill Mayer seat for it that he's including, along with other spare parts and a service manual.

I rode it and except for a stutter (caused by the carbs), it runs really nice and is more comfortable than my 2010 Z1000 that I let go a few months ago. I'm looking forward to fixing it up real nice and doing some asphalt touring on it.

Rob
Congrats 66K is not too much for this bike.There are a few Gen1's with 200K on 'em

Try a bottle of seafoam in a fresh tank of gas. That may help clear up the carb issues before you start tearing it apart.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #198
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1 View Post
Try a bottle of seafoam in a fresh tank of gas. That may help clear up the carb issues before you start tearing it apart.
^ ^ ^ This.

Seafoam rocks! Cleared 90% of a stutter I had with my '05 FZ1...

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #199
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,160
yep 60K miles is not bad. mine is at 91K and like was said there's some over 200k

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #200
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:

Rob
PICS!!!
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #201
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
PICS!!!
Here's what I have so far...

Pickup date has been pushed to Friday or Saturday thanks to my employer not mailing my paycheck til today. Thought it was going out Friday, and it takes four days to get here. Downside of being 1099 and not full-time, but the money is better. :)

Rob
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #202
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
$1200! Holy crap that is sweet.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #203
Spoofy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
That is a sweet deal, congrats on the FZ.
Spoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #204
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

It's here!

It took a few days longer than planned, but it's here! I picked it up about an hour ago. The one photo I took of it in the garage didn't come out, but it looks the same as in the previous picture. Tuesday night I'll wash it, gas it and start cleaning it up. Wednesday I'll hit DMV and get it registered so I can ride it.

The first work will be to pull the carbs and go through them. It has an Ivan's Jet Kit in it but it isn't running quite right. Gotta figure that out.

Rob
Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #205
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
It took a few days longer than planned, but it's here! I picked it up about an hour ago. The one photo I took of it in the garage didn't come out, but it looks the same as in the previous picture. Tuesday night I'll wash it, gas it and start cleaning it up. Wednesday I'll hit DMV and get it registered so I can ride it.

The first work will be to pull the carbs and go through them. It has an Ivan's Jet Kit in it but it isn't running quite right. Gotta figure that out.

Rob
Congratulations Rob! First gen FZ1s are excellent bikes. My old '02 had an Ivans jet kit and Muzzy slip-on--man, what a ripper! If it wasn't for the fact that my knees were too bunched up on it, I'd still have it.
You need to post in this thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482885
Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #206
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Congratulations Rob! First gen FZ1s are excellent bikes. My old '02 had an Ivans jet kit and Muzzy slip-on--man, what a ripper! If it wasn't for the fact that my knees were too bunched up on it, I'd still have it.
You need to post in this thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482885
I had highway pegs on my '02 which helped my knees immensely. I didn't use them very often, but on long rides the ability to stretch every once in while was nice. I sold mine because I just couldn't get real comfortable on it. The first gens are fantastic bikes in all repects - handling, suspension, power, range, fuel economy, brakes, versatility. The bottom line for me though, is if I'm not comfortable, I'm not going to ride too far. If I only used the bike for rides less than 150 miles, I probably would still have it.

Ergos are such a personal thing. What works wonderfully for one, may be horrible for another. Hard to tell without riding the dam thing (whatever it is) for at least a couple of hundred miles.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #207
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post

I have buell pegs on my 05 fz1...make a huge difference. the stock pegs on the Gen 1 are not only too high but too forward. The buell dropped the peg by more than an inch but its the back 1 inch that made a huge difference

i have 34 inseam along with the highway pegs its a keeper. right now it has more leg room than a c14 or fjr.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #208
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
I'm kinda surprised by your comments/perceptions.
I rode my Gen1 with stock pegs for more than seven years and I never thought they were to high. On the contrary - after a while I mounted some smaller aluminium pegs to avoid scratching the tarmac in every second turn.
How tall are you guys? I'm just about 6ft.

I have to say, though, that I avoid this motorcycle nightmare called "highway" as much as possible. I'd rather take the small roads, even if it takes longer.

There also seems to be a general difference in, well, attitude(?) between US and European riders. In Europe most people tend to modify their bikes to make them more sporty, while in the US most mods are towards more comfort. Those windscreens and seats and bars you guys are mounting aren't even available in Europe mostly.

I personally didn't do too many mods on the Gen1 as it is a wonderful bike already in stock trim, but the first thing I did was mounting a wider superbike bar together with lower risers, lifting the rear 35mm and putting on a very small streetfighter windscreen. Those mods made the bike just perfect.
It is pretty much the opposite of what most people in the US do, though. Strange.

Anyway, at least everyone agrees that the Gen1 Fizzy is a gorgeous bike.
I crashed mine last year and am now looking for a new bike. I'm searching for a good offer on a Thunderace. Great bike, too. Maybe even a wee bit better than the Fizzy - for me.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #209
84blue
Its time to ride somethin

Oddometer: 440
I just completed a 3600 mile trip on my FZ1 and the ride report is here
Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #210
hoax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
but the first thing I did was mounting a wider superbike bar together with lower risers, lifting the rear 35mm and putting on a very small streetfighter windscreen. Those mods made the bike just perfect.
It is pretty much the opposite of what most people in the US do, though. Strange.
Other than raising the rear, that's pretty much what I did to mine. Also I ditched the antenna mirrors and went with some handlebar mounted ones.
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote