Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #421
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyboy View Post
I am struggling with the seat. Still hurting from a 700 mile weekend
I have a Sargent saddle and it's "all day every day" comfortable.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #422
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,767
Thot about the sargent
Dont like the looks of the corbin
Lot o money tho
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #423
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I have a Sargent saddle and it's "all day every day" comfortable.
Quote:
Thot about the sargent
Dont like the looks of the corbin
Lot o money tho
It was on the bike when I got it so someone else swallowed that pill.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #424
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
I am struggling with the seat. Still hurting from a 700 mile weekend
Go on the FZ1OA website. Send a PM to Dirt Road. He will take your stock seat and totally transform it for far less than a Corbin or Sargent will cost Most people see mine and assume it is a Sargent, and it feels much better than Corbin's that I have owned on other bikes, or Sargents I have tried. Can easily do multi-day, several hundred mile rides, and feel no discomfort at all.

He did my first gen seat, with silver piping and a textured cover, shipped to my door for a little bit over 200 dollars. Turn around time was 4 days, including shipping time from Marysville, Tn. to rural Northern Kentucky.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #425
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,767
Sweet!!!
I will contact him as soon as i see the bike agian‼️
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #426
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,605
Loving my 02 with just over 5500 on the odo. I use it about town and on the track until I can save enough nickels to purchase a S1000R. Here I am at Summit Point last Fall:

Even with my fat ass on the bike, I estimate I had the beast up to 153 on the straightway on NYST last fall.
Long Island BMW Riders Club- Click here for our website

RonkoRider screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 05:21 PM
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #427
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,222
They're fast. All the raving you hear about the new Wasser Boxer GS and the old Fizzy will hang right with her. I own both so don't tell me I'm mistaken
Carlo Muro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #428
ge_trojan
What did you expect?

Oddometer: 14
Will a FZ1 work for me?

Short history:

62 years old, started riding at 53
6'3, 290 lbs about a 32" inseam
First bike was a new BMW R1200GS (2005), sold at about 27000 miles
Second bike was a 2007 ST1300 really liked the bike, rode 12000 miles, then bought a new 2009 Goldwing. Really liked the bike, now have 40,000 on it.

I would rather get something more like the ST1300, although it doesn't have to be all that.

I have never had a bike that has had a chain, that's worries me some. Low maintenance and reliabe it what I like. I ride year round, no car, just use my wife's car on the weekend.

The Wing simply sits too low for me, my knees are higher than my hips. Think I would like to sell the Wing and get something like an FZ1. I don't travel as much as I used to, so mostly riding locally (Blue Ridge Parkway starts about 5 miles from my house.) I am not a really fast rider , but I do enjoy goosing it every now and then.

Is there any way I could fit comfortably on the bike? I have a dealer near Pittsburgh that will sell a 2013 for $7575, everything except my Virginia taxes and DMV fees.

What ya think?

George
ge_trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #429
Noswal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
The FZ1 is a great bike- I love mine.. but I'm wondering because of your history if the FJR might be a better choice.
No chain too.
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #430
ge_trojan
What did you expect?

well, thr FJR would be nice, but it's also about $6000 more (new) ......

That's a lot.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #431
ge_trojan
What did you expect?

I also got a price on a 2013 Honda CB1100 for 6994.

Definitely a different bike, but still nice.

George
Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #432
cccolin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge_trojan View Post
Short history:

Second bike was a 2007 ST1300 really liked the bike, rode 12000 miles, then bought a new 2009 Goldwing. Really liked the bike, now have 40,000 on it.

I would rather get something more like the ST1300, although it doesn't have to be all that.

I have never had a bike that has had a chain, that's worries me some. Low maintenance and reliabe it what I like. I ride year round, no car, just use my wife's car on the weekend.

The Wing simply sits too low for me, my knees are higher than my hips. Think I would like to sell the Wing and get something like an FZ1. I don't travel as much as I used to, so mostly riding locally (Blue Ridge Parkway starts about 5 miles from my house.) I am not a really fast rider , but I do enjoy goosing it every now and then.

Is there any way I could fit comfortably on the bike? I have a dealer near Pittsburgh that will sell a 2013 for $7575, everything except my Virginia taxes and DMV fees.

What ya think?

George
FZ was very comfortable for me. I'm around 6' and 210. it's a fucking fast bike, though, and it's so easy to haul ass that it's really hard to lay off the throttle. the throttle is very smooth, though, not snatchy, so if you have good throttle control you will be fine. just watch the speedo, it's a bike that feels like 70 at 100 or more.

the FZ is an exceptionally reliable bike. mine had 40k and ran like it was just out of the break in period. totally perfect, all the time, every time. never a single hitch. The guy I bought it from had the same experience. the guy I sold it to has had the same experience so far.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #433
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
George,

I think you will need to sit on the FZ1 to be sure. I say that because at 5'9 w/30" inseam (pants) I find at times I wish my knees were not as bent as they are on the bike. My bike is in the shop right now or I would go out and check to see how high my knees are compared to my hips.

I had a FJR awhile back and it was more comfortable on my knees. I liked everything about that bike except the weight (~150 lbs more than the FZ1) and was always worried I was going to drop it when moving/pushing it around.

I've only ridden an older Wing (1200cc) but I don't remember there being any issues. Maybe all you need for the Wing is a taller seat.

With all that said, I really like my FZ1. It has more power than I will ever need, is a lot of fun on twisty mtn roads, and with full Givi luggage I think of it as a mini-FJR. And I think a set of lower pegs will take care of my knee issues on longer rides.

Have you see this site…

Cycle Ergonomics
http://cycle-ergo.com

You can plug-in different bikes to see how you will fit on them. I have found it to be very accurate. You can make adjustments to bars, seats, and pegs to see how it changes your riding position.

Jon…
Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #434
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge_trojan View Post
Short history:

What ya think?

George
I have a Gen II FZ1 and I'd bet that the Gen I is more roomy for a bigger guy. Having said that have you considered the KTM 950 SM? Otherwise you could invest in adjustable footpegs to try and find the ideal setting for you, also you could have the seat redone with more foam to gain another inch of height.
SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #435
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
………….. it's a fucking fast bike, though, and it's so easy to haul ass that it's really hard to lay off the throttle. the throttle is very smooth, though, not snatchy, so if you have good throttle control you will be fine. just watch the speedo, it's a bike that feels like 70 at 100 or more……
That's a good point. Although there are faster bikes out there it is a VERY fast bike! Although I have run the motor over 8K RPM a few times I had never tried it in 1st or 2nd gear.

So just for fun I did a aggressive roll on to full throttle a couple weeks ago in 2nd gear and when it passed 8-9K RPM it was like a monster. The last vehicle I was in that reacted like that had a Nitrous bottle in the trunk

At 60 years old I've driven/raced a lot of really fast cars over the years and been riding for 40+ years but the FZ1 still caught me completely off guard and I had to shut it down.

Needless to say I've gained a lot of respect for the bike and those of you that routinely push the FZ1 a lot harder than I ever will

Jon…