My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #62
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
Every test I've seen says the FZ1 feels really week until you get to the top end....I don't particulaly want to have to scream the engine before you get some thrust...

That said it is a nice looking bike.
Same here, though I've never ridden one. I had read similar reviews of the FZ6 before trying one. If the nature of the power curve of the FZ1 is anything similar to the FZ6, I'd pass. I found that one (FZ6)to be soft at the bottom and yet still snatchy, with all the power wedged up top. Great power at top end but inconsistent with what was on tap at the bottom, almost 2T like. Rest of bike was very polished; good gear, nice brakes, great off-the-shelf suspension but engine was ill suited to a light touring/ commuting stead imho. I really wanted to like that bike (FZ6) and even found a couple of low mileage 08's in my area for $4-5K. I'd cough up the extra dough for an F800 any day of the week if it were to be an only bike. Now if only suzuki could make an SV as refined as an FZ6. Hopefully the FZ8 will be the answer if Yamaha, this time delivers on the new mill with more useable/tractable power instead of usual outright numbers.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #63
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

A little research revealed that the FZ8 has a 6% gain in hp vs a whopping 50% gain in torque over the FZ6. These figures alone perhaps explain Yamaha's FZ8's raison d'etre and should certainly address any perceived shortcomings with respect to the FZ6 package.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #64
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
Nice shot...

Thanks. That was taken by the roadside photographers on the second to last leg of the Twisty Butt ride I did at the end of March.

Going to ride the Dragon this weekend for the first time and go to my first motorcycle race!!

It might be because I have the 1st Gen, but I don't think the bike is sluggish down low. It really wakes up once you get the revs up, that's true, but I can comfortably cruise around legally at 5k in top gear.

Of course, around 7.5 or 8k is when the afterburners kick in.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #65
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
If the nature of the power curve of the FZ1 is anything similar to the FZ6, I'd pass. I found that one (FZ6)to be soft at the bottom and yet still snatchy, with all the power wedged up top. Great power at top end but inconsistent with what was on tap at the bottom, almost 2T like. Rest of bike was very polished; good gear, nice brakes, great off-the-shelf suspension but engine was ill suited to a light touring/ commuting stead imho. I really wanted to like that bike (FZ6) and even found a couple of low mileage 08's in my area for $4-5K. I'd cough up the extra dough for an F800 any day of the week if it were to be an only bike. Now if only suzuki could make an SV as refined as an FZ6. Hopefully the FZ8 will be the answer if Yamaha, this time delivers on the new mill with more useable/tractable power instead of usual outright numbers.
The FZ6 is not even in the same ballpark as the FZ1.

The FZ1 is for people who aren't afraid to open up the throttle, and who don't want the usual extreme watering down of a sportbike engine when it's bolted into a standard-style bike frame. Haven't we had enough of those?!

If you're afraid to open the throttle, and all you want is low-end torque and no horsepower, buy a Harley. If you want a comfortable and versatile bike, with an older generation R1 engine that hasn't been completely castrated, during the transformation, buy an FZ1.

Just to give you an idea of how the FZ1 stacks up next to one of the gruntiest bikes on the planet (The Suzuki Bandit 1250S, like my buddy's), which is a great bike, too...

If my buddy with the Bandit and I are side by side on the highway, in top gear, at 70 mph, and we both crack the throttle WOT at the same time...

The Bandit leaps about six or seven bike lengths ahead of the FZ1, and then it's all over for Mista Bandito, as the FZ1 launches past the Bandit like a rocket and leaves it quickly fading out of view in the mirrors.

I owned a Vmax for three years, so I understand well that low-end grunt is wonderful stuff, but not when most bikes that have it run out of breath like an overweight WWF star with a hangover.

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 05:42 AM
Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #66
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Cool2 changes

The Generation One FZ lets you spend so much time in top gear you can forget to shift down before stops.
The Ivans carb kit wakes it up.
The Generation Two is notorious for poor bottom among people coming off torqueier bikes.
Ivan or Dale have help there.
Please visit FZ1OA site for more than you want to know.
Gen Ones benefit from a respring, shock damping upgrade (see Traxxion).
A lot of fun.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #67
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

The rigid and light alloy Gen II frame alone, is worth the upgrade.

I've ridden both, and although I like the Gen I too, they flop around like a dead fish, compared to the Gen II.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #68
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

The FZ1 is for people who aren't afraid to open up the throttle, and who don't want the usual extreme watering down of a sportbike engine when it's bolted into a standard-style bike frame. Haven't we had enough of those?!

If you're afraid to open the throttle, and all you want is low-end torque and no horsepower, buy a Harley. If you want a comfortable and versatile bike, with an older generation R1 engine that hasn't been completely castrated, during the transformation, buy an FZ1.

Just to give you an idea of how the FZ1 stacks up next to one of the gruntiest bikes on the planet (The Suzuki Bandit 1250S, like my buddy's), which is a great bike, too...

If my buddy with the Bandit and I are side by side on the highway, in top gear, at 70 mph, and we both crack the throttle WOT at the same time...

The Bandit leaps about six or seven bike lengths ahead of the FZ1, and then it's all over for Mista Bandito, as the FZ1 launches past the Bandit like a rocket and leaves it quickly fading out of view in the mirrors.

I owned a Vmax for three years, so I understand well that low-end grunt is wonderful stuff, but not when most bikes that have it run out of breath like an overweight WWF star with a hangover.

Reading skills anyone?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #69
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,709
Quote:
The rigid and light alloy Gen II frame alone, is worth the upgrade.

I've ridden both, and although I like the Gen I too, they flop around like a dead fish, compared to the Gen II.
The 1st gen FZ1 needs some tweaks to be sure....rear shock, front springs (the valving on the front is fine, the rear is pretty rudimentary) and the buffeting from the mirrors is bad, but other than that and the seat does the bike have any real weaknesses? I mean it is literally gas and go, will power wheelie in 3 gears, corners on rails, can tour 2-up with luggage and it more bulletproof than any bike on the road.

PLUS they can be had for a song! There are a few <30k mileage examples of Gen1s for sale in the FM for <3500 bucks!

What bike can compete with what the FZ1 can do at the price you can get one for?
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #70
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Reading skills anyone?

I read this...
Quote:
If the nature of the power curve of the FZ1 is anything similar to the FZ6, I'd pass.
And I replied with this...
Quote:

What's your problem?!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #71
Beta
Barton Churchill

Oddometer: 130
I bought an 07 new. I loved the bike for fast riding, even coming off an r6. The engine is fantastic, handling is good, brakes excellent, inspires confidence in most situations. i sold it to buy a ring, big mistake as I don't have it any more either. Anyway ivan's stuff is very good. It nearly eliminated the snatch. An exhaust and pc 3 really woke the bike up and made it feel about as fast as the old r6. The single most important upgrade i added was the hyperpro steering damper. The bike would often lift in forth gear pulls coming out of corners or worse passing cars and this or just a light front wheel on uneven pavement can set off major head shake. Once I was fully committed, leaned over at ~ 70 only to see old, not quite paved over railroad tracks across the road. Both wheels skipped, why the bike didn't highside i don't know but both wheels caught and most importantly the front was stilll pointed in the right direction. That steering dampner saved my ass more times than I care to remember. Going one size narrorer in the rear improves tip in and overall handling quite a bit. Ultimately the bike didn't work for me. The seat sucked and so did the corbin. the pegs were a little high for me for long trips and scraped on short trips. Gas mileage was awful and range was worse. My other bike is a 640a and funny enough that's the machine I always lust after in the garage.
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #72
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The 1st gen FZ1 needs some tweaks to be sure....rear shock, front springs (the valving on the front is fine, the rear is pretty rudimentary) and the buffeting from the mirrors is bad, but other than that and the seat does the bike have any real weaknesses? I mean it is literally gas and go, will power wheelie in 3 gears, corners on rails, can tour 2-up with luggage and it more bulletproof than any bike on the road.

PLUS they can be had for a song! There are a few <30k mileage examples of Gen1s for sale in the FM for <3500 bucks!

What bike can compete with what the FZ1 can do at the price you can get one for?
I almost bought a used Gen I off one of my buddies, until I found a barely used (1400 miles) Gen II at a savings of $4,000 off what a spanker would have cost me.

I think the Gen II is better than the Gen I, but not by a huge margin by any means. As a matter of fact, the Gen I was such a good bike, I think Yamaha had a hard time making a better version. And the first run of Gen IIs in 2006/2007 had a lot of problems with snatchy FI and even a few cracked frame welds. Fortunately Yamaha fixed both issues, and the 08, 09, and 10 bikes seem completely problem-free.

Hard to beat the Gen I FZ1 as the ultimate used 1000 cc standard, and hard to beat the Gen II as the ultimate new 1000 cc standard. That's the way I look at the old and the new versions.

Quote:
Gas mileage was awful and range was worse.
There's one downside I have to agree with.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #73
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

You can't pick and choose my comments to now suit your context (but no doubt you will). I did not suggest the power curve of the FZ6 matched the FZ1 in specific numbers
What I said was, that if 'the nature' of the power curve was similar to the FZ6, as in having top heavy numbers, I was not interested. This however prompted you to bring into question the testicular fortitude of any who would want for a more balanced serving of power. I specifically commended the FZ6 for its top end performance; "Great power at top end..." (do I need to say here, relative to its competitors, or are we good?) yet you chose to ignore this and instead suggest I might be in need of a Harley. How clever.
Very pretty pictures btw

GuinnesS screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 12:35 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #74
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can't pick and choose my comments to now suit your context (but no doubt you will). I did not suggest the power curve of the FZ6 matched the FZ1 in specific numbers
What I said was, that if the 'the nature' of the power curve was similar to the FZ6, as in having top heavy numbers, I was not interested. This however prompted you to bring into question the testicular fortitude of any who would want for a more balanced serving of power. I specifically commended the FZ6 for its top end performance; "Great power at top end..." (do I need to say here, relative to its competitors, or are we good?) yet you chose to ignore this and instead suggest I might be in need of a Harley. How clever.
Very pretty pictures btw

It was your comment about the 'nature' of the power curve which I was responding to, but I think you may have missed that...

And that's where the FZ1 is in a very different league compared to the FZ6, as I suggested, and all out numbers aside. But to help clarify, for your benefit...

The FZ6 really has nothing but top end, but the FZ1 does have a very strong midrange punch as well as gobs of top end, although it may not be as strong on the bottom as a Bandit 1250S, for example. I think Yamaha has recognized that the FZ6 was kind of a mistake, and that the FZ8 will make a much better smaller displacement sibling to the FZ1.

I thought you might be interested in the opinion of someone who has ridden both the FZ6 and the FZ1 back to back. If not, so beit.

The rest of my comments, about the Bandit and comparing a Harley's power curve to the FZ1's, was an expansion of that post, just because the FZ1 is almost like an un-Harley in every way, including the power curve. And for some people, that's a very good thing.

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 02:22 PM
Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #75
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,709
Quote:
I almost bought a used Gen I off one of my buddies, until I found a barely used (1400 miles) Gen II at a savings of $4,000 off what a spanker would have cost me.

I think the Gen II is better than the Gen I, but not by a huge margin by any means. As a matter of fact, the Gen I was such a good bike, I think Yamaha had a hard time making a better version. And the first run of Gen IIs in 2006/2007 had a lot of problems with snatchy FI and even a few cracked frame welds. Fortunately Yamaha fixed both issues, and the 08, 09, and 10 bikes seem completely problem-free.

Hard to beat the Gen I FZ1 as the ultimate used 1000 cc standard, and hard to beat the Gen II as the ultimate new 1000 cc standard. That's the way I look at the old and the new versions.

There's one downside I have to agree with.
Well stated. I agree that I wish the bike had longer legs.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote