Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #76
hoax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
It was your comment about the 'nature' of the power curve which I was responding to, but I think you may have missed that...

And that's where the FZ1 is in a very different league compared to the FZ6, as I suggested, and all out numbers aside. But to help clarify, for your benefit...

The FZ6 really has nothing but top end, but the FZ1 does have a very strong midrange punch as well as gobs of top end, although it may not be as strong on the bottom as a Bandit 1250S, for example. I think Yamaha has recognized that the FZ6 was kind of a mistake, and that the FZ8 will make a much better smaller displacement sibling to the FZ1.

I thought you might be interested in the opinion of someone who has ridden both the FZ6 and the FZ1 back to back. If not, so beit.

The rest of my comments, about the Bandit and comparing a Harley's power curve to the FZ1's, was an expansion of that post, just because the FZ1 is almost like an un-Harley in every way, including the power curve. And for some people, that's a very good thing.

Ditto. FZ6 motor feels pretty weak when you aren't revving the piss out of it. FZ1 will easily push you back into the seat at any RPM (especially after rejetting). Sure it may not match the torque monsters like the Bandit or ZRX but in the real world it's not a big deal.

Personally, I'd never get an FZ6. The lack of usable power is a deal breaker. If getting a 600cc class standard I'd go with a twin like the Suzuki SV or Kawi 650R.

hoax screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 02:56 PM
hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #77
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Personally, I'd never get an FZ6. The lack of usable power is a deal breaker. If getting a 600cc class standard I'd go with a twin like the Suzuki SV or Kawi 650R
Agreed...

The SV and the twin Ninja are lovely mid-rangey little engines.

A friend of mine, who's an expert off road rider, bought an FZ6 as his first streetbike. It was in the local for sale ads within just a few months. He wasn't looking for all out numbers, but figured the FZ6 might at least have the same 'type' of power curve characteristics that the FZ1 has. Needless to say, he was very disappointed...

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #78
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
i have a 2002 fz1 that i bought new.i jetted with ivan's kit for full exhaust even though i only have a yosh slip-on.went -1 on front sprocket.bike dynoed at 130hp.no problems except for back tire appitite.bike has 21k mies and oem chain is still running very smooth.just oil changes,tires and a battery.bought the yamaha extended warrenty -the bike has never been back to a dealer ever.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #79
Camcow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Since I've got an '06 Gen II, I'll chime in:

Pros:
- Great power, all through the rpm range. The bike is a rocketship and begs to punish left lane hogs
- Decent arm/shoulder ergos
- Very nice handling. Just point and shoot
- Gen II is a looker. I love the black engine/frame/swingarm. I see it and I want to go for a ride right now
- The engine seems pretty bulletproof and valve intervals are 26k
- You can find low mileage used ones at bargain prices if you search around

Cons:
- My 40 yr old knees cramp up a bit after a few hours. The knee room was much better on the Gen I
- Suspension is only decent. First $1000 I'd spend on upgrades would be there. Suffers from too much high speed compression damping and too stiff springs
- Tank range is limited. I'll run 160 miles on mine with 25 in reserve (that's right to dry - I've coasted into a gas station at 185)
- The gas tank while sexy is all curves and hard to get a good size tank bag on. It's also slippery and hard to get a grip on when really leaning hard. (Gonna try some ?stompads? this summer)

If I had it to do over and a little more ready cash, I would have gone for a Multistrada. Not quite a rocketship and the front end is just plain...well, let's say the bike's got a great personality ;) However, the handling is peerless, it has a better range, and the legroom is great even for 6 footers. Plus you'll probably find a lot of 1100's at bargain basement prices once the 1200 is out.

Tom
Camcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #80
CWaATWannabe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
DRZ400 -

Each bike you listed has a drastically different engine. They make power in very different ways. First, let's talk torque. The FZ6 makes 46.5-lb/ft at 10,000rpm; The 650r makes 48.5 at 7,000rpm; The sv650 makes 47.2 at 7,500. Basically, all make an equal amount of torque, though the FZ6 is at a slight disadvantage because the I4 needs more revolutions to build the power.

Now let's talk hp. The FZ6 makes 98 at 12,000rpm. The 650r makes 71 at 8,500rpm. The SV makes 73 at 9,000rpm. Here, the FZ6 has a MAJOR advantage.

What does this add up to? If you're looking to drag race, the FZ6 is going to lose (you might win, but you'll burn up your clutch). If you're looking for a canyon carver, the FZ6 wins hands down. If you're looking for an ST bike, then it just depends on what kind of rider you are. There is no clear winner. However, if your friend is used to dirt bike thumpers, then moving to a high-revving 600 might be a difficult transition.

Now, can we compare the FZ6 to an FZ1? No, not really. They are similar in many ways. They both have relatively relaxed ergonomics. They're both based on Yamaha's I4 sport bike engines. They're both half-faired. Other than that, they're totally different animals. They even have a different number of valves! And really, when's the last time you pitted a 600 versus a 1000??? Bikes are like boxing - there are different classes for a reason.

Let me finish by saying that I own a 2007 FZ6. I did my homework before buying it, with extensive comparisons to the sv and the 650r. I do not regret my decision at all. That said, the suzi and kawi are both very good bikes. They're just different. Personally, I love 600s. I don't think there's any better sound than that little engine spinning up towards 14,000rpm.

I'll also say that I tour on my FZ. The two guys I do most of my touring with ride a Sprint ST and A Concourse 1400. They pull away in the straights, but I keep up just fine in the twisties. As for the FZ1. . . . it'll manage the big STs just fine. All it needs is a set of Givis.
CWaATWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #81
cardingtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
FZ1 is one good looking bike.
cardingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #82
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Is anyone member over on the r1-forum.com? I have a message for one of the members if you don't mind relaying.. the registration is taking way too long..
Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #83
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,654
I want one the 2003 FZ1 yellow and black combo's real bad.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #84
oomis
What's a noob?

Oddometer: 176
I went from a DL650 to an FZ1 and just recently bought a DL1000. Last year I put over 25,000 kms on my FZ1 for a total of almost 4 weeks on the road. Toronto - Colorado and Utah and back. Toronto - Halifax - Toronto. Toronto - Vermont - Toronto.

For the record, the trip to Colorado was for an ADV rally. I was very much the odd man out. GS, GS, KLR, some sort of dirtbike, a bike so dirty I don't even know what it is, a V-strom, etc. etc. and then me. Cool people. Weird vibe. A dude fell in the fire, and the Texans fought over a spit-roasted pig. Good times. Strange, a but surreal, but good.

If my inseam was 3" less, I'd never have had a reason to buy the v-strom. I love my FZ, and what I love especially about it is how cheap it is to get an extra 20 hp out of the bike. Well-modded with a good map, it's pushing close to 145 at the rear wheel.

It's a brilliant sleeper bike, a pretty damned good tourer, easy to work on, cheap to fix with a great online community supporting it.

Gen 1's are pretty awesome too. Yamaha got it right with this one. And if they put the crossplane engine in the next get - ooh, I'm getting shivers.
oomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #85
Ryan#576
n00b

Oddometer: 5
@ oomis , thats cool bro..
Ryan#576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #86
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I want one the 2003 FZ1 yellow and black combo's real bad.
Can come and take mine for a ride anytime Scott.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #87
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,605
Anyone have the red and white 2009 one around here?

I'd love to see it...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #88
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
I'm working on near ten years now with my Gen 1 bike. Yikes! I still feel hard pressed to find anything obvious to replace it with.
The way things are going...maybe I'll check out the Gen 3 FZ1 when it comes!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #89
BWJ
ninja lurker

Oddometer: 85
I love my 1st Gen FZ1. It is very versatile and perfect if you only own one bike. I use it daily as a commuter and have installed Givi side bags. I have taken it on the track, and use it for spirited weekend rides. Pretty much a perfect ride IMO.
BWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #90
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Can come and take mine for a ride anytime Scott.
that thought has crossed my mind. I'm keeping an eye on EBay and a "gen1" FZ1 is aout the only bike I see stroking the check book for for any significant amount of money. I would really like to ride one before I buy. thanks for the offer. I saw a yellow/black one go by the other day I knew that was the one I need to find.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote