Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #106
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
I own a 2003 fz1 which I have been riding since 2004. Ive racked up 45k on the odometer riding in all types of scenarios. Ive had about 24 bikes over the years and this is hands down the best ALL ROUND motorcycle ever built..IMO! You can drag the pegs, run 10 second quarter miles or two up tour for days at a time(my favorite). I have Nelson-Rigg soft panniers and a tank bag for storage. They DO eat rear tires and chains wear fast too.....but thats how it works on 1000cc bike. Ive also tried many setups with windscreens, tires, gearing and luggage so I can help anyone with questions. The ZG double bubble takes away the buffeting, which I have for sport and summer riding, but the Rifle 21" is the best touring screen because it puts the air above eye level. These bikes are very versatile and have very proven engine. I ride with a pillion alot niow and every month we take a 3 day trip to the Tx Hill Country doing 400 mile days with no problem at all. Attachment 261378
I agree on all counts, if they would have just converted this same bike to EFI & left everything else as-is, I would have never considered anything else. Power, torque, mpg, comfort, handling check check check....
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #107
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Yup, they should have kept it like that...Maybe minor updates but that's it...That bike was pretty comfy.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #108
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Personally I like the Delta box frame MUCH more than the tube frame.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #109
brokenblinker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I find that the first gen looks very old and dated. I also find that the people that disagree with that statement are generally relatively old and dated people
brokenblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #110
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Personally I like the Delta box frame MUCH more than the tube frame.
Ok they could have updated that as well
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #111
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenblinker View Post
I find that the first gen looks very old and dated. I also find that the people that disagree with that statement are generally relatively old and dated people
I'm 26 and I love the way my first gen
crotch rocket couch rocket looks! The naked tube frame is one of the things that sold me on it. Granfted, the second gen looks great too.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #112
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
I own a 2003 fz1 which I have been riding since 2004. Ive racked up 45k on the odometer riding in all types of scenarios. Ive had about 24 bikes over the years and this is hands down the best ALL ROUND motorcycle ever built..IMO! You can drag the pegs, run 10 second quarter miles or two up tour for days at a time(my favorite). I have Nelson-Rigg soft panniers and a tank bag for storage. They DO eat rear tires and chains wear fast too.....but thats how it works on 1000cc bike. Ive also tried many setups with windscreens, tires, gearing and luggage so I can help anyone with questions. The ZG double bubble takes away the buffeting, which I have for sport and summer riding, but the Rifle 21" is the best touring screen because it puts the air above eye level. These bikes are very versatile and have very proven engine. I ride with a pillion alot niow and every month we take a 3 day trip to the Tx Hill Country doing 400 mile days with no problem at all. Attachment 261378
I do also agree on almost everything you say there!
BUT: My rear tires usually last up to 20tkm - and I live in Switzerland, that means turn after turn after turn after.... plus 140km commuting every day, at least half of it on the highway. So i cannot agree on your tire wear issues.
My chain kits did last 30 and 40tkm, respectively. IMHO that is far from wearing fast...
Last point - for me the streetfighter windscreen works best for all purposes. It puts the air on my chest, so that I can still feel it but the head stays relatively calm. Perfect. And it looks just great.

1st gen Fizzy just rules.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #113
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
i have a 2002 with 22k miles.bike has a yosh slip-on,ivans full exhaust system jet kit,-1 front sprocket.i bought the bike new and did the mods at 500 miles.bike dynos at 130rwhp.with the amount of ethanol in cali gas i feel the the jetting is correct.bike runs like it has efi.only work i do on it is oil changes and tires.it usually needs a rear tire every 5000 miles.oem chain and sprockets still work fine.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #114
John2003GSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
FZ1 Set up for 2011 Alaska ride.

Here's a few photo's of my 05 FZ1 set up for touring to AK and back.
Attached Images

John2003GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #115
John2003GSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
FZ1 Set up for 2011 Alaska ride.

1. GIVI hard bag mounts, three each.
2. Front and Rear fender extenders.
3. Handle bar risers, 2”.
4. GPS mount.
5. Heated Grips.
6. Hwy Pegs.
7. Passenger foot peg repositioning.
8. Custom higher windscreen.
9. Lower mirror mod.
10. Not seen: Bark-buster hand protectors, will carry an use if necessary.
11. Fuse panel under seat, ignition relay actuated fuse panel to power; Grips, GPS, 12volt Power outlet, and Comm.’s charger.
Attached Images

John2003GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #116
spaiduhz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephous View Post
I hit a deer last fall with my '02 FZ1 at about 60mph. Surgery was performed over the winter with my fizzy going from this...

...to this.

That a double h4 bulb setup? Very nice! I might put a manner of cowling to cover the meter.

I am guessing you might miss the fairing when you are in excess of 100MPH though.
spaiduhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #117
spaiduhz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenblinker View Post
Eh. I agree somewhat, but i didnt think too much on aesthetics of the bike. It just have all that i need in a bike.

Easy to maintain. Good torque. Cheap. Easier sitting posture. Doesnt look wierd with cases installed. Decent controls. Decent fuel economy. 5.5 gallon tank. Big plushy seats for rider and pillion. Whats not to like?

Maybe the lack of inverted forks, carbs instead of an FI.

Of course, its your choice. The gen1 is a good all rounder, albeit a little gentler than the gen2. YMMV.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #118
Bocephous
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaiduhz View Post
That a double h4 bulb setup? Very nice! I might put a manner of cowling to cover the meter.

I am guessing you might miss the fairing when you are in excess of 100MPH though.
There is an H4 bulb in each headlight. I commute home in the dark so being able to see well at night is a priority and these light the night well. The speedo/tach gauge is (so far) impervious to weather and I have ridden through some pretty strong storms.

I rarely exceed 100mph so it really isn't a factor for me. There is actually FAR less turbulence and noise than there was before with the 1/2 fairing and mirrors. It's my second first gen FZ1, my daily commuter, and I love it.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Bocephous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #119
spaiduhz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hello guys. Anyone used these tires before?

When I first got my bike, I had an exup problem, leading me to have a top speed not exceeding 120mph. This was solved, and i hit speeds in excess of 150mph.

Feeling pleased somewhat, i replaced the worn bridgestone bt016 tires with shinko advance 005 tires, and didnt play around with the top speed.

Until recently, i noticed i had some trouble keeping up with a suzuki bandits 1250.

Ive been told that the shinko advance tires tend cause the bike to lose some top speed, but to lose 20mph? Really?

Now if the tires really did chew up 20mph, i could deal with it as i am petty happy with its performance in other aspects. It does ok in the wet, you can coax it to lean into corners, and its frigging cheap to boot.

Is it safe for me to blame the tires, before I RMWL? Or is there something else I need to look into?
Tires are shinko advance 005 sport radials. Your thoughts?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #120
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,453
THIS BIKE IS FOR SALE...or trade

Quote:
I believe Whittrated03 now has this 03 FZ on the market. He's needing something with more suspension travel but still comfy. Am I right Phillip??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote