User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Eh? Firetruck? What bloody Firetruck?

Alright, Im not real good at this but here goes.

I live in Seattle, which has a one way system downtown where the buses rule the road, stopping and going without notice. I am riding my worked over 05 Buell xb12, 2nd gear 35ish up Bell street if memory serves. Four lanes one way, far left lane and far right lane blocked just before an intersection by buses. I have a green light so I'm rollin'.

Coming from the left is an 18 ton firetruck with the berries and cherries goin but no siren. At this point Im on the brakes...Went a little like this in my head.

"Shit, shhhiiitttt, sweet Im totally going to stop in time, shit, shit SHIT, SSSHHHIIITTT."

I t-bone the Big Red and slide under the back wheels, pavement, leg, Buell, Bloody Firetruck, in that order bottom to top, Big Red keeps on rolling.

I get up and hobble me and my bike to the curb, this takes a bit of effort, at this point at least 30 people come out of the surrounding buildings...

"Are you alright? We saw the whole thing!! Can we do anything for you?"

Yak yak yak, this goes on for a wee spell as I am getting out of my gear to assess the damages. Finally, I say...

"Yes, can someone please get the FUCKING PLATE NUMBER FROM THAT FUCKING FUCKER FUCK THAT JUST FUCKING RAN ME THE FUCK OVER!"

Now Seattle is a tad over politically correct, so I didnt win any points with the crowd at that point, but I was more that a little put out. A fella comes over and offers me a smoke, I take it and sit an chill, pondering my next move.

About 5 minutes go by and a cop with a paramedic shows up...

"we're lookin for the fella run over by the Fire Unit"

Me "Yeah over here"

Them "Ok where is he?"

Me "Right here."

Them "Where?"

Me, big sigh "Hey ass bag, do you see me holding hands with anyone? I was the unfortunate!"

Them "Sir, calm down we are here to help."

Me "Calm down? You want me to what? I think I'm a fucking cat in the sun I so calm, Im an Oak!"

Cop "Okay, look we are going to put you in slot one for the accident report.."

Me "Wait what the fuck is slot one?"

Cop "Stop swearing, slot one is person at fault, but you didnt run, and it appeared to be an accident so we are'nt giving you a ticket..."

Me...rage..."Sweet this really is my lucky day, I get run over by a firetruck not wailing its sirens, and I dont get a ticket? Man thats really fuckin cool of you, thanks, really, yer great!"

Cop "Sir, really need you to stop swearing. You are fine, bike...looks ok, you need to just let this one go."

Me "Gosh, thanks, will do."

The following day my girlfriend made me go to my Doc, ended up with some busted ribs and my leg was broken, and my ankle was crunched up pretty good. On a good note it was the first night she let me spend the night at her place, I guess she felt sorry for me when I finally arrived.

So 6 weeks passed and I get this envelope in the mail, Fire department symbol on the front, I open it up and it has a little self stick eject button in it. No note, nothing but the sticky button...funny bastards. :-l
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanout
So 6 weeks passed and I get this envelope in the mail, Fire department symbol on the front, I open it up and it has a little self stick eject button in it. No note, nothing but the sticky button...funny bastards. :-l
Nice! If you are not going to use it, can I have it?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,756
Don't know the laws in WA, but around here emergency vehicles and even LEO's cannot blow through a red light without first insuring that they are not endangering other motorists who might have the right of way.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Make sure you send Seattle a notice that you intend to sue. Even if you aren't. I don't know Washington's laws but it's highly likely that if they went through a red without sirens they might be liable.

Damn glad you still have that leg!

Hmmm, wonder if fire vehicles have an exception for "fleeing the scene of an accident......"
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
As a firefighter/paramedic in NJ I 'll say this. In NJ at any time the lights are on, the siren MUST be on in order to be in compliance with all vehicle laws. In practice does it happen? No, just through intersections is the siren on, especially when the light you are going through is red. You can also bet your bottom dollar if we are in a collision we'll stop as in NJ any accident involving an emergency vehicle going against a traffic control device/crossing a traffic line is automatically at fault, regardless of lights/sirens being utilized even if the other driver did something totally stupid. It's ridiculous, hypothetically we are going down the road, lights and sirens on, you are supposed to yield, you don't so we collide. We're at fault and receive no summons, yet you get a summons for "failure to yield to an emergency vehicle" but aren't at fault. Ridiculous. Leaving the scene of an accident can be punishable by jail sentence I believe, so we always stop.

As far as the eject button, well, welcome to firehouse humor We had a guy spill his coffee in his crotch and burned himself pretty badly. One of the guys moonlighted at UPS, so we had him dress up in his UPS uniform and show up at the ER and said to the guy who burned himself "Yes, I'm here from UPS and we're here to inspect the package"

Glad to hear you're on the mend, heal fast and be safe!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Yeah, they are ment to have the works lit up, my recolection and the crowds recolection was they did not have sirens. But as the cop pointed out, "I need to let this go." This is not subtle. There is no way I would sue a cop, fireman, military, or minor. I do understand they didnt know this as they were circling their wagons, but wow! the reaction and the strong arm tactics. This being said, the eject button is on my Buell, and I need to recover it, and I am the proud owner of a 04 nine-fiddy. Button is karma, so its fully transferable.

Here's to swimmin' with bow leggid' women!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
amr2ul
Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer: 294
Aqua,

Find yourself a nice predatory ambulance chaser and sue the bloody hell out of everybody in sight! I'm deadly serious. The firefighters in that truck represent the city, who has pockets so deep that they cannot see the bottom of them. Get some shyster and make him a wealthy man, or woman!
Diver
Check out my novel, DEFENDER, a Kindle e-book, www.Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z1U7UI
amr2ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
I agree with the suggestions to talk to a lawyer. It is absolutely ridiculous that you were run over by an emergency vehicle and they did not stop, they had no way of knowing if you were critically injured or not. That is gross negligence IMO, not to mention leaving the scene of an accident is a felony in most parts.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Goddamn you're a nice guy...
Can I have my way with your sister ?
How about your girlfriend ?
You certainly don't have a problem letting the city screw you ...

The city is responsible for your injuries, Even though they "told" you to step away that's just another tactic to cover their asses....I'd have been screaming for a lawyer at the scene...

An emergency vehicle cannot leave the scene of an accident...That's felony hit and run...

Get an attorney and get as much money as you can. You'll need it in ten or fifteen years when the injuries turn into constant pain...
That sticker was the fire department's way of laughing in your face...

DAMHIK

I have permanent numbness in my right hand due to a wreck 16 years ago..

I didn't start having problems till a few years ago...Thought I was fine for ten years...

Sorry about the sister and girlfriend remarks but damn you need to wake up..

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Aqua

.....and dive between their legs. It's so inviting .........

Seriously,
Glad to see you're not a pancake, hope you tossed the skivies you were wearing that day.

WA Vehicle code: Note that this is from a commercial website but CA law reads pretty much the same. Lights AND MF siren and the thump you just heard was a bad thing. Maybe they'll come up with a braille siren?

Quote:
RCW 46.61.210

Operation of vehicles on approach of emergency vehicles.

(1) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.190, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(2) This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

Don't know what you do for a living but, if you wanted to become a firefighter you would fit right in with the same sense of humor. Then maybe you could send out the stickers!
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
I forgot that part, "due regard", that is drilled into our heads. The operator and officer of that vehicle forgot that part of when they blew through that intersection. With due regard, IMHO, they should have come to a complete stop, visually cleared the intersection and then proceeded. From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like that's what happened. Lawyer up! Again this is just my opinion and carries no weight, just what I think.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Wow, I Guess I am a nice guy. But if You come close to my sister or my girlfriend with anything other than noble intent I will not hesitate to make sure that the last thing you realize is your mistake.

Anyway, these are people responding to someone who is in real trouble. I was not, I got up and walked to the curb.

These are the public servants that are putting themselves in harms way. And the first reactions I am reading are sue their asses for all they are worth?

Nice dickhead, take one more squad car or firetruck off the street.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,681
WOW please tell us that this isn't going to be the last we hear of this. BTW...what happened to your bike??

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Oh and by the by the dickhead I was refering to was me, I dont want to the dickhead that stops a firetruck from its job.

~this is outta hand

Bike got a busted clutch lever, and some scars that have since been ove scarred. This was number 2 of 14 crashes. Happened 2 years back.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
wllys55
BiPolar

Oddometer: 2
Bluhduh

Wow! It wouldn't be taking an emergency vehicle off the street if you let your situation be known. A fire truck responding to an emergency and creating one at the same time without regard.....sounds like an oxymoron!

Just saying....glad to hear your ok!
wllys55 is offline   Reply With Quote