User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
My First "Get-off" in 40 Years

Got my first bike in 1967 (CL90). Been pretty much riding ever since with the exception of about a 16 year hiatus while my daughters were growing up. Had a couple of minor accidents (aside from dirt riding get-offs) back in the day and had one about 3 hours ago. The classic "vehicle not seeing the rider prior to making a left turn scenario with a few twists. I had just entered a left turn lane approaching a stop-light at maybe 15 mph. A large truck stopped in the through lane, as a courtesy, right next to me to allow a car to make a right turn from a parking lot onto the street. The car (Dodge 300) instead pulled across the front of him and ran into me in the turn lane. I went over the bars and into the adjacent approaching lane. Went down on my knee and shoulder and, apparently the back of my Nolan helmet. Fortunately no traffic coming in the opposite direction. Bruised and cut my knee but otherwise fine. I was not wearing my Vanson riding pants (with knee protection) as I had planned on doing prior to setting out. Had my Joe Rocket top on which was nice whilst sliding across the asphalt. Lesson learned (again)
The drive apologized profusely. Later told the cop that I ran into her according to what one of the Spanish speaking witnesses told me. The cop was not going to write out an accident report since there was no injury until he found out that the 40 year old female driver did not have a license, nor did any of her other 3 passengers. We'll see if their insurance info is valid. He had their car towed due to no license. Meanwhile, my 1974 R75/6 has a dented tank, torn off turn signal (retreived from inside her headlight), exhaust fins broken and bent, bent plug, and other misc. scratches, scrapes, etc. Towed bike home in neighbors truck. Haven't determined if the frame/forks are tweaked, etc. The bike was in really good, original condition. Bummer but at least I'm fine. Here's a before pic of the bike which I posted somewhere else on the ADV website some time ago.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
H2oskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Very sorry about your accident...heal quick

With your "cut knee" I would press for injury report, At least you will have
a police report with the lady's information. You may be able to file a
uninsured motorist property damage claim, if you had it on your policy.
Without the other persons info, you can't file a UMPD claim.
I'm glad you were not hurt more. Any accident you can walk away from
is a good one.
Merry Christmas
Dave
H2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,310
Glad you didn't get injured too badly.

Looks like we need to watch out for the courteous drivers and the people the are being courteous to. Seems there have bee a few of these accidents related to someone letting another driver out.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, the courteous driver, who was in a big panel truck, was really a little bit too much so as he stopped (to let the other driver into the traffic lane) probably 75 to 100 feet before the traffic signal. Of course, he didn't expect her to pull straight across 2 lanes of traffic (to hang a left turn) prior to hitting me.

On the subject of courteous drivers I'll relate an incident that happened to me last summer. Travelling a very rural straight 2 lane road at maybe 60 mph I had a yellow Maserati make a left hand turn into my lane of travel. Rather than hit the binders (drum brakes all around) I elected to cross over the double yellow divider to pass him. The oncoming lane was clear so no problem except that, the driver, upon seeing me and realizing that he had pulled out in front of me (I was still in my lane) decided that his best bet would be to also pull into the oncoming lane so I could continue on in my original lane (which I did after pulling back over into it). His courtesy to mein this maneuver was ill-advised, something he realized as I passed him on the right. I point out this incident as another example of never assuming that any driver will do the rational thing (in this case staying in the correct lane).

Ride safe.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
mdw403
Mike

Oddometer: 77
I can relate to H2oskier saying you may be able to put in an "uninsured/unidentified" claim, I received 15 grand for some serious injuries i sustained when a car pulled out of a pub carpark on a wet november night with no lights on and punted me into a wall causing some serious damage to me and the bike.

he drove off and left me to bleed.

In the UK that claim goes through a company called the motorist insurance beaureu.

merry christmas
Shad
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fortunately it appears that the driver vehicle was insured as they had notified their carrier of the collision. When I called them they indicated I should be hearing from someone within 2 business days. My carrier (I have Liability only) told me to let them know of the damage and also of a possibility of personal injury (the knee is coming along pretty good, still swollen and cut a bit but I'm pretty mobile and have it wrapped - it should be fine) that may or may not require a doctor visit. He said they would probably send out a claim adjuster to check out the bike at some point. We'll see how that goes. I've owned the bike about 10 years and do want to keep it and am capable of doing the parts replacement myself (not that they need to know that). The labor to replace the head, fix and paint the tank, etc. I imagine would cost quite a bit - enough so that they (assuming everything works out) may end up totalling the bike. It's a 1974 and getting very collectible. This will all be new to me as I haven't had a collision since 1978 when an uninsured retired dude with no assets big-time rear-ended me (1963 Volvo PV544, semi-restored) with his POS Cadillac beater. Incidentally, their Chrysler 300 slant-nose sustained a fair amount of front-end headlight, grill, bumper, and hood damage.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady
Fortunately it appears that the driver vehicle was insured as they had notified their carrier of the collision.
You're a lucky man. I had a similar situation--unlicensed driver, but the car was insured--on a wreck once.

Quote:
...also of a possibility of personal injury (the knee is coming along pretty good, still swollen and cut a bit but I'm pretty mobile and have it wrapped - it should be fine) that may or may not require a doctor visit.
You should definitely get it checked out. The insurance company owes you that and also money for your "pain and suffering" even if it's just for Advil. Get it checked out. There's no harm in getting it checked out, but there could be in thinking it's fine when it's not.

Glad you came out mostly OK, but it's a shame about the bike--it's (it was....) a beauty.

Rancho