ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #1996
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper
If we can keep it mostly dirt at an almost violent pace I am IN !! Maybe we should all just trailer our rides to Croom for a Central Southern Rally?! Can you say 4th gear pinned through an old growth hammock?
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1997
sanpau
Love to Ride
 
sanpau's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sunrise, FL
Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Pepper
Out - still no rear brake
What happened????? still waiting for parts????
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #1998
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW
 
FL Pepper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The Central Ridge
Oddometer: 1,454
All the parts have arrived, just it's dark by the time I get home from work.
__________________
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2001 Westfield Celebration
New ADVmonster Website
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #1999
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly
 
MiamiMotorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, Fl.
Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
Maybe we should all just trailer our rides to Croom for a Central Southern Rally?! Can you say 4th gear pinned through an old growth hammock?
I kind of like that idea. I've been wanting to see crooms.
__________________
Okay it's a sportbike... but riding is not a sport, it's a necessity. Same goes for the Dual Sport.
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 AM   #2000
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
I kind of like that idea. I've been wanting to see crooms.

I do too but unfortunately that would exclude the big cc bikes. Anything over a 650 will kick your ass in the waste high whoops at Croom. Of course the guys in Baja see far worse on much bigger rides. We could always just plan a trip too Croom for anyone that wants to ride there.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #2001
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly
 
MiamiMotorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, Fl.
Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
I do too but unfortunately that would exclude the big cc bikes. Anything over a 650 will kick your ass in the waste high whoops at Croom. Of course the guys in Baja see far worse on much bigger rides. We could always just plan a trip too Croom for anyone that wants to ride there.
Sounds like a plan though I kind of like the "trailer" idea. I'd get to use that stupid mini-van/ micro RV that I keep around and have a place to "camp."



Did I just admit to owning a mini-van?? crap.

No kids and a mini-van, bought it to do detailing and for carrying bikes/ camping.

.
__________________
Okay it's a sportbike... but riding is not a sport, it's a necessity. Same goes for the Dual Sport.
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #2002
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,297
isn't it like $50 to ride at Croom?
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #2003
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
isn't it like $50 to ride at Croom?

Only for a year pass (fee may have changed ) but if it were $50 it would still be worth it. 2600 acres with enough whooped out burmed single track to keep you busy for days. There is a ton of elevation change for FL and it is mostly shaded. It is like being in another state or if you are a native like me it is like a time machine to the 80s.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2004
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
Sounds like a plan though I kind of like the "trailer" idea. I'd get to use that stupid mini-van/ micro RV that I keep around and have a place to "camp."



Did I just admit to owning a mini-van?? crap.

No kids and a mini-van, bought it to do detailing and for carrying bikes/ camping.

.

We can still trailer or truck up. There is no way I am riding there at 55mph. We should start planning. I already know of at least 3 riders that would join.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #2005
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
Only for a year pass (fee may have changed ) but if it were $50 it would still be worth it. 2600 acres with enough whooped out burmed single track to keep you busy for days. There is a ton of elevation change for FL and it is mostly shaded. It is like being in another state or if you are a native like me it is like a time machine to the 80s.
i checked the site, it's a yearly pass only that is prorated.... the prorate in dec is $50. i think to save $50 i'd rather drive an extra hour and ride ocala's single track. if it's dry the trails outside croom are good as well.
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #2006
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
i checked the site, it's a yearly pass only that is prorated.... the prorate in dec is $50. i think to save $50 i'd rather drive an extra hour and ride ocala's single track. if it's dry the trails outside croom are good as well.
Saw that..Guess it has changed since Jan when I was there last. I have been to Ocala and the trails do not compare to Croom. I get what you are saying as far as $$ goes but to me it is worth it if you are into aggressive riding. Either way we need to get the Flatistanians together.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #2007
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer
 
DualSportDad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cape Coral, Fl.
Oddometer: 2,297
i've never been so i don't know how well they compare. i like to ride hard at times but sandy wooped out shit isn't for me. atleast not a day full of just that.

i've gotta agree as far as getting all of us together. Alan has been doing a pretty good job of that for years. he hosts two get togethers a year that are a blast.

i know where there's some nice trails in north port that are single track. pnly about 10 miles though. pretty fun for being somewhat close to me.
__________________
Alex
Ft. Myers, Fl.
2006 Buell Ulysses
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #2008
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide
 
rider1150gsadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Florida Keys/Ft Likkertail , USA
Oddometer: 5,912
Out for Sat.. Sunday is still open.
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #2009
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly
 
MiamiMotorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, Fl.
Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
Only for a year pass (fee may have changed ) but if it were $50 it would still be worth it. 2600 acres with enough whooped out burmed single track to keep you busy for days. There is a ton of elevation change for FL and it is mostly shaded. It is like being in another state or if you are a native like me it is like a time machine to the 80s.
It costs $25.00 to ride an MX track so I could see paying $50 to ride croom, especially if it is more than a one day pass kind of thing.

Sold the MX bike, don't want to be on a small course and to pay $25 for the privilege just wasn't agreeing with me.
__________________
Okay it's a sportbike... but riding is not a sport, it's a necessity. Same goes for the Dual Sport.
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #2010
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
It costs $25.00 to ride an MX track so I could see paying $50 to ride croom, especially if it is more than a one day pass kind of thing.

Sold the MX bike, don't want to be on a small course and to pay $25 for the privilege just wasn't agreeing with me.
Croom is an old phosphorus mining area and has some very unnatural terrain for Florida. There are a bunch of big hills and bizarre trails that have been etched into them over the course of the past 30 years. At times it feels as though you are riding in a tunnel. I usually go for 2 days. Day 1 is usually spent just getting used to the place and exploring.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014