Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #2701
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Nope

2" nail I picked up coming into the gas station, ordered a sub, came outside to eat and the tire was flaaaaat.
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #2702
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
nice pics John. i didn't know you got a flat, mine held all the way home. took the freeway back doing 70+ the whole time and was watching it the whole way home. what did you do just patch it? i can never get patches to stick... i carry a extra tube but that all all my tire changing gear is heavy in the camel back. i need to get my front fender bag back on.

i'll have to ask John to post his tracks of the trails we rode before... they were good. or we just need to start at the other end of sabal palm. i know my way from there a little better.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #2703
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad
what did you do just patch it?
Yep, used slime scabs. I didn't think it would work as the puncture was on a seam. W4W scraped the seam flat with his knife, roughed up the area and applied. Held just fine for loop rd, levee and highway (70+) no problem. I rode a bit yesterday and it hasn't lost any air pressure.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2704
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

Good fix!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #2705
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,185
Alex and John,

Nice to meet you guys. I had a great time getting out into the middle of nowhere with you both. We definitely need to do a full day exploring Picayune.

Alex, my truck was still in the lot thankfully.Believe it or not, I had only used 1.8 gallons to get out to Picayune and do all of that riding. All that worrying for nothing. Now I know that I can run about 150 miles at Saturdays pace without going dry. Yeah, you should have seen the nail and our gas station "bike jack" .

John, Thank you very much for the company. I wasn't sure that you would be alright with the sub 55mph riding but you were very cool about it. I promise to have a more road worthy ratio for the next outing.

Hey Miami, don't be too harsh on the poor snakes. They are just doing their thing in this world. I was actually shocked to see the Eastern Diamondback as I have not spotted one since I was 15. It's very sad to me that a snake that I used to come across on a daily basis (and catch to bring home and scare my mom) is now so rare due to over-development and human encroachment. We are a far larger detriment to them than they could ever be to us.

I have to give a big shout out and a thank you to all of the good country folks that offered to help us when John got his flat...Big time reminder of the terrible "me-me-me" attitude of the city dwellers. Damn it was nice to be out of Miami.....

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #2706
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods
Damn it was nice to be out of Miami.....
+1^10
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #2707
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,716
I have some of those on the DRZ. It worked without rubber cement?

You should probably change that tube. The last one I patched only lasted for a couple of rides and the patch failed. 10psi all the time does not help, but I am not inclined to trust a patch now.

When are you coming up here John, I want a ride on it.

Quote:
Yep, used slime scabs. I didn't think it would work as the puncture was on a seam. W4W scraped the seam flat with his knife, roughed up the area and applied. Held just fine for loop rd, levee and highway (70+) no problem. I rode a bit yesterday and it hasn't lost any air pressure.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #2708
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz
It worked without rubber cement?
Yes, adhesive designed into the patch. It'll stay on there until it's flat or I switch to tubeless. Gonna try the shinko e700 tubeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz
When are you coming up here John, I want a ride on it.
How long you gonna be up north? Headed up to Rick's party on May 13th. Maybe we will cross paths?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #2709
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,452
I Went For A Ride

This weekend I wanted to get outta town and try out solo camping before I head for North Carolina this summer, so I borrowed a tent and headed out without really putting any thought into where I was going.

I took my favorite backroads between Palmdale and Tampa, first stop was for a drink at this famous wayside inn. The Harley guys were teasing me about my bike, asking if I did many stoppies and wheelies with it.

I think this is the only pic with me in it.

I managed to get to Dunnellon and only passed through 2 towns, Arcadia and Plant City.

On the way I rode my favorite roads in central Florida: Blanton Rd/Spring Lake Hwy/Mondon Hill. I’ve been through there several times and that is my favorite area for riding. Gorgeous rolling hills, nice sweepers, and not much traffic. I was too busy riding to stop and take any good pictures, anyway photos don’t do the scenery justice. Here’s one along the way.

I was shooting for Rainbow Springs to try to pick up a tag for the Central Fla game that I had tried for a while back. I made it, and found a nice little park with a beautiful view of the Rainbow River.

I wanted to camp at the state park, but there was no room at the inn for Sharon. Too bad, it looked like a nice place. Someone told me it had been recently renovated.
This was the road to the campground. Nice rolling hills and they have roads that have curves everywhere!

This is where I ended up setting up camp Friday night. It was in a redneck fish camp, but that was alright since it was well stocked with I.C.B. (ice cold beer.) There was a nice cool breeze off the river, and no bugs. An interesting assortment of people were hanging out there, to say the least.

Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #2710
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Saturday, I backtracked and rode Ozello trail, which I had never done before. It was not what I expected, but nice. My gps took me off road to get there, which was odd, but it has done that before.

I rode past many previous tags in my travels, this one was in Romeo, on US41.

This place got a paint job since it was tagged.

I went as far north as Williston, then ended up skirting Gainsville, rode through Ocala, and into the national forest. By this time I was hot and tired so I found a campground that had space and rested at Salt Springs Recreation Area

The swimming hole at the spring

I did some hiking on Bear Swamp Trail

Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #2711
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Sunday I rode up SR19. This was a boat ramp on the Oklahawa River.

The cross Florida barge canal bridge

A random spot on highway 19

Sometimes if I ask her nicely, my gps will take me on some nice roads. This was one of those.

By this time, I was tired and my knees hurt, so I headed home.

My bike odo said exactly 4500 miles when I left, accounting for a couple convenience store runs where I did not take the gps, that leaves about a 40 mile discrepancy between the bike and the gps. A long weekend of riding either way.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #2712
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,859
Wow, nice ride and pics.

Glad to see you are back out there.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #2713
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
Wow, nice ride and pics.

Glad to see you are back out there.

Same here. Thanks for those pics. Looks like it will be a while until I go back so I am riding thru the forum.

Frenchie
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #2714
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
How long you gonna be up north? Headed up to Rick's party on May 13th. Maybe we will cross paths?
We will be heading back home on the 5th. I probably won't make it back up there for the Eastern Rendezvous.

We are still planning the DS camp and ride in ONF for Memorial Day. I may get up there and talk to the new camp hosts today and get a thread up.

Nice pics and report, Sharon. When are you bringing that DRZ up here? Kim and I will show you some of the easier stuff out in the forest.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #2715
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Pepper

By this time, I was tired and my knees hurt, so I headed home.

My bike odo said exactly 4500 miles when I left, accounting for a couple convenience store runs where I did not take the gps, that leaves about a 40 mile discrepancy between the bike and the gps. A long weekend of riding either way.
That's a ways for a weekend jaunt here locally

I was expecting to hear from you Saturday in regards to camping at The Swamp

Camped at The Scrub instead, huh?

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote