User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4711
cant stay upright
jebus

Oddometer: 180
where to ride

Hi Guys i was wondering where you guys ride as all i here as the park ? i live in clearwater but stuck for transporting my bike anywhere at the moment untill i find a cheap truck ,I have a xt600 a old one but all works good i have road tires on there at the mo but will al ways change them for a bit of dirt .so if any one is close to that could offer me a lift or tell me a close place to ride iwould be very happy, i have riden richloam and ocala but it just the lack of truck at the moment. thanks i look forward to riding with you guys soon.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #4712
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Look what I got today!

These are the beginning of saddlebags for the KLR. These are heavy, 20 lbs. a piece. They're going on a diet though. I plan to cut out the sides and ends until I just have a skeleton. Then put in aluminium sheet with blind rivets. Hope to get them down around 12 lbs. apiece. There are several threads on here from inmates who have done the same so I'm going to give it a shot, and see what I can do.

BTW, If someone wants a set of Mermite cans, PM me I'll tell you where they are. Same local place I bought these from.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #4713
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
Look what I got today!

These are the beginning of saddlebags for the KLR. These are heavy, 20 lbs. a piece. They're going on a diet though. I plan to cut out the sides and ends until I just have a skeleton. Then put in aluminium sheet with blind rivets. Hope to get them down around 12 lbs. apiece. There are several threads on here from inmates who have done the same so I'm going to give it a shot, and see what I can do.

BTW, If someone wants a set of Mermite cans, PM me I'll tell you where they are. Same local place I bought these from.
And where did you get those from?

I am still contemplating ammo cans for my EX, but the only ones I've found locally ('cause I'm not paying shipping, and I hate paying to get in to gun shows) are smaller ones.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #4714
El Santo
Enmascarado de Plata

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
I'll be there around 10:30ish. Green KLR.

Any thoughts on a route? Anywhere but Clewiston Tiki Bar, please.......

Vote for squares or........?

I'll bring SPOT!
I will be there 10:30 too! Blue KTM Twin. Looking forward to an adveinture !
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #4715
sanpau
Love to Ride

Oddometer: 698
Pepper & Sanpau will not be able to make it out to the park today. Sorry to miss you guys but something came up. Catch up with you next time.
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #4716
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,452
Well, we finally got the bikes in one piece and running, what a nice evening for a ride.

So how was this morning's festivities?
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps

FL Pepper screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 06:08 PM
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #4717
sanpau
Love to Ride

Where was everyone we finally made it to the park about 8 hours late but we made it....the gang after dark is an interesting group..pepper and I had some great entertainment....the owner of the store said their lease was extended 1year so at least for now we still have somewhere to meet.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #4718
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

We didn't ride. Weather sucked and it was too cold!

Pic from the beginning of loop road

Loop Road. It was nice, not many pot holes. Very dry and dusty, we spread out quite a bit so we weren't getting covered in talcum powder.

You can see a little more dust in this pic. Not much for wildlife this time, just some anhingas and ibis pearched around. Turkey buzzard in the sky in this pic. I think the construction of the new culverts has scared of the gators, or it was just too cold. I was half expecting them to be sunning themselves on the road but no such luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #4719
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

These pics were from the camera phone. Uploading the high res pics from my DSLR now. More to come, as a teaser though, El Santo and I found some AWESOME!!!!! trails in the squares. We did 49 miles of dirt and never really took the time to explore. We were racing the sun and almost didn't make it!

Details to follow.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4720
sanpau
Love to Ride

No SPOT calls correct???......Pepper and I were all ready to go but my bike decided it didn't want to go.....so ER got a new battery today.......F650 was the only one running this morning.....Pepper had her bike apart in the garage...We both looked at each other and took count 8 bikes and 1 working one...............hummmmmm.................sanjoh out of town so by the end of the day 4 working bikes and had time to make a run to the park didn't arrive until after dark but we had a drink and visited some and then came back to the house. Loop road looked in great condition.....Glad you all met up and had a great ride......I hope to join you next time....

What did you find in the squares? The last time Pepper and I were there lots of construction going on and we went through some pretty mean water holes to get back onto the main road.....Rub and Dub and I were headed that way one day via Janes' Scenic but tree was across the road so didn't make it.

Looking forward to the picts.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #4721
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Ah, that would be a no on the SPOT calls this time!

"8 bikes and 1 working one" Exactly how many BMWs do you have???!!!

If you saw construction in The Squares, that could very well be what they were doing. Some of the trails we found looked very new, they filled some areas with rock (I assume where mud pits were). Some were just fresh paths through the grass. More of that later though.

So one last pic of Loop Road

After that we headed west and picked up Turner River Road. Again road was in great shape but very dry, we were riding north, into the wind, so we were really spread out, didn't really help though. Oncoming SUVs looked like land trains bearing toward you like in Australia! Dust so thick I almost had to stop as I couldn't see! No pics of it though until we got to the turn for Wagon Wheel Road.

We all stopped to clean our faceshields and breathe fresh air for a minute.

Such great weather today! Look at that sky!

Artistic view west on Wagon Wheel.

After more gravel roads and dust, We ended up at Camile's in Everglades City for some much needed grub! First time I've been here on Rub-a-Dub's recommendation. I can't say enough good things about this place. Such nice, laid back staff, good food, eclectic decor, and a band! Well band was a little loud (that's just me though). It's just west of City Seafood on the other side of the water tank. Much better atmosphere and better selection than City Seafood too.

Can I use this as a flag tag?

TeeVee gettin' his grub on!

Tasty catfish and nice, fresh, crunchy salad.

El Santo flexing his mussels!

Rub-a-Dub thinking I should hurry up with the pic so he can tear into a tasty crabcake sandwich!

So after lunch and some interesting story telling, it was time to get back on the bikes. TeeVee and Rub-a-Dub headed towards home and El Santo and I wanted more. We said our goodbyes and rolled out. Stopped at 29 and 41 for fuel and headed to Jane's Scenic Drive.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #4722
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

No pics of Jane's Scenic but it was fun! There were some tourists in small SUVs but the wayed us by. I made sure to give a nice long wave of thanks to the cagers that let us pass. Janes had lots of potholes and a couple of spots where you could catch a little air. We got past all the cages and opened up our bikes a little. El Santo and I took turns leading. We were haulin' @$$ a couple of times!
We got past Janes and continued into Picayune Strand west towards Miller on Stewart. I found it interesting that they now have yellow gate arms on some of the roads that go north and south off of Stewart until you get to Miller. We headed north on Miller and then off to a side trail that ended in a dead end. We turned around and got back on Miller.

That's when we spotted this!

What this you say? Could it be a trail??! We originally thought they were temporary markers for a mountain bike trail or something. This became the beginning of our find of a virtual neverending trail system.

Some parts were grassy like the pic above, then it turns to sand. Dirt actually at first, then sand, ruts, stumps, dry mud pits, holes, logs, branches, gravel, rocks. In short, paradise!!!

Above pics were the tame stuff. It got better, or worse depending on your tastes! I really didn't get and pics of the rough stuff as we were racing the sun at this point. We didn't know how much longer the trail was and the sun was starting to drop. We did fuel up before we went in so we weren't worried about fuel but neither one of us wanted to be on hairy dual track in the dark. We finally came out here.

I-75 westbound behind us. We were looking at the toll booth on the west end of Alligator Alley and a sign that read MM 100!

El Santo was having a problem with fuel not transfering from one tank to the other on the KTM but we didn't get stranded. We were in Gateway (Marco Island!) We left Camile's around 4:00pm, got gas and rode, this pic was taken at about 6:00PM! From the gas station to here was 49 miles not counting wheel spin in the sand !
I'm sure we could spend all day in those trails, next time I think I'll pack a lunch and make a day out of it. It was late, sun was dipping below the horizon, temp was starting to drop. We put on our additional layers from the morning, jumped on 75 and slabbed it back. Another interesting note, El Santo did this on a nearly bald (completely bald ) Pirelli Scorpion. Lots of wheel spin in the sugar but this guy has skills!
I was on 50/50 shinko 244s. Afterwards we thought we should have aired down as we were at road pressure, not too much mud, no water, but we got a decent workout nonetheless. The 244s handle really well but I was thinking D606s would be just the ticket out here to really rip it up! So that's it for the day, I'll be sore tomorrow but can't wait to go back.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #4723
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 736
good thing we left when we did! you know how much i love sand!

i didn't shoot too many pics and will upload them tomorrow. here is the gps route though...

TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #4724
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,154
Great report. I'm heading south next monday and plan on riding turner river/wagon wheel and the loop on my way from ev. city to key west. Your right about Camile's, I stumbled on it last jan. and ate there 3 times in 2 days. Wonderful!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #4725
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,452
Nice ride report, great pictures. Glad you guys had fun.

Kenny, glad you finally got to explore the squares.
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote