User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #211
gmr-staffs
n00b

Oddometer: 1
A quick Reply from the poster on the F650.co.uk forum

Hi i'm Glenn from the F650.co.uk forum that posted regarding possible fork recalls regarding cracking i discovered on my fork legs before any catastrophic failure!!

I will post a mmore detailed account when i have more time, Regards to Ken and Wayne who i've been in touch with regarding this!

All the best, and if you own an F650 2000 ish GO AND CHECK YOUR FORKS NOW!!!

My bike has only covered about 22,000 miles and all road use!

Cheers

Glenn
gmr-staffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #212
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
UK Superbike Magazine has published an article on the failures under the title 'forking hell"

Can be viewed online at zinio.com

http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=...=si&pg=seo&p=9
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #213
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I'm sure BMW will counter that it's not designed to be ridden off-road.
This, of course, is why they use them at their off-road schools.

blacktiger screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 06:41 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #214
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarewheels
Just thought I'd post a pic that compares the older fork sliders with those
from a later model.

Early forks on the left and 2007 dakar on the right.

Attachment 183056

The webbing around the axle holder has been increased.

Heal quickly redbaroness.

Gary.
I'm not a fan of BMW because having owned an R100GS for 7 years a while back, I got to know their attitude to premature failures of gearboxes and drive shafts.
Their attitude is that if their dealers report failures they will redesign the part and issue it under the same part number and hope no-one notices. So my guess is that if you order a new fork leg for a 2002 F650GS you'll recieve the redesigned one.
If you can, Red-Baron, chase them all you can as there's clearly a series of failures here and it's a serious safety issue.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #215
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness
A very nice man from BMW North America called me after I was out of the hospital and said - "We've never heard of this happening before."
Stock reply from a dealer.

More threads in different places ...............
http://faq.f650.com/FAQS/ForksMaintF...Fork%20Failure
reads:-
GS Catastrophic Fork Failure? I own a F650 GS that I received new in June of 2000. After about 5,000 miles, I experienced a catastrophic failure of the castings on both side of the front forks. I sustained major injuries. BMW has admitted to knowing of 3 nearly identical failures before they redesigned the forks, adding more material. They decided not to notify owners. I'm wondering if any Chain Gang members know of similar failures. Gertarg '00 F650GS
  • I forgot to mention that as both sides of the forks snapped, the front wheel departed the bike leaving the bike and me doing 3 flips as the forks dug into the dirt. By the way the front wheel is in almost perfect condition. I didn't hit anything. Gertarg
  • That is the first instance of that happening that I have ever heard. Trevor #999
  • Back in '02 I purchased some parts from a guy of the internet...I think it was of of IBMWR, can't remember...they were new spares he had for a long tour down south. He was injured really bad for a few months when his front end came apart, but I can't remember if he said the forks or the wheel itself. I talked to him through e-mail and on the phone and I'm trying to find the records of what I purchased and then to narrow it down. He did say that he was involved with some sort of legal action with BMW at the time due to his situation not being the first, although his story was the only one I'd heard of until now. I wonder if he's the same guy? beem_dubya #1328
Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #216
Uthor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
they will redesign the part and issue it under the same part number and hope no-one notices. So my guess is that if you order a new fork leg for a 2002 F650GS you'll recieve the redesigned one.
I would be surprised if this wasn't standard practice. Why make a new part number and have to deal with replacing inventory/updating part lists when you can just put it out as the same number? This way, if someone comes in ordering a part from an old catalog, they will get the improved part.

What matters is how they release the upgraded part. Will they start making/selling them as the old ones run out or do they scrap all the old ones and replace them immediately with the new ones?
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #217
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthor
I would be surprised if this wasn't standard practice. Why make a new part number and have to deal with replacing inventory/updating part lists when you can just put it out as the same number? This way, if someone comes in ordering a part from an old catalog, they will get the improved part.
There's other times that BWM makes up new part numbers... the AWS ring antenna is a good example. It went through 5 part numbers in a year IIRC.

It just seems shady to have something which is a potentially safety issue out there. I get concerned because my wife has one of these bikes with the old design fork and I check it all the time now as though her life depended on it; WHICH IT DOES!

It's something that should just work and expected not to break... who checks their crankshafts on a regular basis? No one except racers... maybe. They don't break. Neither should the forks on a non-abused bike.
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #218
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Vec,

Be advised that the fork cracking MAY start on the INSIDE of the fork leg, and not be visible until it suddenly breaks.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #219
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso
Vec,

Be advised that the fork cracking MAY start on the INSIDE of the fork leg, and not be visible until it suddenly breaks.
True enough... but at least a guy can hope, eh? I'm just thinking of the physics of where the stresses would be, and the outside bit should experience the most stress. Unless the flaw really is just a crappy job molding the thing and there are voids.

In the end, BMW has sold many many thousands of the 650... a very small minority has had catistrophic problems. I just hope that the one parked in the shed for the winter isn't one of them. I just wish BMW would man up and admit there seems to be a problem.
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #220
Uthor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vec
There's other times that BWM makes up new part numbers... the AWS ring antenna is a good example. It went through 5 part numbers in a year IIRC.

It just seems shady to have something which is a potentially safety issue out there.
I mean, it makes sense to get a new part number in a way. It's an easy way for someone to check if they have the newest design. The coil packs and diverter valve on my car are known weak points and checking the letter at the end of the part number (A, B, C, etc) tells you if you have the newest design.

I guess I'm just used to working with stuff that doesn't really get serviced by thousands of people, including ametuers, so when I see a new part number, I just think of all the other assembly drawings that need to be updated to reflect the change. Keeping the part numbers the same just saves a ton of work and money.
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #221
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso
Vec,

Did you have any luck with the super cool machine at work whose name I totally forget? :lol:
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #222
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Just looking at it, I’d be inclined to think that the crack started due to the tube being machined out.
The wall looks just a little too thin for the load that will be transferred through it and castings aren’t as strong as wrought aluminium.
Where the machining has stopped at the bottom of the leg looks to have created a stress raiser nice and close to where the bottom of the axle support section is moulded into the bottom of the leg. I would think that it started here and worked away for a while until the crack progressed enough to tear the whole lug out of the fork. Once one side went, the torque and stresses would be enough to tear the other side apart, especially if it had a similar flaw. Very slight differences in oil level and spring rates would exacerbate the problem

Even if it did have a very slight weep of fork oil as a warning, if you didn’t know about it, who would notice it? Not many inspect the forks from that angle, and if you did you would probably put it down to road grime.

Judging by the number others that have had similar failures, I would certainly be aiming for some form of compensation.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #223
Old Coastie
Saddle Sore

Oddometer: 4
" . . . . the ghost."

I've just been 'wading' through this thread and ran across the Red Baroness's comment about 'speaking English'. I don't know how familiar you are with how the term is used here (USA), but it does mean you should not use 'unknown' words/phrases for clarity's sake. Additionally, the term 'giving up the ghost' is not uncommon use in the USA, just uncommon to the 'Baroness'. FWIW.

DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh
It's a common ENGLISH idiom.

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...the+ghost.html

We use it in ENGLAND. Where we speak ENGLISH, obviously.

Clearly, this doesn't translate as well for the American audience as I'd hoped
Old Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #224
Decster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
thought this thread needed a bump for some folks who might not be aware of it....

....and can we have an update from her Ladyship RedBaroness, please.
Decster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #225
Fluffycat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the bump!!!!

Wow!!! never seen that before. Very bad design or maufacturing Q/C. Will let my buddy see the pics as she has one of those.
Hope the rider recovers ok from that one, though from experience those sort of injuries kinda stay with you. Best of luck.