User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #241
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
CURRENTLY, THERE IS NO DATA CONCLUSIVELY ESTABLISHING THAT THE SUBJECT FORK LUGS ARE SEPARATING BEFORE AN ALLEGED CRASH OCCURS. ADDITIONALLY, THE INFREQUENT, SPORADIC, AND RANDOM NATURE OF THE FAILURES FAILS TO ESTABLISH A DEFECT TREND CURRENTLY EXISTS.
I suppose we are supposed to ride with a camera recording the area to show the failure before the crash they cause.
Mossy_Crk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #242
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
And never do any of the maintenance late or yourself...
Southernmost_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #243
Crew Dawg Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
What!?!?!?!?

Nerver rely on the goverment to get anything right!!! 4 bikes.... I wonder how many more there are out there.

Morons...

Time for a beer

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Crew Dawg Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #244
vinracer40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Forks coming apart

This is not the first incident I have heard of where the F650GS forks have failed. I believe there is mention of it on the Chain Gang website, a site for the 650 owners. Anyone riding one of these machines should be looking for telltale signs of cracks or oil seepage especially if the machine has been used in rough country a lot. The fact they could fail on a relatively good chipseal road scares me. Especially when we own two of these bikes.

Pappy

vinracer40 screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 07:46 AM
vinracer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #245
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 191
After riding dirt bikes for many years and seeing how well built the forks are on smaller off road bikes(450's), I have always been surprised at how under built bigger "Road Bike" forks are compared to their size.

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Wh...Spacereje4.jpg

Just look at how small the effective mounting surface area is on a GS 650!! Its unnerving what keeps that fork together. Are you kidding me? That bike is almost twice the size as most off road bikes.

Scares me!
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #246
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
I would like to thank the OP and those how helped create this informative thread for their input and specifically the Op for leaving it up.

I hope all is well with the RedBaroness in her further riding ADventures.

I now know what to look for while Milady and i shop for her ADV bike. the GS is a prominent forerunner in this.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #247
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Another machine with axle mount failure

http://www.b66ama.com/

Scroll to the very bottom

Machine seems to have been purchased from a dealer with the damage, cause unknown
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #248
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcskibike2008
After riding dirt bikes for many years and seeing how well built the forks are on smaller off road bikes(450's), I have always been surprised at how under built bigger "Road Bike" forks are compared to their size.

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Wh...Spacereje4.jpg

Just look at how small the effective mounting surface area is on a GS 650!! Its unnerving what keeps that fork together. Are you kidding me? That bike is almost twice the size as most off road bikes.

Scares me!
For real. Look at that spindly flange holding the front wheel on. It should be at the bottom of the fork with a lot of metal around it.

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 11:20 AM
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #249
wetrock
McLovin

Oddometer: 128
The more of these I see, the more glad I am that I swapped out my forks to the 03 and later model with beefier lugs.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #250
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Pissed Another one bites the dust

Will it ever end?
www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393785

I wonder, have there been other failures that happened on the highway in traffic where the rider was killed and the bike so mangled that no one knew that a fork failure was the cause?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #251
Swissican
adapt and overcome

Oddometer: 84
Hope all's well

It's been a few years since your crash but it still looks like it hurt quite a bit . I just got back from my ride from Southern California to Deadhorse, and on my way back I went through Destruction Bay. Seeing the pictures of your accident make me appreciate my bike and my luck even more.
I took my Kawasaki VN900, which by all means isn't made for a trip like the one I did. More than once I hit an enormous pothole where, I'm pretty sure, I bottomed out on my front shocks. I guess I'm just lucky that nothing broke , especially since I was riding alone.
Hmmm...not sure if any of this makes sense but once again, I hope you made a complete recovery...

Ride on...

To Deadhorse on a VN900
Video of my bike
Swissican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #252
redbaroness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissican View Post
It's been a few years since your crash but it still looks like it hurt quite a bit . I just got back from my ride from Southern California to Deadhorse, and on my way back I went through Destruction Bay. Seeing the pictures of your accident make me appreciate my bike and my luck even more.
I took my Kawasaki VN900, which by all means isn't made for a trip like the one I did. More than once I hit an enormous pothole where, I'm pretty sure, I bottomed out on my front shocks. I guess I'm just lucky that nothing broke , especially since I was riding alone.
Hmmm...not sure if any of this makes sense but once again, I hope you made a complete recovery...

Ride on...
Thank you for your sentiments. I *am* fully recovered now. Glad you had a good ride to Alaska. In spite of how it ended, that was a fantastic journey and I hope to return there someday.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #253
perryg114
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Glad you came out of it ok. From an engineering perspective without seeing the parts it looks like the metal was too thin and the casting was of poor quality. It looks like there is a lot of porosity in the metal which makes it weak. It also makes it full of cracks to start with and very brittle. I was under the impression that most fork lowers were made from billets not cheap castings but maybe I am wrong there. Fatigue should not have been an issue here since there should have been more than enough metal to prevent much deflection. Also the metal should have been made of a rather mild alloy which should not fracture like that unless it is full of holes to start with (poor casting). I have seen this type of fracture in really cheap castings or really weak metal like magnesium. Even if it were a really good alloy I think I would have added a little extra meat in there.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #254
Exevious
Goatrider A.F.& A.M.

Oddometer: 828
The answer is to sell your BMW and buy something else.

I for one send this link to anyone I hear considering the F650 or any BMW for that matter.
Exevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #255
kluanemachine
n00b

Oddometer: 1
bmw 2002 f650gs

I think I have ended up with the remains of your motorcycle,minus the luggage and front forks.Your insurance company has written off the machine,and I am wondering if you still have the Title?I have ordered a set of yamaha yzf450 front wheel and fork assembly,and plan to put the bike back on the road if I can get hold of the original Title,which I need to import the bike into Canada.If I cannot,I will just use it for offroad.Hope you recovered okay,and if you ever make it back up this way,look me up in Haines Junction.

EDIT BY ANNIEGS: I changed this one to a link 'cuz it's a bit graphic (broken arm).
http://red-baroness.net/Motorcycling...nBike/arm2.jpg

Rest of the crash photos: http://red-baroness.net/Motorcycling/images/BrokenBike/

We googled a bit and found this on the ChainGang site: http://faq.f650.com/FAQS/ForksMaintFAQ.htm#GS%20Catastrophic%20Fork%20Failu re

If anyone knows about any similar incidents with the GS, please contact me or comment here.[/QUOTE]
kluanemachine is offline   Reply With Quote