Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #256
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Put some Yamaha forks on there and you have a pretty sweet bike.

Hey, wait a minute... why didn't those geniuses at BMW think of that?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #257
redbaroness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluanemachine View Post
I think I have ended up with the remains of your motorcycle,minus the luggage and front forks.Your insurance company has written off the machine,and I am wondering if you still have the Title?I have ordered a set of yamaha yzf450 front wheel and fork assembly,and plan to put the bike back on the road if I can get hold of the original Title,which I need to import the bike into Canada.If I cannot,I will just use it for offroad.Hope you recovered okay,and if you ever make it back up this way,look me up in Haines Junction..
[/QUOTE]

Hello! I sent you a PM (personal message) about this, which you can see in the top right hand side of the page. Look forward to your reply. :)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #258
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
This accident reminds me of video that I saw a few months ago. A guy is riding on a dirt road on a BMW wearing a high definition camera when you see the fender just shoot out from its normal position above the front tire foward from the motorcycle, at the same time the front tire instantly stops rotating throwing the rider foward. It seems to me that this could very well be what happened to you. It seems unlikely that the forks would just suddenly break like that on pavement... If the brake line that is routed between the two forks catches in the tire, or even the fender catches the tire, and instantly stops it on pavement, it could have caused enough stress to rip the tire off the forks as in your picture. Do not take my word for it, this is just speculation, and do not dismiss it either, find the video and watch it. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video worth a million !

Mike

JettPilot screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 11:13 PM
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #259
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"It seems unlikely that the forks would just suddenly break like that on pavement... "

Yet, amazingly that is exactly what has happened numerous times! BMW is still trying to stonewall and BS their way out of the product liability and continue to sell an inferior product at inflated prices to unsuspecting novices who think that they are paying for "fine Germany engineering" but getting low bid Chinese components.

The Chinese motorcycle industry is really making huge improvements, but I still think you should know what you're paying for.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #260
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,951
That's Joe aka lost rider, formerly chitown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
This accident reminds me of video that I saw a few months ago. A guy is riding on a dirt road on a BMW wearing a high definition camera when you see the fender just shoot out from its normal position above the front tire foward from the motorcycle, at the same time the front tire instantly stops rotating throwing the rider foward. It seems to me that this could very well be what happened to you. It seems unlikely that the forks would just suddenly break like that on pavement... If the brake line that is routed between the two forks catches in the tire, or even the fender catches the tire, and instantly stops it on pavement, it could have caused enough stress to rip the tire off the forks as in your picture. Do not take my word for it, this is just speculation, and do not dismiss it either, find the video and watch it. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video worth a million !

Mike
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #261
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Another failure, machine for sale on EBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-F...item43b386058d
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #262
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Another failure, machine for sale on EBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-F...item43b386058d
Seller deleted the closeups of the broken right side lug. Were there yesterday.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #263
astroguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Seller deleted the closeups of the broken right side lug. Were there yesterday.
I just looked now and the broken lug images are still there.
astroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #264
astroguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroguy View Post
I just looked now and the broken lug images are still there.
Okay....sorry Benesesso....I realize now that you are correct. Yes the offending Rt lug image close ups have all been removed. I hadn't realized that my computer was just pulling up the cached images when I rechecked....when I forced a page 'reload' the lug closeups have been removed! What a joke!
The really interesting part is when I saw this eBay ad....I immediately fired off a question to the seller as to the particulars of the type of accident. That was last night. I have not gotten any response to the question , but now the images have been removed!!
In my question to the seller I made no mention of the 'known' 'potential' lug failure issue. I didn't say anything , just 'what happened?" Then the seller takes off the exact images that only seem to prove that he knows of this problem?
Wish I knew the circumstances in the accident but really looks unlikely now.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #265
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroguy View Post
Okay....sorry Benesesso....I realize now that you are correct. Yes the offending Rt lug image close ups have all been removed. I hadn't realized that my computer was just pulling up the cached images when I rechecked....when I forced a page 'reload' the lug closeups have been removed! What a joke!
The really interesting part is when I saw this eBay ad....I immediately fired off a question to the seller as to the particulars of the type of accident. That was last night. I have not gotten any response to the question , but now the images have been removed!!
In my question to the seller I made no mention of the 'known' 'potential' lug failure issue. I didn't say anything , just 'what happened?" Then the seller takes off the exact images that only seem to prove that he knows of this problem?
Wish I knew the circumstances in the accident but really looks unlikely now.
I just rechecked and they're back! Maybe an eBone screwup?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #266
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 830
You guys talking about this picture in the eBay listing?

Pretty much impossible to say if the fork failed and caused the crash or broke as a result of a crash...
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #267
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post

Pretty much impossible to say if the fork failed and caused the crash or broke as a result of a crash...
Yes, but note that it is the right side fork, as usual.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #268
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post

If the wheel is still straight, we can make a guess...

Either way, it shouldn't break in a crash that the bike is still in one piece, as this one is.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #269
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Astroguy, I also fired off some questions to the seller and have not yet received any reply, I am hoping some US based person can pick up the phone and ask a few questions, the phone No is in the Ebay ad
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #270
astroguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Astroguy, I also fired off some questions to the seller and have not yet received any reply, I am hoping some US based person can pick up the phone and ask a few questions, the phone No is in the Ebay ad
I finally did get a response yesterday......"No. We got the bike in this condition. It appears to have run into
something.-partsoffski".
So it looks like no info forthcoming eh?
I've toyed with the idea of calling but it really feels dead end.