Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #76
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness
I'm working on finding out if there is any way to get my bike shipped here. I have a feelig that insurance will probably declare it a total loss and not pay for it to shipped and fixed.
I would tell them that you are filing an NHTSA report as you consider it a serious safety related failure and may be considering legal action. It's possible they will want to persue this avenue as they will be able to subrogate the claim. I'd press hard for the bike to be shipped here for inspection before it is totalled. Also, don't mention the Trollhaugen crash unless you are specifically asked to provide info on previous accidents.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #77
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Right now the jury seems to be out on whether the forks broke because of my previous crash where the bike endo-ed. I suppose I should have replaced the forks then if I had known better.
I can't see how, frankly. Wheels are (or should be) far more flimsy than front forks, and in order for any kind of impact to damage the forks, it would have to first get through the wheel. Which would end up banana shaped. In addition, there are all sorts of delicate things bolted to the forks. Like brake calipers and the ABS sensor for instance. And then if you did find a way of applying big enough forces to the wheel spindle area to do some damage to previously healthy forks without turning the wheel square, the sliders would be bent and the forks out of true, and the bike would never have ridden properly again, been pissing fork oil out through the fork seals and had obvious creases in the chrome on the sliders that Stevie Wonder could have spotted.

Thing is, nothing that happened in that crash would have obviously applied more forces to the area that later failed than it would have experienced a dozen times a minute riding over bumps, on or offroad.

So while it is still just about possible (but very unlikely) that the reasons the forks failed when they did, as opposed to in 5/10/15,000 miles time, was because of the Trollhaugen crash, the only reason that the Trollhaugen crash could possibly have had any effect on them at all would be due to a manufacturing and/or design flaw...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #78
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh
the only reason that the Trollhaugen crash could possibly have had any effect on them at all would be due to a manufacturing and/or design flaw...
I'm sure BMW will counter that it's not designed to be ridden off-road. So anytime the bike goes horizontal it's time for a new one But yeah, like I said previously, if the wheel had zero damage, it's real hard to buy an argument that the lower fork sliders suffered some crash related damage.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #79
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Nope, none that we know of.

I'm working on finding out if there is any way to get my bike shipped here. I have a feelig that insurance will probably declare it a total loss and not pay for it to shipped and fixed.

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that someone on advrider lives in that area and can assist with this?
Famous last words because it could be that the frame is bent out of true or something but while making it pretty again could be a hell of a job, but if you bought it from the insurance company it doesn't look like it would be hugely expensive to make it functional again. New forks, new levers, maybe a few other parts, maybe a new front wheel, maybe new bark busters, and it could be back on the road...

...although you might immediately find that you can never trust it again, and being as how it will always look like a bike that has been slung up the road at 80 mph, you might also struggle to sell it.

For the purpose of investigating what happened, I would expect that the only parts you actually need are the forks, the front wheel and the spindle. So actually, a trip by rental car to Destruction Bay with some spanners would enable you (if you can wait until you are fit enough to drive) to bring all your gear, your two weeks worth of dirty washing, any bits and pieces like GPS mounts and electrical tails etc etc and all the broken front end components back in the boot (err... trunk) of the car. Or it would if it wasn't 3 hard long day's drive there and the same back again.

So perhaps a better idea would be to pay to fly into Burwash...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burwash_Airport

...with your spanners and some empty bags... you could do that over a long weekend, I reckon.

Do you know any private pilots at Microsoft who might fancy a chance to fly you into a bush airstrip back in the Yukon?
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #80
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,403
Woof...Best to you for a speedy recovery, broken bones suck, so my hopes for a quick and uneventful mend.

I'm checking every inch of my machine as soon as I'm home...thanks for this post. When I read it I said, "WTF?!?!?! This can happen??" I'm naive I suppose, so thanks for taking the time and good on you for a superior attitude.

Best of luck,

B
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #81
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 672
Your Glennallen Aquaintance

Baroness, I was so sorry to hear about your crash. We met in Glenallen in the rainstorm, travelling together from the gas station to the Caribou Hotel to make a mad dash for the last rooms.

I wouild echo the advice of someone earlier. SAVE THE PARTS and have them tested in a non-destructive manner by an independent before anyone with only their own interest in mind gets ahold of them and they disappear. And not for the sake of a lawsuit, which I am very adverse to, having been the defendant in three so far in my career. But perhaps if there is a defect in some other bikes out there, enough noise backed by an expert opinion, might save somebody else's ass. And it could be my wife's.

Who was the surgeon in Seattle who fixed your arm? I have lots of friends there and perhaps I know them. Dick Strohmeyer

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #82
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,187
Quote:
Mine was on the AlCan too.

That looks bad. What happened?
Red, combination of crazy road graders and deep gravel causing "point of no return" tank slap. I came out alright though, bruised rib, stretched neck and bruised tail bone. I made sure to call my insurance right away while it was fresh in my mind. They were really good and paid me for my accesories as well as any gear damaged. Make sure you have all your receipts, including any riding gear. Good luck.

Thanks Newenglander for asking, yep, I'm ok although my wife always thought I was a little "off".

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown

vtwin screwed with this post 08-15-2008 at 06:32 PM
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #83
Bumpstart
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tell me thats not a defective casting.

Really Scarry! Ive heard of carbon fiber swing arms cracking in half(big law suit) but never seen something like this before.

Absolutely get an attorney asap. They can help document this properly. Just because you have an attorney doesnt mean you plan on suing or being unreasonable but I can assure you that the other side will play hardball regardless of how pleasant they are.
And if it gets down to a fight between BMW, the dealer and you guess whos going to loose, the one with no attorney.
Besides, think how aggravating its going to be wiping with the wrong hand
Heal fast !
Bumpstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #84
Crew Dawg Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Tuck & Roll????

How the hell would anyone have any time to react to something like this??? 80 mph and the feck'n forks shear the wheel off... Tuck & roll my a$$!! Broken arm/hand... Not too bad consider'n... Angels and good gear!! Never leave home without them!! Heal quick girl!!

Quote:
Photos from my crash in the Yukon last week (clear day, bit windy, smooth pavement, and thankfully not much traffic, forks broke and front wheel came off). I was riding a 2002 F650GS. I sustained a compound fracture to my left forearm and another bone in my left hand. My Motoport gear w/i back and chest protector, Helimot gloves, Arai helmet and Daytona boots protected me from any other harm. I had to be airlifted to Seattle for surgery. I am out of the hospital now, but my bike and gear is still in Destruction Bay, YT. Yeah, I know.

This was the last day of my 3500 mile Seattle-Alaska ride but a hell of a way to end the grand adventure.

EDIT BY ANNIEGS: I changed this one to a link 'cuz it's a bit graphic (broken arm).
http://red-baroness.net/Motorcycling...nBike/arm2.jpg

Rest of the crash photos: http://red-baroness.net/Motorcycling/images/BrokenBike/

We googled a bit and found this on the ChainGang site: http://faq.f650.com/FAQS/ForksMaintFAQ.htm#GS%20Catastrophic%20Fork%20Failu re

Another advrider thread that talks about this crash: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=355138&page=6

If anyone knows about any similar incidents with the GS, please contact me or comment here.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Crew Dawg Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #85
_vortex_
snow snow snow :(

Oddometer: 1,133
Holy Crap.

I have a strong desire to go out to the parking lot and look over my forks real close, right now. What a scary thought.

Please keep us posted on what (if anything) BMW does when you notify them of this failure.

Oh - and after you heal (which I hope goes well and quickly, by the way) - what do you think your next bike will be? Me thinks it won't be a BMW....
Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #86
USBYGS
Riding the World

Oddometer: 877
Recovery?

Drop a line on the Alaska and Canada forum... there is always someone coming up or down with a cage, and there are definitely local riders who may be able to help or give suggestions...

Take no prisoners - Leave no witnesses
USBYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #87
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,476
Wow

That's one HELL of a strange failure.

All of my comments are completely anecdotal and speculative.

I used to roadrace and corner-work. I have seen quite a few severe crashes. Clearly, without engineering data (i.e. F.E.A. analysis, which would require the actual casting alloy to be correctly identified -- neither of which are impossible, just expensive) I am only guessing on this, but I've never seen a fork break without collateral damage to the wheel, triple clamps, and frame. Also, I've never seen a fork slider break without some damage to the fork tube, which on a RSU (right side up) fork, is usually the weaker component.

Furthermore, if you think about it, the axle is AHEAD of the fork leg, so any "normal" forces (and even abnormal forces of hitting something) would not tend to pull the axle away from the fork - rather, it would push the axle into the fork leg cavity.

I'm throwing my card in the "manufacturer's defect" hat, and IMHO, you should look at taking action to secure compensation for your losses -- the vehicle, your medical costs, rental transportation, your time away from work, as much as I hate to suggest something so non-concrete, but you surely did have a lot of pain and suffering.

Since the bike was sold in the US as a US model, regardless of where the incident occurred, I agree with filing the NHSTA report -- it's not your job to determine metallurgy, flawed MFG techniques, or to analyze the design for inherent problems -- it's theirs. If it's a clear case with a definable problem which results in a recall, you've done your civic duty to protect the unwary, if it's unfounded, no loss on your part.

I'm on the fence about contacting BMW - I've heard so many varied reports of BMW customer service -- from gracious and copious compensation to outright stone-walling -- that I couldn't be certain of how it will be handled. Frankly, putting this thread on ADVRider probably didn't improve your chances of getting treated well since the public relations damage is already done, BMW NA has no incentive to make you happy. BMW is very sensitive about their image.

Anyway, heal fast, hope everything knits up pointing in the right direction.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #88
redbaroness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by USBYGS
Drop a line on the Alaska and Canada forum... there is always someone coming up or down with a cage, and there are definitely local riders who may be able to help or give suggestions...
Where would that be?
redbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #89
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Oddometer: 225
Canada here
Alaska here

(They're hidden in the regional forums section)

Hope you're feelin' better!

Now I just hope that our bike doesn't have the same flaw.
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #90
redbaroness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vec
Canada here
Alaska here

(They're hidden in the regional forums section)

Hope you're feelin' better!

Now I just hope that our bike doesn't have the same flaw.
Thank you!! I will try there.
redbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote