User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #91
motorcyclejazz
Banned

Oddometer: 209
Wow

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Let us know if we can help.

Cheers

martin

motorcyclejazz.com
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #92
squarewheels
Agent Amber

Oddometer: 18
Just thought I'd post a pic that compares the older fork sliders with those
from a later model.

Early forks on the left and 2007 dakar on the right.

Name:  axlehold.jpg
Views: 12510
Size:  103.0 KB

The webbing around the axle holder has been increased.

Heal quickly redbaroness.

Gary.
squarewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #93
Uthor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarewheels
It also looks like the rounds got bigger, thus lessening stress concentrations.
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #94
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarewheels
Just thought I'd post a pic that compares the older fork sliders with those
from a later model.

Early forks on the left and 2007 dakar on the right.

Attachment 183056

Heal quickly redbaroness.

Gary.
That's pretty cool how the lower left one has been wired together

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #95
S.Nelson
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness
I crashed a couple of months ago at a rally and it might have been an outcome of that crash. The BMW dealership replaced the front fairing mounting. To be honest, there were no visible signs of any damage in the forks then or during the 3500 miles of my trip (no fork oil leakage or anything). I am loathe to blame them for this.
Glad to here you are okay that looks to be a scary crash.

If the forks were damaged from a previous accident you or the dealer would not necessarily be able to see the cracks in the material. Alot of stress cracks are not visible to the human eye but can result in catastrophic failure. Also the cracks could not have been deep enough to leak any oil. The forks would have to have been sent to a Non Destructive Testing Lab to be checked for cracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondestructive_testing

Even now that the failure has occured the parts can still be sent to a lab to be inspected. Most of the time a good Engineer can detect where the failure occured and what caused it.

I am not saying there were cracks after the first accident I'm just providing you with more information that maybe has or has not been brought up so far.

My background is a manufacturing engineer making race car parts we deal with NDT all the time and have seen catastrophic failures because of stress fractures in metals.

Just some more information for you, glad you are okay.

-SN
S.Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #96
hacktastic
DR650 Killer(FIRE! FIRE!)

Oddometer: 160
*poking head into forum*

Gotta get in a public "HOLY FCUKING SH!TE!" for you. No more asploding fork sliders for you, missy! No way! You have met your quota for a lifetime.

hacktastic screwed with this post 08-16-2008 at 11:37 AM
hacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #97
TeflonBilly
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Get well soon. Hope to see you on the road again.
TeflonBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #98
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,100
Wow

Glad it wasn't worse & hope you recover speedily,

B
Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #99
DahlFunRider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fork thickness?

Is is just me, or does the wall thickness on the right fork seem thinner than that of the Left forK? (See above photo).

They don't appear to be the same. And, looking at the break patterns, I'd say the Right went first and ripped out the Left.
DahlFunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #100
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahlFunRider
Is is just me, or does the wall thickness on the right fork seem thinner than that of the Left forK? (See above photo).

They don't appear to be the same. And, looking at the break patterns, I'd say the Right went first and ripped out the Left.
That's kind of what I thought as well. RedBaroness may have some imagery that shows the other fork leg the day before the crash as well... it may even have sufficient resolution to show us whether there was anything there to see...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #101
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness
None at all. It was a well paved road. The bike did act like it went into a massive tankslapper though.
Mostly because I am considering the 650GS for my wife to buy, I propose this question. Does any body think the tankslapper she went into before she hit the road have anything to do with the cause of the failure? I cannot concieve of a fork failing in such a way that it would produce a wobble longer than about 1/100th of a second, too short to remember. Cast aluminum does not progress slowly from fatigue crack to total failure. Once it goes, it is gone. And once it is gone, the result would not be a tankslapper, but a very sudden stoppage as the wheel binds onto the other fork leg or the fender. If she remembers a tankslapper, it had to be longer and perhaps was the cause, not the result. Still, the forks should not fail with a "simple " tankslapper, IMHO, but maybe the failure was secondary. Both forks failed in essentially a symmetrical pattern, not like one broke and then the other broke due to different forces. Whaddya think?

I am encouraged that BMW has beefed up the fork at the point that the axle attatches.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #102
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver
Mostly because I am considering the 650GS for my wife to buy, I propose this question. Does any body think the tankslapper she went into before she hit the road have anything to do with the cause of the failure? I cannot concieve of a fork failing in such a way that it would produce a wobble longer than about 1/100th of a second, too short to remember.
Well, my working hypothesis is that it failed on the right hand side initially. At that point, the wheel was still clamped in place on the left hand fork leg, and partly attached to the right hand fork leg, spinning at Mmmmmph MPH so there would be a lot of gyroscopic forces and restrained somewhat by the brake disk and caliper as well.

If you look at what happened to the left hand fork leg, that was apparently ripped apart violently by huge forces. Had the motorcycle fallen over with even just that fork leg still attached I can see no way that the wheel would have been ripped clear as the bike slid down the ashphalt on its side.

On the other hand, a tank slapper in and of itself might do terrible things to the lock stops and the rider's underwear, but I don't think that it has the potential to rip a wheel out of the forks.

Furthermore, references to full-on tank-slappers on the BMW F650GS are almost non-existent the geometry of the bike just doesn't lend itself to such things. A disconcerting weave is one thing, but the full on 'holy shit I'm going to die' tank-slapper just doesn't happen to an F650GS without something being badly wrong. The tyre on the detached front wheel still has air in, so there was no front tyre blow-out, which is the only cause I could find for one single reported F650GS tank-slapper.

So it would appear that :

1. Something provoked a tank-slapper on a bike that just doesn't tank-slap, especially on smooth ashphalt.

2. The tank slapper simply couldn't have caused the wheel to first begin to detach from the bars.

3. The bike sliding down the road couldn't have caused the wheel to start to detach and is very unlikely to have caused the wheel to detach on the 'other' side by ripping the fork leg apart.

So that suggests to me that the right hand spindle mount casting failed, allowing the front wheel and the steering to move independantly, which provoked a literally uncontrollable tank-slapper (due to the wheel wobbling around a tad and only being attached to one fork leg), that probably felt like it lasted a lifetime but didn't, and which ended suddenly when the wheel did lock up, slamming the bars to the left and smashing RedBaronesses arm to pieces, then ripping the surviving fork leg apart as the bike and RedBaroness hit the deck and slid down the road. If you look where the bike ended up, and where RedBaroness ended up, they clearly had different angular momentum when they seperated - RedBaroness rag-dolled up the middle of the road, and the bike exited stage left...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #103
LostInTheDirt
Adventure Addict

Oddometer: 11
Took the Adventure Camp Course Together

redbarroness,
From us and all the friends you met at the Adventure Camp in Roy
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thank god you were ATGATT!
LostInTheDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #104
LostInTheDirt
Adventure Addict

Options for getting your bike back

Forgot to mention, Medjet. They may have an idea of how they ship bikes back from that area, also can't hurt to try Craigslist to ask if anybody is on their way down and has room for the remainders of the bike. Also, I wonder if 1-800 Haul Bikes might have some room in a truck heading down. If you share those pics with them they might be able to help you out. Just my 2.(or maybe 3 or 4).
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #105
LostInTheDirt
Adventure Addict

Laugh Off to inspect the wife's bike

Where's my magnifying glass? The wife and I are about to head cross country starting next week. She'll be on her 03 F650GS. I am going to take a VERY close look at her front end,,er her bike's front end.