ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 683
Tellico Plains TN, Farmhouse Inn, Loop Tracks

I am going to be putting together some tracks of rides centered around Tellico Plains TN. Selfishly because I own the only bed and breakfast inn in town right now, the Farmhouse Inn, but also because I'd generally just like to contribute to the knowledge of the area. These rides are going to be broken down into three types I think, adventure, supermoto, and street only. There are more than a few gpx tracks that go through the area, the TAT, TET, SM500, etc. But if you want to really delve into the area by staying here instead of traveling/packing/unpacking every night, then these tracks should help with your planning.

Adventure loops will be mainly gravel forest and back roads, maybe some odd double track. I prefer doing these routes on my KTM 640 ADV. You could do a lot of these on street-biased adventure bikes too, I guess.

Supermoto loops will be mostly "paved" roads with the odd section of gravel road that will be easily traversed with most street bikes, and easily with supermoto or adventure bikes. Honestly this is my favorite kind of loop, tiny little backroads, often barely one lane wide, on ridges, in valleys, running along creeks, twisty, bumpy... like riding a kiddie rollercoaster ride, just a lot faster. Smaller street bikes (like my 640 Duke, or when I had my MZ Baghira) are a friggin hoot on these type roads, and we have a lot of them around. Definitely not sport bike friendly, unless you just like gettin beat up, your suspension will get a work out.

Street loops will be all paved roads, I'll prolly even route you on "boring" stuff like everybody else knows (Cherohala, Deal's Gap, etc) now and then, but if you want to leave the three-wheelers and cruiser parades behind and travel at your own pace deep into the countryside these loops will focus more on that. You don't need a track to help you find highways 68, 165, 143, 129, or 28..

Kyle

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Starr Mountian Loop_SM

So first up, we have about 100 mile supermoto loop around Starr Mountain. It took me about 4 hours with photo stops and such. As promised, all "paved" except for a few miles of really nice gravel road (Spring Creek Road) between Delano and Reliance. You can always by-pass here by taking Hwy 30 along the south side of the Hiwassee River, and then joining the track again along the north side of the river. You can even get a small water crossing that the locals have made. I've done it on my Multi, no drama. This is true backroad scratching in Monroe, Polk, and McMinn counties. Ridges, valleys, narrow, twisty, bumpy, dogs, cats, turkey, grouse, buzzards, llama, cattle, lots to see, some good photo stops. See the Apalachia power house from the north side of the river. Maybe see the TN Valley scenic RR running.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx StarrLoop_SM.gpx (314.3 KB, 109 views)

Old 07-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
So first up, we have about 100 mile supermoto loop around Starr Mountain. It took me about 4 hours with photo stops and such. As promised, all "paved" except for a few miles of really nice gravel road (Spring Creek Road) between Delano and Reliance. You can always by-pass here by taking Hwy 30 along the south side of the Hiwassee River, and then joining the track again along the north side of the river. You can even get a small water crossing that the locals have made. I've done it on my Multi, no drama. This is true backroad scratching in Monroe, Polk, and McMinn counties. Ridges, valleys, narrow, twisty, bumpy, dogs, cats, turkey, grouse, buzzards, llama, cattle, lots to see, some good photo stops. See the Apalachia power house from the north side of the river. Maybe see the TN Valley scenic RR running.
Here's a pic of the route.
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 08:54 AM
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Snowbird Loop_ADV

Here's a 150+ mile loop through the Snowbird Wilderness, NC. This is an "almost" all day ride. Features the "gravel Cherohala" sections (North River road and FR81), FR304 north of Andrews, then back to Tellico around the Bald River area. Vast majority is gravel roads. FR304 (off Little Snowbird, and hardly on any GPS map databases) is honestly one of the funnest friggin gravel roads around; very lumpy and twisty, rear end sliding potential abounds! Make it from Andrews to Murphy without having to drive one meter on the main highway (all paved tho.)! Go up some steep climbs to some rarely visited balds on the TN/NC line, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx SnowbirdLoop_ADV.gpx (509.0 KB, 107 views)

Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Here's a 150+ mile loop through the Snowbird Wilderness, NC. This is an "almost" all day ride. Features the "gravel Cherohala" sections (North River road and FR81), FR304 north of Andrews, then back to Tellico around the Bald River area. Vast majority is gravel roads. FR304 (off Little Snowbird, and hardly on any GPS map databases) is honestly one of the funnest friggin gravel roads around; very lumpy and twisty, rear end sliding potential abounds! Make it from Andrews to Murphy without having to drive one meter on the main highway (all paved tho.)! Go up some steep climbs to some rarely visited balds on the TN/NC line, etc.
Here's a pic of this loop.
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 08:58 AM
Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
I appreciate you posting up these tracks. Being new to the area I am still finding my around. There are some great routes in this thread as well.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234680
I haven't checked them out yet but plan too soon.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
I appreciate you posting up these tracks. Being new to the area I am still finding my around. There are some great routes in this thread as well.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234680
I haven't checked them out yet but plan too soon.
Indeed, python's route was one of the first I used to check this area out once I got an enduro. I'll incorporate these roads into ADV loops I'll be posting soon too. Python did leave off quite a few decent roads in the immediate area too (I'm sure he knows the roads tho), so hopefully I can make some additional loops to take into account a bit more.

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 05:08 AM
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Starr Mountain, Apalachia, Witt Road ADV

Another adventure ride, about 130 miles long, will take more than half a day. Take in Starr Mountain, Oswald Dome, and see all the Apalachia sites (Apalachia powerhouse, McFarland tunnel ruins, Apalachia Dam). Have a nice view from Buck Bald then finish up on the "world famous" Witt Road, the start of the Trans America Trail. Better be prepared, the tricky tilted limestone bed is the "first" water crossing you come to (there is actually one very small one before it if you are heading north). Of course you could do it the other way round and take a dunk in Conasauga Creek first thing after you've had your coffee.

the route.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx StarrWittADV.gpx (447.2 KB, 63 views)

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 03:50 AM
Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Another adventure ride, about 130 miles long. Take in Starr Mountain, Oswald Dome, and see all the Apalachia sites (Apalachia powerhouse, McFarland tunnel ruins, Apalachia Dam). Have a nice view from Buck Bald then finish up on the "world famous" Witt Road, the start of the Trans America Trail. Better be prepared, the tricky tilted limestone bed is the "first" water crossing you come to (there is actually one very small one before it if you are heading north). Of course you could do it the other way round and take a dunk in Conasagau Creek first thing after you've had your coffee.

the route.
map view
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 09:00 AM
Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Big Frog ADV loop.

Slighly longer adventure loop of about 150 miles (a little bit more pavement). Take in more of the Kimsey Mountain area, see the Olympics white water venue, then down through Big Frog wilderness and back up through Oswald Dome and some great overlooks there. Last time I rode through Big Frog I saw FOUR black bears!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BigFrogADV.gpx (485.0 KB, 56 views)

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 03:14 AM
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #11
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Slighly longer adventure loop of about 150 miles (a little bit more pavement). Take in more of the Kimsey Mountain area, see the Olympics white water venue, then down through Big Frog wilderness and back up through Oswald Dome and some great overlooks there.
map view.
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 09:02 AM
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Citico Supermoto Loop.

Here's another "supermoto" loop, about 95 miles. A few short gravel road sections near Rafter and maybe a little bit on Citico Road too. Take in the narrow twisty gap roads between Tellico Plains and Vonore, then head south and see the Tanasi memorial. Take in a few more narrow valley roads on the edge of the national forest, God's Mountain Retreat (which is right next to Hell's Hole Branch!), then Bald River falls before heading back to Tellico.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CiticoLoop_SM.gpx (239.2 KB, 40 views)

Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Here's another "supermoto" loop, about 95 miles. A few short gravel road sections near Rafter and maybe a little bit on Citico Road too. Take in the narrow twisty gap roads between Tellico Plains and Vonore, then head south and see the Tanasi memorial. Take in a few more narrow valley roads on the edge of the national forest, God's Mountain Retreat (which is right next to Hell's Hole Branch!), then Bald River falls before heading back to Tellico.
map view.
Attached Images

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 09:04 AM
Old 07-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Moose1050
Explorer

Oddometer: 25
This is perfect timing im heading down this weekend for the week

Thanks!!

PS if anyone will be down between the 19th and 26th and want to meet up for a ride shoot my a pm
Moose1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,628
Outstanding. You are an easy day ride from me and this is a good excuse to come up for a couple days! Thanks

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote