ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #151
cody-james
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
does anyone have any other pictures from last sundays ride, thanks - CJ
cody-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #152
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Hulked Up and I have been off in a corner preparing the TMT for release in the Tet thread. We are short some track logs, especially in the Southern section(Connecticut). Do any of you have actual GPS recorded track logs of the entire route?

I have collected and put together everything posted. Anything else, track logs and/or POIs, would be greatly appreciated.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #153
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,736
Hey cody-james...sorry for the delay. Here are my pics from our TMT run. Some might be repeats, possibly from different angles.

Here's the meet-up point at the junction of Route 8 and 20. Eight of us total showed up, seven from this forum and a friend of teutonGS. TeutonGS's friend (sorry I forgot his name) didn't anticipate the cold on the way up and had to change into his thermals. The gas station didn't have a restroom, it had port-a-potties. Maybe it was the smell or maybe it was the thought of accidentally touching something inside the port-a-potty, whatever the reason TuetonGS's friend was in, changed, and out of that booth in mere seconds. Seems he has a skill surpassing that of superman for changing clothes in confined spaces .

Alcontrast was really, really late so we elected him as our "ride guide" as punishment. (In truth he was only a couple minutes late and he was elected our guide because he was the only one who had the route loaded into his GPS)

We were all geared up and ready to go by 9:30 AM. Cody-james turned the key on his KLR and it barely cranked over, then wound down to nothing but clicks. Ct-ktm told him to put it in 2nd while alcontrast and I pushed him across the parking lot. Once he had enough speed, he popped the clutch, the bike fire right up and we were ready to go. Alcontrast led the way.

Our first potty break. We spent about 30 minutes here talking about the run so far, our previous experiences, etc, etc,...basically getting to know one another. Scooterboyusa was the first to be geared up and sat on his bike, waiting patiently. This was to be his theme throughout the ride every time we stopped...I think it was his nice way of saying "Let's ride!".

TeutonGS and his friend's GS's. I love these bikes! I'll probably buy one someday when I get real skills but I can't afford to dump a bike this expensive. I was surprise to find out that mag rims are standard on the GS and spoked rims are actually a $600 option. CT-ktm's DR 650 is in the rear.

Here's our fearless leader's ride. Alcontrast kept the ride at a pace fast enough that you couldn't enjoy the scenery but slow enough where you probably wouldn't die if you slid off the road and hit a tree. We had missed peak foliage and most of the leaves were off the trees anyway, so to hell with the scenery! At one point I think I heard alcontrast say he was just trying to keep ct-ktm off his ass. And us n00bs were all trying to keep pace with them . It was my first time running at that pace on gravel roads with the V-strom, it was scary as hell...and I loved it!

We were getting hungry and alcontrast lead us to this place. It was packed, which was good sign, so we had to wait outside for a bit until they had room for us.

It turned out to be a good time to take some pictures. The two bike's you haven't met yet so far are cody-james' KLR and scooterboyusa's v-strom. Notice that container on the back of cody-james' bike .

Here's my strom next to the mighty beemers. Langer's GS is tricked out with all the gear and farkle needed for a trip across the Bering Strait.

The menu at the restaurant had some odd choices...

I opted for pancakes and a cheese omelet. Langer's went for the corned beef hash but they had just run out. He's the first person I've met beside's myself who actually likes corned beef hash. The food was great.

While we were eating a guy pull up on a KTM 640 Adventure. I had always seen these bikes in pictures on advrider but had never seen one in person (I want one of these now too!). We all wondered if the rider was someone who had seen our post on this thread and was trying to catch up with us. Turns out he was just out riding on his own. He hadn't been on advrider at the time but has since joined up and is known as "El camino de sul".

After we finished lunch, the three beemer's decided to head back home. The trip wasn't over and I was sad to see them go. I asked El camino de sul if he wanted to join us and sure enough he did. Down three riders, up one.

We headed out to finish off the rest of the TMT with alcontrast again in the lead. We ripped through the gravel roads at the same pace as before and the adrenaline started pumping again. El camino del sul had no trouble keeping up and looked to have more skill than I.

Near the end of the TMT we stopped at a gas station to fill up and ct-ktm decided it was time for him to head back home. Damn, we had lost another. Alcontrast lead us through the remaining sections of the TMT: exciting but uneventful.

At the finish of the TMT we had decided to follow a section of the Puppy Dog trail into Vermont. Scooterboyusa took over as ride guide and lead us through some of the best scenery of the trip (or maybe it was just that the trees weren't blurring by anymore like they were when alcontrast was leading ...just kidding alcontrast!).

We eventually came to this covered bridge and stopped to take some pics. Oh, notice that container on cody-james' rack again? That's a five quart jug of oil. Cody's bike was burning oil something fierce and blowing it out of his tailpipe in the form of smoke. It was the running joke of the trip that those of us lucky enough to ride behind cody-james got to bring home a free quart of oil. Of course, we'd have to wring the quart of oil out of our jackets when we got home but it was free nonetheless.

(alcontrast, I know, I know...I stole your pic)

On the other side of the covered bridge we stopped again to take more pics. It took me a while to pull out my camera to snap the shot below....

When I turned around, my party had left me!

They were going so fast I never did catch up with them...."Hey guys! ....was it something I said?!" I turned around and rode home alone.

LOL, that's not how it really ended but I've already made this too long winded and need to head to bed. I really enjoyed the trip and the time spent with everyone who had joined. The TMT is a nice mixture of gravel and tar and I look forward to doing it again in the spring.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt

DariusFriedel screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 08:02 AM
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #154
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
darius

The pictures and story are right on the money. Your observations are correct....to me most of the ride was a blur because I was just trying to keep up. I appreciate that you would hang back at intersections to make sure that I didn't get lost. Sorry we lost you at the end.........

scooterboyusa
scooterboyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #155
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Riding behind that klr was like being behind a 2 stroke..Hahahaha
Excellent ride..!!.nice pics..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #156
cody-james
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
in my defense

My klr rocks... it just really enjoys oil. Its getting repaired now. Thank you for the pop start but I was under the impression you guys would push me the whole way? And thank you for being such good sports about the oil.
cody-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #157
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody-james
My klr rocks... it just really enjoys oil. Its getting repaired now. Thank you for the pop start but I was under the impression you guys would push me the whole way? And thank you for being such good sports about the oil.
LOL, you know we're just messing with ya. Your KLR has character and added some extra adventure to the ride.

BTW, nice reflexes at that one intersection where we almost had a four bike pile up.

You guys who left early missed that excitement: some jerk made a right onto Colrain Rd in Greenfield (the start of the Puppy Dog Trail), with all of us in tow right behind him, then just stopped dead. I'm amazed that we didn't crash into his car, or each other trying to avoid him. It all happened so fast...all I remember is cody's rear tire sliding sidewise as he skidded to a stop--fairly masterful handling if you ask me.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #158
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,509
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #159
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
I posted the link to the TMT file in the second post of the TET thread. Thanks Hulked Up and AugustFalcon for your help.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #160
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,841
Thanks for making this route and sharing it. This is ideal for something I would love to try this summer with my new to me DRZ400.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #161
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Anybody riding it lately?

Meaning, can anybody speak for the condition of the TMAT?

I'd be bringing up the WR on the back of my van to Boston for some visits next week, then dropping it in Greenfield and heading south, but don't want to do it if it's too much of a mess.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #162
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Do you have studded tires...I would bet most of this route is frozen..??..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #163
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
My concerns would be large ice patches and bad mud. Supposedly some
of the roads are officially closed at points in the winter/spring to prevent massive erosion/rutting from vehicles travelling the soft muddy roads during the spring thaw. I would think they would be open in mid winter but I'm not sure.

I rode some unnaintained dirt roads around here in CT last week on a nice 40 degree day and it was all mud and ice. It was fun but slow going. However that was also just a short local ride.
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #164
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Thanks fellas--I needed just a little shove one way or another. Because I'll be so far from home I'll bypass. 'Presheaidit.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #165
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
Well I didn't intend to get you to bail on the idea! I'd still say to go for it! I was/am actually tempted to ride up and meet you halfway or something if your schedule worked with mine....
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote