ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #181
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73
OK, Thanks for the info. I probably will combine it with the puppy dog....just need to get the GPX file for that too.
My .GPX file is here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...55&postcount=6

It combines the Trans Mass and the southern part of the PDR.

Here is a link to the BMW page with various PDR routes

http://www.vtbmwmov.org/rides.html

Most of the Mass route is in the trees with no sweeping views. I remember following some nice streams and a few nice farms. I enjoyed it on my 950 Adventure fully loaded for camping. The Vermont views were better and the roads wider and more traveled in some spots.
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
edfetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #182
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Would you say that this route is doable with a Ural rig?
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #183
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Id say Yes. The only spot I remember that might be a problem is where some big trees are across the road on the Old Rt 9 portion. I checked my pictures, Looks like you could fit under too.
Attached Images

JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #184
scooterboyusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
trans mass

When we rode the trail in October those trees had been removed however just past that area it was a little sketchy with run-off running down the middle of the trail. This area is easily by-passed if you need to.

scooterboyusa screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 04:49 AM
scooterboyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #185
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz
My .GPX file is here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...55&postcount=6

It combines the Trans Mass and the southern part of the PDR.

Here is a link to the BMW page with various PDR routes

http://www.vtbmwmov.org/rides.html

Most of the Mass route is in the trees with no sweeping views. I remember following some nice streams and a few nice farms. I enjoyed it on my 950 Adventure fully loaded for camping. The Vermont views were better and the roads wider and more traveled in some spots.
very cool, thanks.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #186
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Had to do my run today...MoKid got sick and we left a day early, so I made my run today.

Got a few miles in a bailed. I was on a bit of a schedule and had my first off about 1/2 mile in from the "this road not maintained" sign. No time to be paddling and I didn't stud up.

So, I set the GPS for 'shortest', avoid major, avoid medium and prefer minor and had an OK run to Winchester, CT.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #187
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
How are things shaping up on the TMT? Snow? Mud? Is the frost out of the ground yet? Do you think it would be ride-able April 1st? I'm not a big fan of deep mud, so I'd want the dirt portions to be fairly solid.

Thanks!
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #188
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Cry

I was out on some of the roads on Friday afternoon, before the 2 days of rain. The well traveled roads were okay, with some muddy spots. (forget about the ones that are not maintained in the winter - they are still covered in snow) There is still plenty of snow in the woods up here (I live at the northern end of the Trail.). The southern end may be better. I don't think we have yet seen the worst of the mud season.

It's hard to say how things will be by April 1. I would plan on some mud. I'm also not sure of the storm and (recent) wind damage.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #189
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up
I was out on some of the roads on Friday afternoon, before the 2 days of rain. The well traveled roads were okay, with some muddy spots. (forget about the ones that are not maintained in the winter - they are still covered in snow) There is still plenty of snow in the woods up here (I live at the northern end of the Trail.). The southern end may be better. I don't think we have yet seen the worst of the mud season.

It's hard to say how things will be by April 1. I would plan on some mud. I'm also not sure of the storm and (recent) wind damage.
I'm thinking spring skiing might be the way to go here

Thanks for the update Hulk.
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #190
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,062
I was riding some of the "Not maintained in Winter" roads in SW Mass over the weekend and they are still very muddy in places. Deep ruts too.
(This was one of the easier sections - I was too busy riding to get pictures in the slippery parts.)

Even with full knobbies it was tricky in places. The 2" of rain we got last night will keep it muddy for about another week.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #191
toast06gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I know it's out here somewhere if I had any decent search skills, but can anyone point me to a more detailed map of the route? I think I've confirmed about 70% of the route based on the general map on p.1 of this thread, but not sure about some of the portions in the north half. I'm still old-school (non-GPS) trying to nail down the route on section maps. Thanks ahead.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #192
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast06gsa
I know it's out here somewhere if I had any decent search skills, but can anyone point me to a more detailed map of the route? I think I've confirmed about 70% of the route based on the general map on p.1 of this thread, but not sure about some of the portions in the north half. I'm still old-school (non-GPS) trying to nail down the route on section maps. Thanks ahead.

You can open the gpx file with google earth.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #193
toast06gsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
You can open the gpx file with google earth.
Thanks! Sorry for not seeing that elsewhere.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #194
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboyusa
I would venture to say that a number of the cabins on the Green River Road are weekend or summer retreats. I may be wrong but that's my speculation.
No sir. In fact, my uncle owned one of those cabins for a number of years and lived there year round. I lived there for 6 months, until I moved over the hill. Most of those houses and cabins are perm residents.

Them's are my stompin grounds from when I was but a boy.

So, if I see a group looking to go through there again, I will jump on the GS and head out with you if time provides. FYI - Colrain is over 43 SqMi by area in Massachusetts. So, this means you could literally spend a day riding Colrain on dirt if you know the lay out.

Colrain is wrought with fantastic dirt roads and vistas. If you are open to a bit of pavement to get to a different area, there is the Catamount State Park off Route 112 in Colrain. I have not been there in a few years, so I not sure of the condition of the road leading up, but there was a pretty aggressive road leading up to the top of Catamount where you will find McLeod Pond at the top. It is great conoeing so be sure to throw your canoe on the bike before you go.

At the beginning of Green River Road you will see a complex, it used to be a lumber mill. It was owned by the Chief of Police Russell Denison - he gave it to the NRA, and they own it now. Just a bit of local info there You may notice the remains of a damn right there too. That was a log damn to stop the lumber that came down the river, so they could pull it out to process.

If you head left up the hill rather than go straight down Green River Road, you will end up at the Bapstist Orchards. No they are not marked as that, but trust me. Sadly, there are deer fences so, you can't pick any apples. If you keep following that road and never take a left, you will end up at teh same covered bridge as if you went straight down Green River Road. I personally prefer this route because it is a bit more remote, and mildly more challenging. Although Green River Road gives you some great views on the river and is very peaceful. I have seen all kinds of wildlife up here, silver, and red foxes, bear, deer, moose, turkley, grousse, coyote. Note my comment about orchard trucks in autumn (below).

The Covered Bridge at the top of Green River Road is a great swimming hole as well. If, at the covered bridge, you go up the hill rather than over the bridge, you will find some great dirt roads up there, as well as some hero trails (logging roads). There are a couple of apple orchards up there as well. Just beware in the fall. The orchard trucks own those roads, meaning they bomb down those roads with no fear. Colrain is a big apple town, so autumn on dirt roads in Colrain can be dangerous .

If you do go over the bridge, you will be in Guilford, VT. Depending on the direction you go (straight or left) you may go to Jacksoville, VT or Brattleborough, VT. My sister lives right in the center of Jacksonville, adn once again, I could prolly get them to put folks up on their lands for a night. It is not as scenic as the Green River location, but it is right in town and not too far off the trail. There is a General store in the center of Jacksonville, and they have a great Angus Beef selection, as well as a decent local beer, and wine selection. Jacksonville is host to a cider winery right in the center - their wine isn't half bad either ;)
If you choose to go to Brat. This is a more populated area, and dirt roads get harder to find. That said, Brat. is a great town to gas up, and get a phenominal lunch. Brat. is a very "nutsy twiggy" town, so organic and all natural foods are abound, but don't ignore that with tasteless or palateless food. The people in this area have mastered eating healthy.

Depending on what you are riding, and how adventurous you are, there are some trails out there that are great riding for the XR/KTM style of bike. I am not going to take my R1150GS down these trails. Just make sure to be respectful of the locals and don't tear anything up, or make too much noise, and they won't bother you. I have been thinking of getting another XR - prolly a 650 to haul my adult laiden carcass. If I do, I can lead a trail ride out there some day.

If some of you are looking for a camp spot on Green River Road in Colrain, my uncle's best friend owns a spot there right on the river across from the log cabin my uncle used to own. I am sure I could hook a small group up if they would like. It is a good swimming hole, and the trout fishing there is great. The Green River is the only "Class A" river in Mass. Meaning it is the only pristine river in Mass.

I saw something mentioned earlier in the thread about not tearing up the roads - yeah, the locals do live on these roads, and the roads are prone to wash outs and erosion. You will find the locals to be some of the most decent people you could ever meet, but they quickly become intolerant of yahoos tearing up their roads - lol. As a point, I went to Mohawk Trail Regional H.S., this is a 9 town regional school, so I had to get up at 5:30 am to get on a "feeder bus" (surburban) to meet another bus, and then a third bus. School was open pretty much regardless of weather, so those roads are very important. Also consider my feeder bus driver would have a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I'm not sure how she navigated those dirt roads at 60 miles an hour while smoking, drinkng, and singing Stevie Wonder songs. So, if you tear them up, you will make that morning bus ride even more harrowing for the kids.

I used to terrorize the area with my XR250R and some of my friends on their bikes when I was a kid, and the cops actually created a "task force" to catch us and put a stop to it. So beware the local authorities. The police chief is a butcher, or at least he was, last I knew.

I am trying to dig up my old Garmin to see if I can download the maps and upload to see your route. I am interested to see how you get up into Franklin County.

Anyways, if there are any questions about this leg of the TMT, consider me the local source for info, and feel free to PM me for answers.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #195
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Andy. Good info...
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires