ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #241
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1
I am thinking we can either start of around 10 AM, finish the ride, have lunch somewhere and head back.
Which way do you want to run it? I might be interested in doing some, from South to North. (post it for others and PM me please, as I might not come back to this thread in time....)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #242
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Cool Pics and an even cooler bike . Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will just go ahead and try it out. But more is always better (or is it??)

The problem is I have a Garmin 265WT and I am not sure if I can load the maps into it. Any GPS gurus out there? I will need to try loading it tomorrow.

BTW, how long does it take to complete the TMT route from South to north? I think I read that it takes about 3 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdesign
Wish I could make it. If you don't find a riding buddy don't hesitate to do it alone. Almost all of the TMT is on maintained dirt roads. They're fun, and beautiful, but not technically challenging. You'll have a ball and at no point will you get anywhere near over your head. I did it last week on my F800GS with road tires no problem.

If you can load the route into your GPS and don't have off road mode, try setting the nav calculation to shortest distance. That should keep you on the preferred route most of the time.

Here are some photos from the TMT last weekend.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/album...2679102913#map
I didn't take a lot of shots so this shows just a small section of the trail. It should give you an idea of what the terrain is like.

The photos of the closed bridge are on Parish road which is not part of the TMT. The TMT tries to put you onto John Yale road which is about 1/2 mile to the east.

I chose Parish road because it was a broken line on my GPS map and wanted to see if there was a trail to connect it through. When I got to the broken part of the line I found this closed bridge. It was clearly unsafe for cars but I got across on my bike without a problem.

Have fun.
-Mick

fizzerfz1 screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 08:33 AM
fizzerfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #243
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, But I am more worried about breaking down alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Isn't Trans-Mass just about all road? (Dirt road, but that's still road to me.)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #244
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

I was thinking of running from South to North. I will PM you shortly. Meanwhile if others are interested, please post up or PM me.

Quote:
Which way do you want to run it? I might be interested in doing some, from South to North. (post it for others and PM me please, as I might not come back to this thread in time....)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #245
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Cool Pics and am even cooler bike . Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will just go ahead and try it out. But more is always better (or is it??)

The problem is I have a Garmin 265WT and I am not sure if I can load the maps into it. Any GPS gurus out there? I will need to try loading it tomorrow.

BTW, how long does it take to complete the TMT route from South to north? I think I read that it takes about 3 hours
Haha. I usually prefer to ride alone. I get on my bike to get away from people.

I think you could do it in 3 hrs but I'd allow more time. I took about 4 to do it but I explored a few side roads.

There was one part that was particularly nice, I'm pretty sure it was called Curtain road or something.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #246
viverrid
not dead yet

GPS - Info Tech Ignorant

Heh heh, well I have a GPS (Zumo 550). I've never downloaded anything to it.

I have a data card for it. Never used it. (It's 2GB, is that okay?)

I don't have any mapping software.

So will I be able to put the card in the Zumo, cable the Zumo to the computer, turn the Zumo on and then "just" download to it as a device?

I guess I'm gonna find out in a little while, when I try to do it!

(I'm an old route sheet guy. I used to trailboss the 3-State Dualsport, as a route-sheeted event.)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #247
viverrid
not dead yet

Data processing help! ?!

Okay so I hooked up my Zumo (with data card in it) to the comp and the comp recognized it as a device.

But the link in Post 1 wouldn't go through.

The link in Post 36 did. The comp screen displayed a whole buncha lines. But I don't know what I am supposed to download.....

What do I do?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #248
bthebert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Vince:

MapSource is a free download from Garmin.

Once you have that installed, OPEN the .gpd/.gpx file for whatever trip interests you. Then use "Transfer to Device" to send whatever bits you wish to the GPS. ("Bits" = waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.)

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

And yes, the Trans Mass Trail is all road.
2008 WR250R

Coast to Coast x 2
bthebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #249
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthebert
Vince:

MapSource is a free download from Garmin.
Well okay, got it.

But I still don't know how to download the Trans Mass Trail off of the interweb.

P.S. - How ya doin' with your injuries there, buddy?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #250
bthebert
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well okay, got it.

But I still don't know how to download the Trans Mass Trail off of the interweb.

P.S. - How ya doin' with your injuries there, buddy?
I'm peachy.

Isn't the trail file just an "attachment" back at the beginning of this thread?

If not, PM me a current email address and I'll send you the copy I snagged a few weeks back.

Edit: I see. The link in the first post is sorta buggered up. Corrected Link
2008 WR250R

Coast to Coast x 2
Old 09-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #251
viverrid
not dead yet

Well my problem is, I easily downloaded & saved the file to my computer, and I think I even copied it to my GPS. However it saved as a .hml or sumthin' like that. All I know is, when I try to go to Tracks on the GPS, it says there aren't any, and asks me if I want to start one.

So I don't know what I'm doing. Doing I need to import/export it through the Mapsource program? I just saved it right to my disk.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #252
bthebert
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well my problem is, I easily downloaded & saved the file to my computer, and I think I even copied it to my GPS. However it saved as a .hml or sumthin' like that. All I know is, when I try to go to Tracks on the GPS, it says there aren't any, and asks me if I want to start one.

So I don't know what I'm doing. Doing I need to import/export it through the Mapsource program? I just saved it right to my disk.
Save the .GPX file.

Save it *as* a .GPX file.

Or let me email it to you. Not sure if your browser is altering the file somehow or not.

Open the file in MapSource. It contains two waypoints, one route, and one track.

In MapSource, with your GPS connected, select "Transfer" > "Send to Device".

Dialogs will open to confirm WHICH device you wish to send to, and which pieces (waypoints, tracks or routes -- or all of the above) you wish to send.

The Zumo isn't as good as other GPS units at displaying/following tracks. For that I use my GPSMap 76Cx. Should have no trouble with the "route" file, though.

I actually created two new routes: TMT_N2S and TMT_S2N, so that I could run the route in either direction, "North to South" and "South to North". I could send you those, too, if you like.
2008 WR250R

Coast to Coast x 2
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #253
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Cool Pics and an even cooler bike . Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will just go ahead and try it out. But more is always better (or is it??)
How'd it go?
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #254
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

I couldn't make it. Bummer. Me & Viverrid were planning in it and couldn't figure out how to load the .gpx into our stupid GPSs. Ended up going for a ride with my wifey on my non-dual-sport bike. Had fun though.

Same this week went for a 5+ hour ride on Saturday, mostly in NH and I think I touched Vermont at some point.

The Boston thread is putting one up in Middleboro this coming weekend. Maybe I will try that.

The issue with TMT is I have a 2 hour ride to get to starting point and two hours ride back + the TMT ride and my seat is just above average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdesign
How'd it go?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #255
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
Thinking of doing this this weekend. I wonder how the roads are?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote