ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up
..... I would encourage people to look over the route and suggest or make changes to it. I would consider my draft a first step.
I am familiar with the southern half since I trailboss the BTRA Berkshire Dualsport Ride and we use a lot of those roads. Some of your pics are in my neighborhood, more or less. Seems like a pretty good route. I am not familiar with the norther MA portion.

There is a dirt road CT/MA border crossing just east of where Rte 183 crosses, and you could still connect to Fox Rd. and resume your route. The road doesn't appear on most maps (it looks like a relatively recent "improvement") but it is a town-maintained dirt road that connects two paved roads. It is not any "better" a route but if you wanna cross the border on dirt, you can.

Everybody please keep in mind that many of the dirt roads are lightly travelled residential areas with low speed limits; in some cases the houses are close to the road and people won't appreciate bikes ripping past their house at high speeds. When we do the dualsport we ask the riders to be considerate of the neighbors in the inhabited areas. We send a LOT of bikes through at once but try to obtain tolerance for it as a charity event and it's "just for one day". Our club regularly rides in the same area and we don't want hostility to develop towards motorcycles. At least the loud pipe Harleys mostly stay off the dirt roads!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #17
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
If anyone is interested...

I may try this route this coming Sunday (the 7th).. This Thread in Regional pertains to that..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379998

And Viverrid, we will be respectfull of teh neighbors and neigborhood areas..

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
And Viverrid, we will be respectfull of teh neighbors and neigborhood areas..
Hey thanks, sorry if I was preachy. Just that I live here and want to keep riding (and keep putting on events) without hassles.

-V.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #19
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Hey thanks, sorry if I was preachy. Just that I live here and want to keep riding (and keep putting on events) without hassles.

-V.
No apology needed... and I did NOT take it as preachy.. we all need to be aware and share thoughts that will preserve our right to ride..

I just wanted to acknowledge to you that I heard, understaood and felt the same way...

I have (so far) had great luck with locals, especially by slowing in neighborhoods and by waving as I pass them.. most smile and wave back..

Pat in NH
Old 09-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
viverrid
not dead yet

possible route adjustment

When coming up Rte 183, before you get to the MA line, an option is to turn right on Wolfords Hill Rd. (small bridge right at Rte 183) then left on Prock Hill Rd. Prock Hill Rd. will be paved at that point, but then turns into a maintained dirt road (easily rideable by V-Strom) and goes through to New Hartford Rd.

Every map that I have seen, including the one in my Zumo, shows Prock Hill as dead ending before the MA line, but indeed it goes all the way through. Then you can continue up New Hartford Rd. and turn right on Fox Rd. to resume the established route.

Prock Hill Rd. itself branches directly off of Rte 183 further south but is just a paved residential road and of no advantage (IMHO) over Rte 183, thus the suggestion to continue up 183 to Wolfords.

Local trivia: a Hare Scramble was held on a camp property that is located at the end of a dead end extending off the other side of Prock Hill Rd. (I rode in it.) However, a promoter of quad events got in there and allegedly ruined it for everyone by promoting events that left the property in an attempt to connect over to MA trails. This didn't fly with the CT locals and I don't know if the camp is used for any riding events any more.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #21
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thanks Vince. I may have been on Prock Hill Road when I did my exploring, but as you mentioned all the maps indicate it's a dead-end road. I don't know how to construct a route in Mapsource that has an off-road section. Maybe we can check it out on Saturday and fix the file.

Thanks for the local knowledge.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
Tsumerix
Riding as you Read

Oddometer: 134
Thanks for all the work.

This looks like the perfect start for my new 08' GS out of Boston.

I also grabbed those Rubel maps you refer too... Big thanks for that.

Tsumerix screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 06:36 PM
Tsumerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
Rovernutt
The best 1x2xfar?

Oddometer: 13
GoogleMaps & MapMyRide

I downloaded HulkedUp's original GPX, but there were a few areas that were sparse of waypoints.
So I guessed on a few of the turns, drew it up on MapMyRide then exported the KML & put it on Google Maps so that anyone can edit it. Feel free to correct/modify/annotate the Gmap!

The track is attached...

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: gpx trans_mass route.gpx (7.1 KB, 518 views)
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #24
fast*st
Dirt rookie.

Oddometer: 155
Jammin stuff there, still following along.

I'm going to go for a walk next week to rescout some of my old backwoods riding trails, I know one has a house in it now. My new backing comes from the federal 'rails to trails' program where pretty much every state has enacted a 'recreational use' clause for state and private property owners, limiting liability. Massachusetts, General Law c. 21 sec. 17C
Might put folks more at ease about allowing passage.
fast*st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #25
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovernutt
I downloaded HulkedUp's original GPX, but there were a few areas that were sparse of waypoints.
So I guessed on a few of the turns, drew it up on MapMyRide then exported the KML & put it on Google Maps so that anyone can edit it. Feel free to correct/modify/annotate the Gmap!
Gary,

I'm not sure what is up with my original GPS file. Some of the sections are not listed as roads, which gave me issues in constructing the file. I looked over what you did and it looks spot-on. Thanks.

Keith
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
gillbilly
Z-Man

Oddometer: 15
File Down-loading trouble

The .gpx attachment shows on my screen with an "X" in a red box over the file. Can I change a setting that allows me to download the file?

Thanks,
Z-man
gillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
When I click the link everything works fine.... just click save.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as where to continue this route heading north? I'm trying to plan a 2-3 day route heading north and circling around then returning home to the Cape. I'm gonna try to avoid as much super slab as possible.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #28
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
When I click the link everything works fine.... just click save.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as where to continue this route heading north? I'm trying to plan a 2-3 day route heading north and circling around then returning home to the Cape. I'm gonna try to avoid as much super slab as possible.
The TMT leads right into the VT Puppy Dog trail... That is a good route and you can take it up to almost the Canada border...

Pat in NH
Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #29
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thumb Ride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyNH
The TMT leads right into the VT Puppy Dog trail... That is a good route and you can take it up to almost the Canada border...

Pat in NH
I have ridden the Puppy Dog ride both South to north and North to South. The BMW MOV club honors this accomplishment with a " Got Done " pin with the MOV logo on it .

John Thurber from the MOV and a few other guys laid out the Southern section of this ride . I wrote John this a.m to see if he would be interested in adding some hero sections and possible re-route of the current ride.

Way back when , there were maps of trails and DR that were used to link all the New England States so facilitate the Ride -in for the annual meeting of the NETRA New England Trail Riders Association.

I plan to try this ride in the later part of Spring 2009 . Right after Mud season . I would be glad to lead a group to Allis State Park and do the Northeren section as well if there was interest. A few years ago the Puppy Dog ride. Definitely a mild ride, turned into something entirely different after three days of hard rain. Even full knobbies would have been a handful. One participant went down three times in the slop. I mention this because a ride that even a touring BMW could do in the dry was virtually an Enduro after the rain.

FYI I have been riding in the dirt for thirty five years. Current bikes 2001 BMW Dakar and a 2008 KTM 690 Enduro . I have a lot of experience leading small groups at your pace. If any of the posters here are interested in joining me send me a e-mail or reply here.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #30
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
PM sent, Veesquared!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote