ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #286
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldog13 View Post
My son and I really want to do the Trans-Mass trail ride before the season ends (actually it is snowing here right now). I am ready to order a Garmin , probably the 76cx. I also would need the RAM mount for the handlebar. Am I correct that to load the GPS unit with Hulked Up's files that I first would need to buy maps and install them? If so, what maps and where do I get them? Mail order or off the web? Is there anything else for the GPS that I would need to be ready to do the Trans-Mass trail?
Thanks for any help that you can give me,
Jim

Technically, you don't have to have a mapset at all. I wouldn't recommend it, but with the Trans-Mass file you simply get a bread crumb path to follow that will show with or without a map on your gps.

You can get free mapsets for most garmin devices at GPSFileDepot. Some are good, some are not so good. Few are road routable. But, you can load the Massachusetts Topo for free, and have most roads shown on your gps.

For less than a C note, you can get a copy of CNNA NT and be able to road route (i.e. pick a point and have the gps follow roads to get there). Only buy the DVD. That will let you get to Starbucks, the nearest Holiday Inn, and the sometimes important waypoint "home".

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #287
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,507
planning to attempt the tmt / puppy dog route this coming weekend (Nov 4th - 6th, 2011) and I was wondering if anyone up there in Western MA or southern VT could give a first hand report of what the situation is like up there.. Once you get electrical service back again of course!

will those dirt roads be cleared of downed trees by the weekend or is that being wildly optimistic?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #288
Mr Bill
Old Dog

Oddometer: 139
Talking No more snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
planning to attempt the tmt / puppy dog route this coming weekend (Nov 4th - 6th, 2011) and I was wondering if anyone up there in Western MA or southern VT could give a first hand report of what the situation is like up there.. Once you get electrical service back again of course!

will those dirt roads be cleared of downed trees by the weekend or is that being wildly optimistic?

Bring your chain saw and report back to us how much you get cleared

Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #289
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

No chainsaw but I could strap an axe to my bike. Bushwacking our way through the tmt/pdr makes it more of an adventure right?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #290
dudedude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
TMT/PDR this weekend!

Hey! I'll be rolling up the same way this weekend. Hopefully I'll see you on the way with (also hopefully) not-too-much bushwacking. Otherwise we'll find out how many trees I can hack up with my leatherman.

Quote:
No chainsaw but I could strap an axe to my bike. Bushwacking our way through the tmt/pdr makes it more of an adventure right?
dudedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #291
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

nice dudedude... We'll be heading out on the trans mass trail (or whats left of it) from Winsted CT sometime friday morning.. Morning may be innacurate; before noon hopefully.. No plan other than that..

We'll be riding north and see how it goes.. There's about a 90% chance I actually will be strapping this item to my bike:

keep your eyes open for an F650gs and a DR650..

Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #292
dudedude
Adventurer

See ya out there!

Note to self: Slow down when you see the axe-swinging bikers in the woods. Makes perfect sense.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #293
JMD0261
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I typically ride with an axe on long rides. They built New England in the 1600's with axes and I consider it standard on my packing list.
JMD0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #294
BBDig
n00b

Oddometer: 7
A folding saw works better then an axe
BBDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #295
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

we didn't need an axe anywhere along the ride.. If we could have carried a bridge that would have been useful up in vt but overall the roads were great.. I can post some video later.

along the Trans-Mass Trail the only spot we had a little trouble was a washout around a culvert on Curtin Road but it looks like it's may be repaired in the near future if they get to it before winter..

Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #296
dudedude
Adventurer

Quote:
we didn't need an axe anywhere along the ride.. If we could have carried a bridge that would have been useful up in vt but overall the roads were great.. I can post some video later.

along the Trans-Mass Trail the only spot we had a little trouble was a washout around a culvert on Curtin Road but it looks like it's may be repaired in the near future if they get to it before winter..
Shame we didn't run into each other out there. Did you end up staying the night at Brattleboro? I could've sworn I saw a F650 and a DR parked on main street on Friday.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #297
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

we spent friday night in Fort Dummer state park (Brattleboro area) and had dinner that night at the Indian place in Brattleboro just off main st; India Palace according to google maps but we definitely parked the bikea on main st..

I think you may have been a little ahead of us friday since we got a late start.. Someone on a DS bike was a little ahead of us through the Curtin road section and again in that unmaintained partially paved "river road" section near route 9.. I assume anyone riding those two sections solo must have been on a TMT ride....

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #298
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

video snipits of the ride last weekend

an overloaded f6650gs and a DR650, camping two nights in empty VT state parks, great weather, just a little cold at times..

Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #299
Scotty J
Obedient Consumer

Oddometer: 268
I ran the TMT (North to South) on Saturday. The snow's all gone and the Culvert at Curtin road (around waypoint 0691) is still a mess. Otherwise, it was an easy day. Big thanks to the builders of the GPX file! I had zero problems with navigation.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #300
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 394
Roll Charts?

Gonna try TMT-PDR this weekend-next week. Out of curiosity, does anyone have roll chart directions for the Trans-Mass? I have the Puppy Dog Route all set, I was just hoping to have a backup for the whole thing. I'm going to try to prove I can do it all with phone gps, but just in case...
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N
p_funk is online now   Reply With Quote