ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #301
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 297
Fixed

The washout on Curtin Road is now fixed. There are still signs that say road closed, but the washout has been filled.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #302
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,071
It's getting close for my annual spring ride on the TMT.I just got some new tires on the 800GS and am ready to go.

Maybe in the next 2 weeks.

Anybody ready?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #303
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,533
spring ride!

I'm interested!

I'm subscribed to this thread or you can PM me with your plans but what sort of ride do you have in mind? Long day trip, weekend ride, northbound/southbound/both, etc.. How do you feel about going around gates on roads that may be officially "closed" for the mud season? etc...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #304
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
I'm interested!

I'm subscribed to this thread or you can PM me with your plans but what sort of ride do you have in mind? Long day trip, weekend ride, northbound/southbound/both, etc.. How do you feel about going around gates on roads that may be officially "closed" for the mud season? etc...
A day trip sounds good. I don't remember any gates. I did see signs that said closed but they were up all year.

I'll be in touch.

With somebody else along I'll ride any road so if we get stuck ....

I may also get one of these http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-34...ystem-mrs.aspx
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #305
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 400
Yeah?

I too am in if invited. A week's notice and I can get most days off. I did the TMAT-Puppy dog last year but cheated myself out of a good bit of lower TMAT. While I've never seen that bestrest bag in real life, it's a real simple setup that you can easily piece together for less than half of that price...Still I understand paying for a great idea\. It looks like it works on a 3:1 z-rig (commonly used in Fire/Rescue) and a pair of prusik-minding pulleys. Now that I write all this I may make one of my own as I got stuck in some mud for 5+ hours a few weeks ago.
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N
p_funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #306
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but you'll likely find snow/ice and mud on some of the roads, even in a couple of weeks. Before we got the 8" of snow 10 days ago I was finding impassible ice on some of the well traveled dirt roads in Franklin County. The Class IV roads have (of course) not been maintained and they are in the woods without a lot of sunlight so the snow hasn't been cleared. It'll still be a good trip, but be prepared that you might have to turn around.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #307
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_funk View Post
I too am in if invited. A week's notice and I can get most days off. I did the TMAT-Puppy dog last year but cheated myself out of a good bit of lower TMAT. While I've never seen that bestrest bag in real life, it's a real simple setup that you can easily piece together for less than half of that price...Still I understand paying for a great idea\. It looks like it works on a 3:1 z-rig (commonly used in Fire/Rescue) and a pair of prusik-minding pulleys. Now that I write all this I may make one of my own as I got stuck in some mud for 5+ hours a few weeks ago.
Yea I looked into making my own too but the rescue-quality prusik-minding pulleys were $50 each and by the time you added everything up it was over $200. Plus I don't know how to set it up and it comes with a handy instruction card !
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #308
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up View Post
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but you'll likely find snow/ice and mud on some of the roads, even in a couple of weeks. Before we got the 8" of snow 10 days ago I was finding impassible ice on some of the well traveled dirt roads in Franklin County. The Class IV roads have (of course) not been maintained and they are in the woods without a lot of sunlight so the snow hasn't been cleared. It'll still be a good trip, but be prepared that you might have to turn around.
Hi Keith

Your right. When I first got the 800GSI went out in March and I had to turn around but I also had the stock tires on. That's why I thinking with a few more people would be better. Plus we all do things in groups that we wouldn't do by ourselves

I'm not sure that is always a good thing!!

Are you interested ? I can do Friday,Saturday or Sundays.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #309
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,153
If it is a day ride on a sunday, I may be interested in tagging along with you guys.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #310
RidingUpAndDown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA View Post
Yea I looked into making my own too but the rescue-quality prusik-minding pulleys were $50 each and by the time you added everything up it was over $200. Plus I don't know how to set it up and it comes with a handy instruction card !

Guys, this may be an option: http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull

Was looking to try and build my own but then found this:

The EZ Pull™ is an ultra compact block & tackle system. It is ideal for the hunter, outdoorsman, adventure motorcycle enthusiast, etc. This block and tackle unit is small enough to fit into a pocket or small toolkit.
The EZ Pull™ is proudly engineered, machined and assembled in the USA.

Kit information:
    • Capacity: 500 lbs with 5:1 reduction ration
    • Can be configured for other ratios less than 5:1
    • 48' of Spectra® cable give 9' of pull
    • Weight: less than 0.5 lbs
Price: $89.00

Regards, dean

Chargoggagogg-manchauggagogg-chaubunagungamaugg

RidingUpAndDown screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 05:22 AM
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #311
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,533
Hulked up had some good points (see my video from October) about lingering snow and ice being an issue but I think RedRider may have had a better point, "we all do things in groups that we wouldn't do by ourselves"!

The way I see it is we go for a ride and worst case scenario we get turned back a few times, look for detours, and perhaps we don't make it as far as we intended.. that's fine by me, we're still out riding!!

I would also be interested in a Saturday/Sunday two day ride, camping somewhere Saturday night. If there's any interest in that idea post it up here.... If it's a weekend I can get away I'm down to ride!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #312
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,307
Absolutely fellas...this is from late Feb 2010...I thought I could run parts, but there was snow on this into the end of March:

[IMG]http:/ http://m.flickr.com/photos/morriswf/4347143975/in/set-72157629020969689/[/IMG]
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #313
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingUpAndDown View Post
Guys, this may be an option: http://www.adventureengineering.com/...oducts/ez-pull

Was looking to try and build my own but then found this:

The EZ Pull™ is an ultra compact block & tackle system. It is ideal for the hunter, outdoorsman, adventure motorcycle enthusiast, etc. This block and tackle unit is small enough to fit into a pocket or small toolkit.
The EZ Pull™ is proudly engineered, machined and assembled in the USA.

Kit information:
    • Capacity: 500 lbs with 5:1 reduction ration
    • Can be configured for other ratios less than 5:1
    • 48' of Spectra® cable give 9' of pull
    • Weight: less than 0.5 lbs
Price: $89.00

Regards, dean

The price looks good.

I never used something like this so I'm looking at the details the manufacture supplies. The Bestrest one has 60' of rope and a 10' strap so 70' you can be away from your tie down point. The Adventure eng one has 48' of heavy duty cord that is thin and may cut your hand, maybe just keep your gloves on.

Will the 5:1 or 3:1 make a difference on a narrow trail?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #314
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
The price looks good.

I never used something like this so I'm looking at the details the manufacture supplies. The Bestrest one has 60' of rope and a 10' strap so 70' you can be away from your tie down point. The Adventure eng one has 48' of heavy duty cord that is thin and may cut your hand, maybe just keep your gloves on.

Yeah it'll make a difference. As a general rule, the average person is accountable for 50lbs of force. (Usually underestimating, but it keeps the numbers safe.) This will of course go up as the sun sets and you realize how much you want tour bike to not be on its side in a ditch anymore. 50lbs on a 3:1 like the z-rig the Bestrest gives you 150# of pulling force, 5:1 on the other hand, 250#. Also as you go up in ratio, you need longer rope. Looks like the new one is just a pair of pulleys and cord. I'm gonna price out some stuff to make a kit today. I'll let yall know.
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N
p_funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #315
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
The price looks good.

sorry for adding to the thread hijack...

Here's what I carry:

50' of 3/8" rope, carabiners, a couple of rope slings and a 5 to 1 block and tackle (with about 5' of take up). It has come in handy a couple of times when conditions were such that I could not get my Dakar up by myself. I work with this stuff so I had it all on hand, probably about $90 if you had to purchase all the components. I won't be pulling myself out of any canyons with this setup, but it is sufficient for my needs. I am going to add a couple of strong/lightweight stakes for when there are no trees around.

Looking forward to riding the TMT soon...