ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #61
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
saw your tracks

but you guys got up ahead of us and we were going slow. We got a later than planned start on friday and camped just a little ways north of the MA border in Otis. The next day we didn't get on the road/trail until after 11am and had a leisurely day up to the end, then west to North Adams and down to Mt Greylock to do the auto road. We then camped south of Greylock and had a leisurely ride back home today.

we got dumped on Friday afternoon before camping. The roads were good, even in the heavy rain, with just a couple of slick spots but not big puddles or mud bogs to deal with at all.. The thing that slowed us down the most was our limited visibility in the heavy rains.. I think this photo was from around 7 pm when we were looking to find a campground in the area.

The next morning the rain had stoped and we awoke to some nice cloudy skies..

The roads were nice. Nothing too challenging, certainly worthy of a puppy dog rating.. This is about as bad as they get..

easy riding..

That is until you get to the trees..

had a lunch at this place which suited my veggie apetite well (with plenty of options for the carnivores)..

obligatory photo with giant indian on the way to North Adams

and a shot from the Mt Greylock auto road. The road was closed for a few years but it's open now and it is a nice ride up although they are going to stat charging $2 to park at the top. I wouldn't bother if I were you. With the paying that is. The ride up is totally worth doing.
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #62
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb

That's too bad about Old Route 9; that was one of the nicer (but short) sections of the whole route. That road hasn't been maintained in decades and it still has the original guard cables on the shoulder. At least it's an easy ride around.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #63
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Start suggestion?

Is the "Start" still in "downtown" Winsted?

Would you consdier this suggestion: move it to the Shell station at the corner of Rte 8 and Smith Hill Rd. A roomier location a mile or two north of Rte 44. Take Smith Hill over to Colebrook and pick up the rest of the route. More rural going over Smith Hill than going down the main street in Winsted.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #64
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just put the start at the gas station at 44 and 8 because of convenience. I think most people are coming off one of those two roads anyway. But the other gas station certainly makes sense too.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #65
BBQer
Who Me

Oddometer: 778
Hulked Up - thanks for laying this out. The basic route was fun and really big bike friendly, which I think is the name of the game for routes like this.
Maybe think of this as a route in progress, you, or someone familiar with the area, can always tweak it, add hero's etc.
Matter of fact I understand the trail boss of the Berkshire DS may have time on his hands next year .
veesquared and myself actually spent a bit of time in Canton cycles at what we thought was the start, had a good time BSing with the owner. It was interesting to hear his take on why he no longer sells BMW's.
640 Adventure
250 EXC
BBQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #66
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Beware KTM riders with AXES

DanInCT and I rode the trail today. First up, thanks Hulked Up for starting this. Great ride and if you haven't done it yet you should.

Typical scenery:

Rest stop:

We too ran across the blockage on old Rte 9:

But we were undeterred, here's Dan having at it:

And me doing a bald Sasquatch imitation:

But we prevailed where others had failed and made a path through thanks to the old guy on the bicycle with the axe and machete:

And made it to the Indian who looks like he's smoking some dope from this angle:

Next stop is to merge it with some VT roads for an even bigger loop.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #67
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would love to see some people work on New Hampshire and Maine connections so we could have a Trans New England trail network. But, I have no time for that anymore (3 month old son).

BTW, that last picture by the Big Indian store...there is an abandoned drive-in movie theater right next door. You can see the old green and white sign behind the horse in the last picture. If you ride back there you can see the old projection room/snack bar/rest rooms, the original speaker stands and the rows where people parked. I believe the theater closed in the 1960's and it's pretty much been untouched since (no screen however). Worth checking out.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #68
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
two Noobs had a blast

Yesterday, I led two ladies on the TMT . First time in the dirt for either one. One had a r100 Mystic BMW and the other one of the new F650GS twin BMW . Couldn't wipe the smile off their faces.

Hulked , thanks for the great effort. I don't see the link anymore . Could you re-post so they can download it and do it on their own ? Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #69
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

See Post 36 here to get the downloadable file (thanks to AugustFalcon for hosting it). For some reason I could not add the attachment to my posts. You can also email me and I'll send you the file via email.

I'm happy that people are using and enjoying the Trail!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #70
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

Oddometer: 68
North to South??

Hi Hulked Up,
Has anyone done the Trans Mass Trail from North to South? I inverted the file and it seems to be set up for North to South. I haven't tried that function before so I'm a bit nervous. I'll be returning home early next week by way of southern VT and thought it would be great to try.
Toro One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #71
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have not tried north to south. I intended it as a way to connect to Vermont and do the Puppy Dog Route. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done however. Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #72
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

Re Puppy Dog Trail

I'll actually be coming down the PDT from North to South, so hopefully this will work. I'll let you know for sure and offer up the inverted route file if it tracks ok.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #73
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
Rode Fred Snow Rd and Becket Rd yesterday. Lots of fun, no people.

One weird thing. There was a little dog in the woods following a bigger dog. The little dog looked a bit lost and scared, but the big dog seemed to know where he was going. No collars. Felt a little bad for the litte guy. I was trying to get them to come over to me but they wouldn't, finally a woman in an SUV pulled up behind me and was tending to them. I hate stuff like that.

Anyway, a photo of a perfect riding day...

dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #74
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

North towards the South

H Hulked up,
I couldn't stay with the Trail for long, but as far as I went, the inverted file worked perfectly. I'll post it for someone local to try if I can. My two sons and I left Woodford State Park near Bennington VT about 7am yesterday. I was leading on my Dakar and they followed in a 4Runner. We went up VT 100 to Ludlow and a few miles east to mile 48.? on the Puppy Dog Route southbound. I had left the trail there a few days earlier. We followed the PDR south to Vt 9 and they headed home. I continued on the route to Greenfield, filled up with gas and lunch and began the TMT. Since I had to end up in Newport RI, I broke off where Plainfield Rd meets MA 9, and followed 9 to I91. Home at 6pm ending a long and wonderful day. Hopefully, I'll get to complete the TAT this fall when a son and I are back up that way.

I found your route file much more stable than the PDR. The PDR track would wander off to the side and I ended up just following the roll chart I had made from their route sheets. I'm new to route stuff, but I suspect that all the way points you included and they didn't make the difference.

One caution. My Zumo 550 uses the TAT file as a gdb, and I had to convert it to gpx to upload. I have no idea if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all your work on the TAT. Great job!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx TransMassNorthtoSouth.gpx (133.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #75
Hulked Up OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks for the upload! Sounds like a fun trip. How were the road conditions? I haven't been on there much this year and we've gotten a lot of rain.

I think you'll enjoy the route south of Route 9 a bit more. More emphasis on dirt.

Keith