ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
Question FI error message #45: can I fix it myself???

I just did the 15 000km service on my 07' 990 Adventure.
But now when I'm in neutral, my FI light gives me the following error code:
FI blinks 4x long, 5x short, pause.

The owner's manual tells me that error #45 is
Signal / component: Lambda probe heater for rear cylinder
Error description: Short circuit to ground / positive

Is that something I can fix myself, or should I head straight to a KTM workshop?

Thanks for your help.
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
TheATrain
Pocket Full o'Shells
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: between East and West Mountain, Texas
Oddometer: 46
pinched wire?

you may have gotten a wire pinched during reassembly. I had a FI code come up too, and mine was loose connector. Don't worry though, the greatness of CPModem will shed some light on this. He even provided pictures on my particular problem. Good luck!
__________________
Alex

2012 Concours
2008 Husky TE510
TheATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
firebolter
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Annapolis Mary-Land
Oddometer: 605
Go trace the wire from the sensor up and see if you can find the issue. It is some kinda ground issue.........
__________________
2014 F800GSA
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2013 Berg TE300
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
Thanks guys.
My post was a little misleading as I didn't service the bike myself. A KTM workshop did. But I'll try to trace the problem.
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece
 
Sheep Shagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Where men are men and sheep get nervous
Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dahu
I just did the 15 000km service on my 07' 990 Adventure.
But now when I'm in neutral, my FI light gives me the following error code:
FI blinks 4x long, 5x short, pause.

The owner's manual tells me that error #45 is
Signal / component: Lambda probe heater for rear cylinder
Error description: Short circuit to ground / positive

Is that something I can fix myself, or should I head straight to a KTM workshop?

Thanks for your help.
Different code, but same problem. Details are here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Lambda
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Venteuri
I don't give a shit
 
Venteuri's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Queretaro , Mexico
Oddometer: 14,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dahu
Thanks guys.
My post was a little misleading as I didn't service the bike myself. A KTM workshop did. But I'll try to trace the problem.
IMO take the bike back and make them repair the problem... aftertall you paid for the service, right?
__________________
Triumph Boneville T100 2014
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
It's real easy to get the rear lambda probe wire pinched in the left side crash bar clamp (if you have one). Or so it has been reported.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
Thanks a lot cpmodem and friends!
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian
 
hondahawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Oddometer: 799
same problem reported here and fixed myself..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341022
__________________
-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
I stripped the left tanks on Saturday, and the cable is not obstructed or pinched by anything.
The error message keeps on coming up.

I think I'll drop the bike to a KTM workshop...
Unless I'm missing something.
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dahu
I stripped the left tanks on Saturday, and the cable is not obstructed or pinched by anything.
The error message keeps on coming up.

I think I'll drop the bike to a KTM workshop...
Unless I'm missing something.
If the wiring checks out, sounds like it did, it is very possible the Lambda sensor is bad. At the very least, now you have some knowlwdge so the 'stealer, will have a harder time trying to B.S. you.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
firebolter
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Annapolis Mary-Land
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dahu
I stripped the left tanks on Saturday, and the cable is not obstructed or pinched by anything.
The error message keeps on coming up.
Did you do a continuity check onthe wires to make sure there isn't a short somewhere? Sometimes the short is not always caused by a pinch. SOmetimes if the wire has been pulled is can cause the wiore to come out of connectors and such and cause a short.
__________________
2014 F800GSA
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2013 Berg TE300
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
I'll check again thanks.

My KTM workshop says that they never saw a faulty lambda sensor before...

2 questions:
Does anyone know if the 2 year warranty covers faulty lambda sensors?
Should I really be bothered by a faulty lambda sensor? In other words, can I ride without it?
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dahu
I'll check again thanks.

My KTM workshop says that they never saw a faulty lambda sensor before...

2 questions:
Does anyone know if the 2 year warranty covers faulty lambda sensors?
Should I really be bothered by a faulty lambda sensor? In other words, can I ride without it?
When the ECU senses a bad sensor it changes from closed loop mode and enables a preset map. Performance and fuel mileage will suffer as the FI will no longer adjust to engine and ambient atmosphere conditions. The Lambda sensor should be covered under the warranty. Your KTM workshop should have told you that when they said that they haven't ever seen a faulty lambda sensor.
Just sayin'
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Le Dahu OP
Katse rider
 
Le Dahu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Johannesburg
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
When the ECU senses a bad sensor it changes from closed loop mode and enables a preset map. Performance and fuel mileage will suffer as the FI will no longer adjust to engine and ambient atmosphere conditions. The Lambda sensor should be covered under the warranty. Your KTM workshop should have told you that when they said that they haven't ever seen a faulty lambda sensor.
Just sayin'
Thanks again cpmodem!
My KTM workshop doesn't even know if the lambda sensor is covered under the warranty!
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014