KLR650 59 32.78%
DR650 121 67.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
bruh44 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Kawasaki KLR650, or Suzuki DR650?

I plan on picking up a dual sport here shortly. But I'm kind of shopping in the dark. So far I like the KLR's a bit more. They have a few extras the DR's don't as far as I can tell. So what do you think?
bruh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
dr650bc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Had a DR - picked it over the KLR as it was sportier(handling), smoother, capable of being lowered(factory engineered), and lighter. Ended being a great bike for 5 yrs before I moved up to the V-Strom. I have a few posts showing some trips if your are interested.
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruh44
I plan on picking up a dual sport here shortly........................... So what do you think?
KTM 640
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
bruh44 OP
Adventurer

I like those KTM supermoto bikes, but they're way to expensive for me. This is the begining of a hobby for me, guns, are my ongoing hobby. You have to be rich to afford both, and I'm not. Infact I may end up selling my M1A so I can get a newer bike.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
txhardcore
KLR A-11

Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
I plan on picking up a dual sport here shortly. But I'm kind of shopping in the dark. So far I like the KLR's a bit more. They have a few extras the DR's don't as far as I can tell. So what do you think?
I picked the KLR for these reasons-bigger tank, water cooled (TX heat), wider seat. That's the advantages of the KLR. The lighter DR is easier to handle in the dirt and the thinner seat isnt a problem on short trips. It isnt about which bike is better it's more about which bike is best for you. What are your expectations of the bike you are going to ride.
txhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
welcome to the assylum bubba! i see you followed the trail of breadcrumbs i left!

it seems to depend on whatcha want to do with it... many seem to prefer he KLR if yer gonna do lotsa miles and lotsa highway, with some dirt.

ohh, one more trail for you to follow...

www.multisurfacemotorcycling.com
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
bruh44 OP
Adventurer

And thank you for the trail...

Well I think I'll be riding mostly on the road, but there are alot of National forest service roads around here I'd like to check out. I'm not looking to get into hard core dirt biking, just wanna do some exploring, and have some fun is all.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:47 AM   #8
topes
Banned

Oddometer: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhardcore
I picked the KLR for these reasons-bigger tank, water cooled (TX heat), wider seat. That's the advantages of the KLR. The lighter DR is easier to handle in the dirt and the thinner seat isnt a problem on short trips. It isnt about which bike is better it's more about which bike is best for you. What are your expectations of the bike you are going to ride.
Tell them the truth. You chose the KLR cause you were able to steal it from the retarded dude who formerly owned said motorcycle. You know you really wanted a Honda.
topes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 AM   #9
BigDave
Adventure Drummer

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
And thank you for the trail...

Well I think I'll be riding mostly on the road, but there are alot of National forest service roads around here I'd like to check out. I'm not looking to get into hard core dirt biking, just wanna do some exploring, and have some fun is all.
I had a KLR for 4 years. Even though I liked the bike, I was never comfortable on the freeway. No power, the wind blows it around etc...
I did choose it over the DR at the time because of a smoother engine, water cooled and 6.4 gal tank. I know guys take the KLR all over the world, but not for me.

I know its more $, but have you considered a F650GS? What about a used big trailie?

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 AM   #10
Claim Jumper
will work for knobbies

Oddometer: 520
I ride a KLR so I am biased towards this model. A friend of mine had a DR 650 till recently (he got a DRZ 400) and it was a cool bike, very different feeling from the KLR. I don't think the DR is that much superior to the KLR in offroad, dirt road stuff. I personally felt it was a little short for me and somewhat cramped. This would get old fast on the highway. The KLR is OK on the road but not an all day highway bike for me. I will ride it all day on gravel roads though, anytime.
Claim Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,182
I spose that since I ride a KLR, I should select it in the poll, but as has been said, it really depends on what you want to do. Plus, I have not ridden a DR, only looked at'em. I'd very much like to ride one.

I think of the KLR as a modern version of a good ol' general purpose big Brit single--"modern" meaning early 80's technology. It looks more like a dirt bike than it is. I've done several 600+ mile days on it, no sweat.

The DR looks even more like a dirt bike, a mid-90's dirt bike. There is less of it, which is generally good, but the cockpit is even more cramped than the KLR--a lot more. It would really hurt me after awhile on the highway. There's not much room for luggage. But the design is objectively better, as is the build quality.

All in all, they're more alike than they are different. Neither is a KTM nor ever could be.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
sandersr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
When I bought my y2k KLR, I tried to talk myself into a DR650 but couldn’t. Now 4 years & 20k miles later, I’m sure I made the best choice because:

• Compare the seats, the DR’s is like sitting on a narrow log.
  • The KLR comes with:
A tachometer

A luggage rack

A bigger fuel tank

A decent seat
  • There is tons of practical accessories for the KLR650. More than for the DRs.
  • There seems to be more information available on the web for the KLR650
  • I like my 7 gallon IMS tank I got for my KLR650
  • In y2k the DR650 actually cost more than the KLR650. This has since changed.
sandersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
CCH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I echo the "pick which is best for your uses" theme. I have the KLR650. It is not an ideal highway bike, but I'd much prefer it to a DR650 in that capacity. If I were a serious off-roader, I probably wouldn't pick either. For commuting, forest service roads and general wandering I find my KLR650 tough to beat for the money.
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersr
The KLR comes with:
A tachometer

yup, so it does, but i'm curious how many riders shift by the tach and how many shift by ear?

having said that, it's curious than my '92 Ford Ranger with a manual trany had no tach, but the '96 with the automatic has one. hmmmm...
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #15
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
they're way to expensive for me. This is the begining of a hobby for me, guns, are my ongoing hobby. You have to be rich to afford both, and I'm not.
You should look at the used market then, and not invest a whole lot. It's too bad you didn't get started during the winter. Prices are lower then.

If you get a good price on one, you should be able to ride it for a while, and then sell it for just about what you paid for it if you decide you don't like it.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote