User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
ADVLady OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Cool2 Best Tires for '87 Honda Helix?

What tires would you recommend for the '87 Honda Helix? And why?
Old owner let her sit in garage too long and has dry rot.
ADVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 175
Hi Lady! I've been contemplating changing trying to change tires to white walls but there are none out there that fit. So it looks like I will either be painting the white walls on the tires, using the Port-O-Wall inserts, or my latest idea is to have the alloy wheels powder coated with white rims and black spokes which should give the same effect!

But back to your question.....in my quest to see if other tires sizes would work, it is definitely the consensus of this board that the Manufacturer's suggested tire is the very best tire for the Helix in terms of wear, performance and comfort. The tire that came with the Helix when purchased new was by Bridgestone. The Fronts are the Bridgestone ML17A 110/100-12 and the rears are the Bridgestone ML16 120/90-10. I believe that they also go by the model name Bridgestone Molas.

Hope this helps.
StingerCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I can't specifically address the Helix since I don't own one - yet. But don't scrimp on quality. On my bikes, my #1 concern is wet weather performance. Probably because I hate riding in the rain. I'd rather buy new tires every 6 months than ride one mile in the rain on squirrelly tires. Longevity doesn't mean squat for me.

I currently have Avon on the Triumph and Pirelli on the Big Ruckus. I think the China scoot has Michelins.

MiniBike screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 07:51 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,190
Well there the less used brand that are ok kenda, shinko but don't stop as well in rain. They also don't get the same mileage . 3000 K instead of 4500 to 5500 K on the Rear . The fronts getts around 9000 . Also tread patterns are a factor. Some are block like and meant for snow , mud , rain . Others are made for more sport like riding on road. Bridgestone ML16/17's). Seem to be what other say to use based on mileage . That a really big thing if you re paying someone else to mount you tires. 50 plus bucks at most shops. Mileage vs cost of more changes really adds up.
To really find out more just google honda helix best tires :forum . By adding :Forum goolge will show more forum posting . anyway here just use this and do some reading . https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...t&pws=0&hl=all
Old 11-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Jarlaxle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Absolutely critical point: most of the OE Bridgestone tires for a Helix are L-rated, good to only 62MPH. If you ride highways (or even fast 2-lanes), I would look elsewhere!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
ADVLady OP
Adventurer

Hey, thanks guys! All good points. Though I should have mentioned that I'm in Southern California so rain is not often a problem! LOL. More often than not it would be little sand/rock slides you have to watch for...

Handling is definitely my biggest factor. Then wear. This poor Helix has been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. Tires show some dry rot. Not comfortable going any further than the one mile to the store and back! It's only 35 mph that way.

StingerCo, I will want to see the whitewall photos when you get that done!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVLady View Post
Hey, thanks guys! All good points. Though I should have mentioned that I'm in Southern California so rain is not often a problem! LOL. More often than not it would be little sand/rock slides you have to watch for...

Handling is definitely my biggest factor. Then wear. This poor Helix has been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. Tires show some dry rot. Not comfortable going any further than the one mile to the store and back! It's only 35 mph that way.

StingerCo, I will want to see the whitewall photos when you get that done!
And your forget to say you have to watch out for old rock and roll geezers whom randomly stumbling into traffic and shout out STOP in the name of love before you break my fart. Or when you finger them they say Man Can't you just let it ride. At that point you saying We re not going to take , no were not going to take it . Then I guess We hear that Janny Got a gun and things are never going to be the same . Frankly If I say that I would end up Walking this way becuase I saw the cops and I ve got drugs in my pocket and I don't know what to do with them.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
The Bridgestone Molas ML16/17 are THE BEST tires for the Helix. Do more research from other Helix riders, they will all say the same thing. Just a matter of getting the correct size. Don't worry about the speed rating, they came stock with them means it is fine/safe. The Helix is a 250 but it doesn't have a very high top speed compared to more modern 250s. They grip fine and last a looong time, twice as longs as other tires.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
rut3556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
The Bridgestone Molas ML16/17 are THE BEST tires for the Helix. Do more research from other Helix riders, they will all say the same thing. Just a matter of getting the correct size. Don't worry about the speed rating, they came stock with them means it is fine/safe. The Helix is a 250 but it doesn't have a very high top speed compared to more modern 250s. They grip fine and last a looong time, twice as longs as other tires.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Jarlaxle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
A Helix will EASILY exceed the speed rating of the OE tires! Mine had no trouble pulling past 70!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
ADVLady OP
Adventurer

Thanks Rut3556, Dabinche, Jarlaxle. Any thoughts on the Pirelli SL26? Read somewhere else people really liked them. That's what we went with for now but can change later. Speed rating is only 62mph but My Helix is a bit slow still and plan to stay off freeways. Freeway traffic is crazy here!

Fullmetalscooter, I have yet to run into any of those! :)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
SL26 will only last half of the Molas...stick to the ML 16/17
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 2,162
So how are the tires working out?